School is out, the fun begins. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question guys.

How do I get the "key" off the crankshaft to remove the timing gear?

We banged on it with a big flathead and rubber mallet, but no success.

Well I didn't get the crank key thingy off.

But I got something done :D

IMG_2095.jpg

1-3
IMG_2096.jpg

4-6
IMG_2097.jpg

The Head

IMG_2098.jpg

I should have took pictures after I cleaned the head gasket off the block. :doh:

More to come tomorrow :bounce:

Quick question guys.

How do I get the "key" off the crankshaft to remove the timing gear?

We banged on it with a big flathead and rubber mallet, but no success.
If it is a Woodruff Key (rounded bottom - varying depth slot) I use a small chisel and a small hammer. Be sure that the chisel is wider than the key. Place the tip against the end of the key with the face leading back from the cutting edge laid flat on the shaft. Lightly tap the chisel, using it more as a wedge than a chisel to lift up and drive out the key. If the key is really stuck you may need to make the chisel bite into the end of the key, and then angle the chisel so that it's driving the key up out of the slot as much as reasonably possible.

If it is a square bottomed slot, then you'll want to use a punch and drive it towards the open end of the slot.

More Progress :bounce:

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

Picture of the crank. It's in the back of the cruiser haha.

IMG_2108.jpg

Block, head and flywheel going to the machine shop tomorrow morning :banana:

Last edited:
Am I totally wrong here? I rebuilt an old f-head jeep 134 and upon realizing I had nothing to stop the motor from turning over when removing the crank pulley, I stuffed some clean shop towels in a couple cylinders on the compression stroke, bolted on the head, and cranked the crank nut until the towels jammed up and voila, off with the nut! No problem, and much less hassle than re-installing the motor just to keep it from turning.

ADD: Well I got over-zealous and missed the second page where the operation was sucessful. Still, in the future, I might feel a) weird about bungling up the teeth with all that leveraging and b) towels in the head take no fabricating whatsoever.

Last edited:
Am I totally wrong here? I rebuilt an old f-head jeep 134 and upon realizing I had nothing to stop the motor from turning over when removing the crank pulley, I stuffed some clean shop towels in a couple cylinders on the compression stroke, bolted on the head, and cranked the crank nut until the towels jammed up and voila, off with the nut! No problem, and much less hassle than re-installing the motor just to keep it from turning.

ADD: Well I got over-zealous and missed the second page where the operation was sucessful. Still, in the future, I might feel a) weird about bungling up the teeth with all that leveraging and b) towels in the head take no fabricating whatsoever.

you can bend or break the valves if it was on an exhaust stroke. as the valve would be down. the piston pushing the towels up into the valves ya know.

as far as messing up the teeth on the flywheel...
if you mess them up by prying on them then you should have been looking for a new flywheel anyhow as thats where the starter engages and turns the motor over. which over time really is quite alot of abuse.

as far as messing up the teeth on the flywheel...
if you mess them up by prying on them then you should have been looking for a new flywheel anyhow as thats where the starter engages and turns the motor over. which over time really is quite alot of abuse.

oh the flywheel is fine. the starter doesnt spin the engine very fast and none of the teeth were bent or badly scratched. so were in business. :D

First off it wasn't in the machine shop this long.

I have been really busy with Marching Band, it's state year and we haven't advanced since we won back in '96 so our directors are making us work harder and hoping to do well in state competition. And by "work harder" I mean I have more time now that school has started then I did during summer. No Joke. But anyway...

I got the block, head, and flywheel back about a week and a half after I left it there. Only $234 :)

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

It looks like the machinist may have replaced the galley plug? I can't tell though. It looks kinda new...

IMG_2285.jpg

And a shot of the mess

IMG_2286.jpg

Gonna pick up some paint this weekend, and get her coated up. I'm not sure on the color yet though. I was thinking maybe Cast Coat Iron Block, Low Gloss Black Head, and cleaned up and clear coated valve cover. Any thoughts?

Thanks Guy's :beer:

Last edited:
That engine block is waaaaaay too clean for a 60 :flipoff2:

Oh don't worry. The only reason I am painting it is to keep rust off but trust me it wont be clean very much :flipoff2:

Hey the block looks great. I had my machinist tap the galley plug and put a set screw in it with some loctite...makes for worry free driving!

As far as clear-coating the VC goes, aluminum is hard to paint. You need to etch it with a special solution (2 in fact). I use Gougeon Bros. West System 860 Aluminum Etch Kit - might be able to find it at West Marine (no relation).

Most restorers actually use an aluminum paint rather than a clear coat. Krylon's product is surprisingly good.

PROGRESS :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

Tell me what ya'll think :D
Masked

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

Un-Masked

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

I'm excited about this as well....

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

I'm happy :banana:

lookin good.

yea marching band... I remember those days...

I went to L.D. Bell. my junior year we took second place at nationals. My senior year i dropped band so i could afford my car payments at the time and they took first place in nationals.

i miss it all sometimes but i still play my horn so its all good.

lookin good.

yea marching band... I remember those days...

I went to L.D. Bell. my junior year we took second place at nationals. My senior year i dropped band so i could afford my car payments at the time and they took first place in nationals.

i miss it all sometimes but i still play my horn so its all good.

thanks cruisin

I march the sousaphone :D what did you play?

Long needed update.

Crank installed. Finally.

IMG_2394.jpg

Brake Booster.

IMG_2395.jpg

While bleeding the master cylinder we discovered the proportioning valve is bad. No brake fluid goes through the "R" marked section. Gonna have to get a new one.

Marching Band is eating my time. I'm glad I finally got some work done. :D

Good job on the engine. :) I painted my engine bay while I had my engine out.

Good job on the engine. :) I painted my engine bay while I had my engine out.

Thanks Norcal :) My paint is good enough for me. The car may happen to drive through a mud puddle or two on occasion so i'm not worried about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom