Seals and gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got a question about the theory on OE seals and gaskets.

Ive read a lot of "use OE Toyota main seals, head gaskets, wheel bearing seals" etc.

And at $10-20 a pop for seals (say a trans seal or rear wheel bearing seal) and $50 for say a head gasket, it doesnt really break my budget if its going to guarantee a leak free service for a plethora of miles....so I buy OE. I drink the koo-laid, ane buy Toyota OE. Saving some money on seals doesnt offset the snowball effect.

Although I do wonder. What is the difference between a $12 trans input seal from Toyota and the $8 jobber seal from the parts store? I can venture to guess the difference between a $3 jobber seal and a $12 Toyota seal, but at the $8 "premium" aftermarket price point, is there a difference?

I also had a borderline catastrophic marlin T case seal failure. Which is considered premiun. It was around 10 years old, but on the front output so only saw a handful of actual turning miles. Didnt leak before total failure. The inside seal lip split off and dropped oil buy the cup full anytime the shaft spun. Makes me wonder if I should ONLY run Toyota OE in every application.

Last edited:
I've had three Felpro headgaskets fail on me. Two within 10K miles. I installed neither.

Marlin's seals are over rated. How many have been sucked into there super duper axle seals? Ya, mine are leaking. I also had a front transmission seal fail on a Marlin rebuilt transmission. Soaked my clutch. Cost me over $1k to fix. Tranny was 4 years old.

Generally speaking, aftermarket parts get their value from being more universal. Being universal means making compromises. Roll the dice where you can if you wish. If the OE part lasted 30 years...

I recently bought transmission which i was told was a marlin built unit. I've been finding the seals and gaskets from Toyota to fix all the leaks. No idea how long it had Marlin seals put in it but the seller told me the Toyota seals are junk and only get Marlin. Well he might be right but this transmission was covered with gunk so i am thinking i might just try Toyota and see how it goes... In general i have not had an issue with Toyota stuff with the exception of valve cover gaskets on the 3.4 where i found felpro to work better than Toyota. Now that could be more of a "me" issue than a Toyota quality issue.

His front inners have been head and shoulders better than the oe, ime.
I've had three Felpro headgaskets fail on me. Two within 10K miles. I installed neither.

Marlin's seals are over rated. How many have been sucked into there super duper axle seals? Ya, mine are leaking. I also had a front transmission seal fail on a Marlin rebuilt transmission. Soaked my clutch. Cost me over $1k to fix. Tranny was 4 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom