SD40 Tech Assistance Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mattressking

10 digits to freedom
Threads
It appears that the step-up rod for the ~64-67 SD40 has a specific height that is measured utilizing the following oem carburetor adjust kit:

09240-60020

The unfortunate part - I can't find a single one that has been for sale or even mentioned outside of the FSM. Does anyone have this kit to reference the length of the step-up rod gage? I'm curious to know the baseline length as it doesn't exist anywhere and multiple guesses aren't my preferred starting point.

More details below. I've scoured every piece of SD40 information I could and all lead to nothing so far. @red66toy and I are keen to find out what anyone has seen over the years.

1674505918300.png

1674505876362.png

Step-up rod stroke is (after measuring) appears to be the stroke from the bottom of the step-up rod assembly, externally, at the butterfly linkage. After measuring (with throttle stop screw not touching housing per FSM) is 10mm. This still unfortunately doesn't help with step-up rod.

1674507376684.png

Last edited:
FOR REFERENCE ONLY - THIS IS the later 1BBL. This is the idea of what I'm lookin for, the length from surface of the main jet to the pin on the step-up rod.

1674509804686.png

No help here, I dug through everything I have (Keyster kits, Mike's carb stuff, ...), nothing wrt to that dimension. Checked National and Daytona in Florida, nothing there that I could find. Have you tried searching Pirate (I don't follow that board)? I was able to acquire a step-up tool for my Carter WA-1 Carbs which are at least as old as the SD40 Aisins, tool still available from dinosaurs on ebay. We need an Aisin dinosaur :D.

Last edited:
Getting closer here, thanks to @red66toy have successfully found measurements for early and late but not the 64-67. Pretty ridiculous that the 64-67 refers to the tool kit but everything before and after shows a measurement. I'm hoping a reference to the metering rod in the correct position on one of these carbs can give a reference point on where the metering rod should land in the jet.

1674514679245.png

1674514711749.png

No help here, I dug through everything I have (Keyster kits, Mike's carb stuff, ...), nothing wrt to that dimension. Checked National and Daytona in Florida, nothing there that I could find. Have you tried searching Pirate (I don't follow that board)? I was able to acquire a step-up tool for my Carter WA-1 Carbs which are at least as old as the SD40 Aisins, tool still available from dinosaurs on ebay. We need an Aisin dinosaur :D.

No kidding! Have you seen an F engine service manual from 64/65? So far we can only find a '66, curious if an earlier version (if it exists) has the measurement.

My F engine manual is dated 1966. Haven't seen anything earlier.

Bumping this! Anyone have the tool and can measure it or know the measurement? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom