School is out, the fun begins. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crank pulley nut on the front of the engine comes off easy in the rig... I used the starter and the breaker-bar on the frame trick.

Unless you have good air then you will have to put it back in the rig.

can the engine go back in the car without the transmission and transfercase attatched? and still do the trick?

Post up & get a buddy with a big rattle wrench & portable compressor to stop by. Or bring it by my house (just kidding, kinda far).

What, exactly, are you going to do with the crank off? Are you rebuilding the top end? Full rebuild? Seals?

Have you rebuilt your t-case yet? That's a job I need to tackle due to some bearing whine.

What, exactly, are you going to do with the crank off? Are you rebuilding the top end? Full rebuild? Seals?

Have you rebuilt your t-case yet? That's a job I need to tackle due to some bearing whine.

Doing a full engine rebuild. All new bearings and seals.

I havent gotten to the case yet. I really need to get the engine into the machine shop for cleaning, were taking it apart ourselves to save money on labor.

I am just replacing the seals in the case, no new bearings or anything.

Post up & get a buddy with a big rattle wrench & portable compressor to stop by. Or bring it by my house (just kidding, kinda far).

If anybody could offer a wrench and compressor it would be greatly appreciated, my Dad wont buy one. :frown:

get a Big Freaking pry bar and get that engine so it doesnt move and stick the pry bar in the flywheel to hold it still then get you a even bigger and more bad Arse breaker bar and put your weight into it. we used a 36in prybar then got a 24in breaker bar and then stuck a jack handle out as far as we safely could on the breaker bar and i pulled... 1 loud pop and it pretty much spun off by hand once broke free.

thats what we did to a buddy of mine engine. it had the trans but no driveline and no electrical so we had to go old school with hand tools as the air compressor and a 1/2 in impact wasnt strong enough.

some crank pulleys are reverse thread....
the land cruiser is NOT a reverse thread it is like everything else counterclockwise to loosen.

get a Big Freaking pry bar and get that engine so it doesnt move and stick the pry bar in the flywheel to hold it still then get you a even bigger and more bad Arse breaker bar and put your weight into it. we used a 36in prybar then got a 24in breaker bar and then stuck a jack handle out as far as we safely could on the breaker bar and i pulled... 1 loud pop and it pretty much spun off by hand once broke free.

thats what we did to a buddy of mine engine. it had the trans but no driveline and no electrical so we had to go old school with hand tools as the air compressor and a 1/2 in impact wasnt strong enough.

some crank pulleys are reverse thread....
the land cruiser is NOT a reverse thread it is like everything else counterclockwise to loosen.

we had the flywheel and bellhousing on so we could brace with the bellhousing. I held the flywheel with a crowbar, my dad held the engine, and my 150 pound brother was on the end of a 3 foot long floor jack handle bouncing on it, and it did not break loose.

This landcruiser has no bad rust or anything, i dont know whats going on

Next time we'll try extending the jack handle on the breaker bar and see what happens

we had the flywheel and bellhousing on so we could brace with the bellhousing. I held the flywheel with a crowbar, my dad held the engine, and my 150 pound brother was on the end of a 3 foot long floor jack handle bouncing on it, and it did not break loose.

This landcruiser has no bad rust or anything, i dont know whats going on

Next time we'll try extending the jack handle on the breaker bar and see what happens

you need a bigger breaker bar. Im 200 lbs and i put all my weight on it. The breaker bar i had with the extension and stuff on it was around 4 feet long and me on it with all my weight and bouncing it took a bit. so you just have to keep working at it.
also remember any length that you add is more flex and movement if your scared of breaking the breaker bar or crow bar you need better quality tools. just put everything into it you have and it will bust off.
nothing less than a decent 3/4in impact is gonna even make it move. and with the impact you will still have to keep the flywheel from turning other wit it will very slowly turn the engine over thus making the impact loose some of its "blow" I tried using a top of the line Matco 1/2in impact and it did nothing at all.

Thanks Cruisin'. How did you go about securing the flywheel?

Next time i'll be the one jumpin. I'm about 210 :D

Agreed but go even bigger!!!

Thanks Cruisin'. How did you go about securing the flywheel?

Next time i'll be the one jumpin. I'm about 210 :D

kept tryin diferent places to wedge the prybar in the fly wheel and we eventually found the sweet spot.

Kline,

I'm down in Austin and I have an electric impact wrench that you can borrow.
It took off the 18yr old U-bolts from the front leaf springs last year. It should be able to brake the crank bolt if you can find a 1/2" socket to fit it.

You might be able to rig power to the starter and use the starter and the e-wrench to pop the bolt loose.

Send me a PM if you want to come get the wrench. I'm not headed north until Sunday morning or I'd offer to drop is sooner.

Kline,

I'm down in Austin and I have an electric impact wrench that you can borrow.
It took off the 18yr old U-bolts from the front leaf springs last year. It should be able to brake the crank bolt if you can find a 1/2" socket to fit it.

You might be able to rig power to the starter and use the starter and the e-wrench to pop the bolt loose.

Send me a PM if you want to come get the wrench. I'm not headed north until Sunday morning or I'd offer to drop is sooner.

no offense but an electric impact will do nothing. My impact is much stronger that any elec impact I split 2 good sockets in a matter of minutes at work one day.

my 1/2 will rip u bolts off of an 18 wheeler pretty quick and the nuts are 1-1/8. My 3/8's will pull head bolts out of a C-12 Cat engine after a second... an electric just wont cut it.

the truck below is one of the peterbuilts that comes with a C-12.
peterbuilt with C-12.jpg

So after a harbor freight ratchet set, a bolt, and a piece of angle iron later...

IMG_2094.jpg

Finally got the turd off. My brother drilled a hole in an 1/8" thick piece of angle iron and bolted it to the block so that it was in the teeth of the flywheel. and we bolted it down reall tight and then we got the wrench on there with about 3.5 feet of leverage then i stepped on it and it popped loose.

Popped the valve cover off.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

1 through 3

IMG_2092.jpg

4 through 6

IMG_2093.jpg

Gonna tear the top and bottom end apart tomorrow and hopefully get it ready for the machine shop to do its thing.

Booyah! Lookin good, but make sure that the machine shop remembers where to put the studs back. I've heard a couple of shops putting studs into the wrong holes.

So after a harbor freight ratchet set, a bolt, and a piece of angle iron later...

IMG_2094.jpg

Finally got the turd off. My brother drilled a hole in an 1/8" thick piece of angle iron and bolted it to the block so that it was in the teeth of the flywheel. and we bolted it down reall tight and then we got the wrench on there with about 3.5 feet of leverage then i stepped on it and it popped loose.

Way to push through and come up with something that works.
Ill have a :beer: in your honor since your not old enough yet.:flipoff2:

Way to push through and come up with something that works.
Ill have a :beer: in your honor since your not old enough yet.:flipoff2:

Haha thanks Cruisin. I'll stick with rootbeer for now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom