Scored A Used Hard Top Yesterday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David70FJ40

Older Than Most
Threads
I have been looking for one to put on my FST in the winter. Overall I believe it is in better condition than I expected. There is rust in all the usual places, the glass is unbroken and the gaskets need to be replaced, all of the gaskets in the top need to be replaced and the fiberglass top has two holes that will have to be repaired. I have 7 or so months to make the repairs before cold weather sets in so I have hopefully enough time. Now to find the steel doors.
DSCN0304.JPG
DSCN0305.JPG
DSCN0306.JPG
DSCN0307.JPG
DSCN0308.JPG

DSCN0309.JPG
DSCN0310.JPG
DSCN0311.JPG
DSCN0312.JPG
DSCN0313.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG
DSCN0315.JPG
DSCN0316.JPG
DSCN0317.JPG

Back in the nineties it seemed you couldn't give away a hard top while jeep tops were going for a premium. I picked two tops for $400. Both rust free and included ambulance doors. Had to travel 100 miles each way two trips but still think it was worth it.

I plan to do what I can but I am not a fabricator and don't know how to weld. The hot rod shop I have been working with is very good and their hourly rate is only $35/hr so I will take one piece at a time over there for them to replace the rusty places and prepare it for paint.

When Coyote Cruisers was closing up they had a line of hardtop they were getting rid of 100 bucks a piece. Been about 10 years since. I need to restore mine. I'm thinking of drilling out all the spot welds and separating the panels to clean the rust between the panels. Doesn't seem too hard.

My 73 FST came with a hard top and doors from a 72. Has a plaque on the hatch from a dealer in Missouri. Has yellow plugs in the double wall areas of the sides. Believe it's Z bar or some type of rust proofing. Seems it worked. Sides are in good shape, top gutter is rusted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom