Seized distributor bearing left me stranded =( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I own a 1984 fj60, two weeks ago I was coming back from a trip with my wife and friends. We stopped too sightsee and when we jumped back on the car it wouldnt start. After hours of trial and error I realized that when the engine turned the distributor didn't.

After taking the distributor apart I found that it's bearing had seized and caused to seize the whole distributor shaft and broke the pin.

The problem I have now is that I cannot find a replacement bearing.

I am attaching a picture below.

If anyone can please tell me wich online store carries this part I will be very grateful.

IMG-20200227-WA0008.jpg

Looks like a skateboard bearing.. I don't suppose you have a caliper with you?

Ugh that sucks. Did you get a tow? Does anyone have an idea about how to limp home when this happens?

Install your spare distributor. Otherwise, there is no limp home.

Well, it functioned as it should: If distributor freezes, pin is supposed to shear to save the Camshaft/engine...

Is the distributor a USA-spec distributor, since you're posting from Bolivia ... or ? I think the USA-spec is the only one that has that bearing but not sure...

If you have trouble getting your dissy together or parts, you can run a 2F points distributor.

You might try Mercado Libre for the bearing.

Last edited:
Well, it functioned as it should: If distributor freezes, pin is supposed to shear to save the Camshaft/engine...

Is the distributor a USA-spec distributor, since you're posting from Bolivia ... or ? I think the USA-spec is the only one that has that bearing but not sure...

If you have trouble getting your dissy together or parts, you can run a 2F points distributor.

Thanks @Spike Strip for the link to MERCADO LIBRE, unfortunately that listing is in Venezuela and I am in Bolivia, my dizzy carries the bearing, and to get home I had a friend drive 130 kms with a points dizzy to drive back home.

I just managed to measure it and I think these are the measurements:
Internal diameter 0.0485"
external diameter 1.255" and
width 0.4".

I think it will be easier to have it shipped from the US or Europe than from Venezuela.

Thanks @Spike Strip for the link to MERCADO LIBRE, unfortunately that listing is in Venezuela and I am in Bolivia, my dizzy carries the bearing, and to get home I had a friend drive 130 kms with a points dizzy to drive back home.

Thats exactly what I did. =(
width 0.4".

I think it will be easier to have it shipped from the US or Europe than from Venezuela.

There are no bearing supply places in Bolivia ? Even an Auto parts store should be able to get it...

It's a common bearing and even a place with limited supply should have it.

Bearing size in mm for 6201 DU Sealed Ball Bearing is 12x32x10.

Good luck.

width 0.4".

There are no bearing supply places in Bolivia ? Even an Auto parts store should be able to get it...

It's a common bearing and even a place with limited supply should have it.

Bearing size in mm for 6201 DU Sealed Ball Bearing is 12x32x10.

Good luck.
Yes you're right I have found the 6201 bearing but after measuring mine and being told by the parts supplier that it was in inches I got these measurements

Internal diameter 0.0485" 1.2319 mm
external diameter 1.255" 31.877 mm
width 0.4". 10.16 mm

And there is some variations.

Do you think it wont make much difference?

I guess the best way to see is trial and error.

I'll try and let you now how it goes.

O

width 0.4".

Yes you're right I have found the 6201 bearing but after measuring mine and being told by the parts supplier that it was in inches I got these measurements

Internal diameter 0.0485" 1.2319 mm
external diameter 1.255" 31.877 mm
width 0.4". 10.16 mm

And there is some variations.

Do you think it wont make much difference?

I guess the best way to see is trial and error.

I'll try and let you now how it goes.

One last thing I havent found is the safety pin. Wich type of metal would you recommend.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

O

One last thing I havent found is the safety pin. Wich type of metal would you recommend.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Auto parts store should have something that will work.

I looked into the size of the distributor gear pin recently, a #7 drill size bit is just about the right diameter - 0.2010" or 5.11mm, a bit smaller than 13/64" and a bit larger than 5mm. Trouble is the steel drill bit is very hard, I haven't tried to cut one to length (~19mm long) or peen/mushroom the ends once it's installed.

@antrax fj60

I realize this was a few years ago, but did you ever get this sorted?

@4Cruisers, did you pin down the bearing, a 6201 or 83805C3 ?

Thanks!

@4Cruisers, did you pin down the bearing, a 6201 or 83805C3 ?
I've been harvesting new distributor bearings from Toyota 4M 6-cylinder engines used in the Cressida. They are Koyo 83805 bearings - I still have about 25 of them.

For gear pins, I use 0.204" machinable drill rod from McMaster-Carr. A very slight amount of filing while turning a short length in a drill makes them a nice tight fit. I put the pins in the freezer for a while before I drive them in.

Where is the sealed bearing in the dizzy? When I tore mine down, I only saw loose ball bearings under the breaker plate but no sealed bearing. I don't see it in the schematics in the 2f manual either.

Where is the sealed bearing in the dizzy? When I tore mine down, I only saw loose ball bearings under the breaker plate but no sealed bearing. I don't see it in the schematics in the 2f manual either.
The bearing is a press fit inside the aluminum housing, underneath the base of the cam. You can see the top of the bearing with the breaker plate removed. I'll post a photo in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom