Scheel-Mann Seat Install (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t think thier was any miscommunication, just my questions probably annoyed the heck out of him and based on my questions made the assumption that I was not going to be buying the seats so he gave up and become a 🤖

Nonetheless the Recaro should be in by early January. I will post some pics of the install.

I don’t think there was any miscommunication about it, just my questions probably annoyed the heck out of him and based on my questions he made the assumption that I was not going to be buying the seats so he gave up and become a 🤖

He probably deals with dozens of people per week who haven't done their research and only compare them to cheaper quality seats/complain about the prices.
I'm sure it's tiring.

I went with a pair of the Vario XXL Fs. They're still in a box but from inspecting them, the quality is beyond superb.

Has anyone else found it hard to get an answer via email during this covid mess? I never did her back from Toby/Scheelmann USA. I can think of 6 or 7 other places that have not responded to emails either. I figured now would be the time that people were even more tethered to tech. I haven't been sending out tons of emails trying to get "bargains" either, some were legitimate questions pertaining to use of an already purchased product. Oh well.

@TonyP how are you able to wait for install?!?! Haha.

@MrMikeyG I'm not sure about email, but I called him and he called me back within minutes. I've continued to call Toby with questions and he's been on top of all the responses!! He's been awesome.

@NorCalFJ100 ; Thanks. If I want to really pull the trigger, I will call him. I've fallen into a big maintenance list on the 80 though, so function trumps comfort for now.

Here's a quick photo of a test fist of some Varios I ordered. I'm still redoing the interior (you can see the MLV is almost done), and I even got a little extra material so I can do the door panels, but I'm moving slooooow on this project.

IMG_9606.jpeg

Here's a quick photo of a test fist of some Varios I ordered. I'm still redoing the interior (you can see the MLV is almost done), and I even got a little extra material so I can do the door panels, but I'm moving slooooow on this project.

View attachment 2486536

I can't wait for mine! Those look awesome with the gray interior!!!

Here are a few photos and notes for the install of the Vario XXL.

• The seats come assembled in the reclined position completely assembled but without the sliders.
73E543AC-2AC3-4ADB-8422-67E4ADAC85BC.jpeg

• The sliders came with hardware to attach to the seats.
  • To use the Planted brackets supply own hardware for bracket to sliders attachment. I Just used some 8.8 hardware store nuts and bolts, however I may source some other after some research.
    8BCEC2F0-819E-4680-A01B-4D023C4297C2.jpeg
  • The adjustment range fore/aft is greatly increased with the Planted brackets, creating far more legroom and adjustability for cargo, sleeping platforms etc.
    C7655DCF-53B9-4A6E-A34D-A89284180EDB.jpeg
    16998362-8A0D-435C-B65E-3A5290B768BD.jpeg
  • For later model 80’s the seat belt buckle will have to removed from your existing seat. I ordered some hardware that I hope fit the factory shouldered seat belt bolt, apparently these are hard to find M11 1.25 pitch. For now I used some hardened Class 10.9 hardware.
  • The drivers side has a seat belt warning light, I just removed the harness from my old stock seat to keep it plug and play. I am confident someone with more wiring ingenuity will have a better solution.
  • The armrest bolts must be removed from the seats to create holes for the armrest attachment and the new bolts that are supplied with the armrest. The armrest is a nice touch for the drivers side, this was the only step that I wanted clarification before I cut into the upholstery. Toby With S-M replied with a quick response that included additional pictures and instructions!
755E0CB8-77C6-49FB-B793-41F9F90B0AB8.jpeg

Last edited:
9D401DDF-215B-4481-9D97-1330910B6019.jpeg
n I am pleased with how well the brown seats match the remainder of the interior. I have a major wiring project planned for the winter which will require removing the interior, at that time I will connect the heat, determine how I match the rear seat with the fronts, address any issues/adjustments needed.

Here are a few photos and notes for the install of the Vario XXL.

• The seats come assembled in the reclined position completely assembled but without the sliders.
View attachment 2494665
  • The sliders came with hardware to attach to the seats.
  • To use the Planted brackets supply own hardware for bracket to sliders attachment. I Just used some 8.8 hardware store nuts and bolts, however I may source some other after some research. View attachment 2494666
  • The adjustment range fore/aft is greatly increased with the Planted brackets, creating far more legroom and adjustability for cargo, sleeping platforms etc. View attachment 2494670View attachment 2494667
  • For later model 80’s the seat belt buckle will have to removed from your existing seat. I ordered some hardware that I hope fit the factory shouldered seat belt bolt, apparently these are hard to find M11 1.25 pitch. For know I used some hardened Class 10.9 hardware.
  • The drivers side has a seat belt warning light, I just removed the harness from my old stock seat to keep it plug and play. I am confident someone with more wiring ingenuity will have a better solution.
  • The armrest bolts must be removed from the seats to create holes for the armrest attachment and the new bolts that are supplied with the armrest. The armrest is a nice touch for the drivers side, this was the only step that I wanted clarification before I cut into the upholstery. Toby With S-M replied with a quick response that included additional pictures and instructions!
View attachment 2494671

Can you elaborate a bit more on the seatbelt fix? We're you able to use your seatbelt right away or did you have to wait for that bolt?

I have a 97 and on track to get my seats next week. Just want to be prepared!!!

Can you elaborate a bit more on the seatbelt fix? We're you able to use your seatbelt right away or did you have to wait for that bolt?

I have a 97 and on track to get my seats next week. Just want to be prepared!!!

I just sourced the strongest 10.9 hardware I could locally and installed the seat belt buckle with the new bolt and nut for now, just not 100% satisfied with this solution.

My goal is to use the existing bolt that is shouldered for the buckle to fit properly, however finding a nut that pitch is very difficult. The stock seat has a nut welded onto the seat hardware for the buckle and the Planted brackets do not, requiring a nut to be used.

I just sourced the strongest 10.9 hardware I could locally and installed the seat belt buckle with the new bolt and nut for now, just not 100% satisfied with this solution.

My goal is to use the existing bolt that is shouldered for the buckle to fit properly, however finding a nut that pitch is very difficult. The stock seat has a nut welded onto the seat hardware for the buckle and the Planted brackets do not, requiring a nut to be used.

I see. That makes sense. I need to get on this! Haha. Please let me know if you find a solution. I'm in Los Angeles area. I'm sure there's someone around here supplies these.

I see. That makes sense. I need to get on this! Haha. Please let me know if you find a solution. I'm in Los Angeles area. I'm sure there's someone around here supplies these.

Yes, I hope they are out there, one comment from another thread listed them as rare as Unicorn farts!

If for some reason you don’t I ordered 10 from ARP in what I have read is the correct pitch, if they work I will send a couple your way!

Yes, I hope they are out there, one comment from another thread listed them as rare as Unicorn farts!

If for some reason you don’t I ordered 10 from ARP in what I have read is the correct pitch, if they work I will send a couple your way!

Thank you!! There's a few fastener places in the San Fernando valley I'll check with Monday.

The seat belt nut you are looking for is 7/16-20. Hard to believe, but it's true! I just went though this myself.

Thank you!! These look to be more available. What Class did you end up with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom