Builds Sean's j4 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys welcome to my build! To startoff, im fairly new to the cruiser lifestyle and offroad drivin (compared to some of you others on here) But my intentions are simple, build a bad ass fj40 that will do well on the trails, rocks and also be somewhat of a daily driver (i.e. beer runs and auto parts chaser) Eaiser said than done. Well after lots of planning, configuring and mainly just staring at parts I finally have some solid ideas on the setup. Basically the combo will be,

Fj40 tub cut to 45 tub with 3in added
Fj80 frame axles ect.
Fjz80 rear axle
Nv4500
Fj60 t case
5.3l lq9
37mtr
This is gonna be as much fun to build as it'll be to drive!

Forgot to take more pics but did get these

20150916_093259.jpg

As it sits here, I'd say the cab could go back about 2-3in to fit the wheel well better, any suggestions appreciated

Oh, this is going to be a good one.:popcorn:
The 1fz-fe generally needs to go back on the 80 frame to look proportionate to a J4 body, which means you loose the gas tank. But if you have searched you know this.
This is a option of mine that I also want to build. Mine will be a bobbed troopy or fj43 size.
Look up Redline Cruisers ute project.
Later I can share some other thought to help if you ask, don't want to derail your thread.
Here on mud, we like lots of pictures... keepem coming.

Last edited:
Ill be running a 5.3l chev engine. Hopefully i can keep the tank underneath but if not, so be it.
Also considering an fj43 size stretched tub.

Right now my idea is to have a utility type flat bed with access from the cabin to the bed to try and gain the benefits from having both the small cab and a covered bed with open cabin door.

As cool as fj45's look, I cant stand how small the cabs are. I vote for a fj43 tub. Plus sometimes on the trail its nice to recline the seat way back and relax or take a quick nap. Driving to moab I got really tired, pulled over reclined the seat way back, and took an hour nap. No way I could do that in a 45. Yes the front looks funky with the wheels that far back, Redline's rig actually left the front axle looking like that. I like the front axle to be stretched forward quite a bit for approach angle and looks. This body is cool:
#4060 1968-1978 FJ40 Body - Stretched 10"

Do you have pics or drawings?
Postem up.
I have hundreds of pics that is close to this look. The great thing about a J4 body is its game on anything goes behind the B pillar or door post. 43,44,45,46,47 ute or troopy their all the same. The strait square body is a body man's dream.

Last edited:
love it! I'll watch this one. I am doing a 60 frame similar to this on my "project 16". made the 45 cab. I gotta get working on it again...

Cool man! Post a link to it and ill follow. This project is on pause for a moment while I finish my 60 sbc swap, which is almost driving, soo stoked!!

Alright! So after getting the AA Christmas package I went straight to work on the drivetrain. Forgot to take pics of installing the adapter shaft and cutting the existing output shaft but its pretty simple.

I was tired of bonking my head on the Damn frame rails while messing with the front caster that I decided to chop off some of the frame yp front too.
20160328_132708.jpg
20160328_132648.jpg

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but that's the load sensing proportioning valve (LSPV), assuming it connects to the rear axle. It adjusts you're brakes depending on the load in your bed. You can pull it and replace it with a manual valve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom