School a newb on E-Bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I actually flipped my Sondors Fold X on Craigslist for a good profit and placed an order for a Wallke X3 Pro despite a rather negative call to their customer service line :doh:

I don't know how you understood what the rep was saying. Those damn Germans.:hillbilly:

I just picked up a BMC Amp Alpenchallenge a few weeks ago as a commuter and love it so far. It was a decent amount of coin, but living in Northern California and driving a Land Cruiser is a more decent amount of coin. It’s been great so far. It’s cool to see someone else enjoying the wonders of electric motors on bikes.

B8F3937E-B94B-4A7F-9B7F-03080F952181.jpeg

@98 SNAKE EATER

As a long-time bicycle mechanic who has stepped away from that shoplife over the past few years, the growth of this market has been exponential. Looks like you're working your way through many issues that once plagued these bikes (and subsequently lower price point options) for some time. Many bike manufacturers whom never had batteries on their bikes, have made these bottom bracket based motors that allow for just about all other components to be found at your local bike shop. This can be helpful when not near home or truck if or more specialized part gives out.

As with adding gas motors to bikes, I can only recommend that safety measures be taken (or risk accepted) on getting these direct-to-consumer bikes out of the box. Looks like you've got yourself the know-how and some metric tools for working on the bikes. Especially make certain any folding parts are maintained and secured prior to each ride.

That being said, never owned one, but worked on a few. I'll be likely adding a full suspension E-MTB to my fleet in the coming year, manufacturer availability restrictions and what not. It'll be something with a Shimano/Bosch BB based motor that can be swapped out in case of future upgrade/failure. But for that type of bike, i'm already prepared to see $3-4k pricepoints without a motor, and past the $10k mark for motors with all the bells and whistles of the high-end bike marketplace. That arena is truly where many can argue for a licensed motorcycle/dirtbike.

Curious to see what bike you'll end up on next.

I just picked up a BMC Amp Alpenchallenge a few weeks ago as a commuter and love it so far. It was a decent amount of coin, but living in Northern California and driving a Land Cruiser is a more decent amount of coin. It’s been great so far. It’s cool to see someone else enjoying the wonders of electric motors on bikes.

View attachment 2523222

Nice pickup with the BMC!

I've been lovin this one so far :)

20201127-104034-Copy.jpg

Only gripe is that it doesn't fit in the Walmart bins when folded like the other smaller bikes :doh:

I'm able to fit it in the trunk of my van behind the 3rd row, but it takes up the entire space :confused:

What I liked about using the bins is that dirt and sand stays in the bin and not in the carpet :meh:

Yeah, your bin technique was very slick.

'Guess you're gonna need a bigger bin'. How do you like bouncing around on those fat tires?

Road a Trek ebike for the first time on an ebike today. Pedal assist and I just loved it. In the market now!

Picked up a nail this morning

Luckily, I Slimed both tires a couple weeks ago because I ride about 20-25 miles every morning and pushing it home would not be fun.

I knew exactly when I picked it up about 8 miles out as I could hear the constant ticking, but didn't even bother looking at it and just pedaled my arse off to get back.

Got home safe, pulled it out and sure enough it started hissing.

Then I just rotated it to the bottom, rocked it back and forth a few times and it sealed up instantly.

Filled it up to 20psi (it had dropped to about 15), tilted it on the kickstand and let it spin at WOT for about 10 seconds, then sprayed with soapy water to check for bubbles.

So far so good
20210524_094157.jpg
20210524_094200.jpg
20210524_094344.jpg
20210524_094508.jpg
20210524_095015.jpg

Made the mistake of riding a specialized Kenevo a few weeks back $$$$. Amazing rig up and down. Did my normal ~2k very up and back down in about half the time as usual. On a bike with a Boxxer up front and 180/180 of travel vs my 134/160 on my enduro. I’ll own something in this class of bikes in the next 1-2 years, probably when/if things settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom