seatbelt light always on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - I've seen similar posts on the other tech forums, but wondering if anyone knows a likely culplrit for this on the 80?

As title implies, the red airbag/seatbelt light started randomly going on then off for a while. Now its just always on and never goes off.

Its one of those annoying things, and I'm wondering if there's a common issue that can be fixed or tweaked to get this thing to turn off or behave?

Thanks
Glenn W

Download the FSM and EWD from the Resources section, for your year model. The airbag and seatbelt lights are two separate circuits. Typically, the airbag light is a connector housing fault. The connector is under the steering wheel. The seatlbelt light is connected to the switch in the seatbelt anchor. Both of these are described in the FSM/EWD.

Download the FSM and EWD from the Resources section, for your year model. The airbag and seatbelt lights are two separate circuits. Typically, the airbag light is a connector housing fault. The connector is under the steering wheel. The seatlbelt light is connected to the switch in the seatbelt anchor. Both of these are described in the FSM/EWD.
For the life of me, I can't ever remember seeing a seatbelt warning lamp on my LX450 or my 91 FJ80. Where is it on the combination meter?

Next to the MIL. Of course, if you've permanently disabled the buzzer by closing the switch, you'll never see it.

This is a Land Cruiser, not a Lexus LX450, but I would think the combo meter is the same.

Dash lights, key on, engine off.jpg

Next to the MIL. Of course, if you've permanently disabled the buzzer by closing the switch, you'll never see it.

This is a Land Cruiser, not a Lexus LX450, but I would think the combo meter is the same.
LOL, I've never seen this light on either truck. OK, now I'm curious.
I've got to hunt for the seatbelt warning relay. It looks like it's in the left kick above the relay block. I'd lay odds that mine is missing. Never heard a buzzer, never saw a light on the dash.

You are correct:
1700266582566.png

It's tucked away in the upper corner, where you can't get at it. Fortunately, verifying it's not there is far easier than removing it.

Thanks everyone for the replies here. According to @Malleus s comment, I'm guessing this is airbag sensor, not seatbelt. Unless this light is also used for DS seatbelt. Although, I could not find any housing for it, and OBD2 is not throwing any codes. Last time when I had an ABS light throw, I just tapped the relay box and it magically went away. Maybe I am being too hopeful this could be a similar solution for this one.

IMG_20231128_143621.jpg

That is indeed the airbag error light. The most common cause is removing the airbag from the main harness without first disconnecting the battery. The airbag computer thinks it's lost power and turns the light on. Mine's been on for years, because I did exactly that.

You'll never get a DTC with your OBDII plugin. You have to use the connector on the engine side of the firewall. Details in the FSM.

In my case, one of the tabs on the federally mandated impossible to unclip connector housing is broken. I keep forgetting to get one when I'm at the salvage yard. If I could find a '93-'94 steering wheel, I'd toss the stupid thing in the trash.

FWIW, the seatbelt light is only for the driver's seat.

The most common cause is removing the airbag from the main harness without first disconnecting the battery.
Are you referring to the steering wheel airbag or the passenger airbag in the dash? I ask because I have removed the steering wheel airbag several times without disconnecting the battery with no issues.

Steering wheel airbag. The FSM says, and the Master Toyota tech I asked agreed, the error is supposed to clear itself. Mine never has.

I've had this error on both of my '95 80s. On my spare 80 (yes I have a spare), I was able to clear using the method in the FSM on the DLC1 on the firewall. My DD, won't clear for love nor money. I suspect it's due to the connector housing tab which is broken and doesn't provide enough secure engagement. I don't rely on the airbag for life safety, so it's not a deal breaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom