Scangauge/Engine Monitoring for 1HDT: Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at various engine monitoring gauge set ups and most of the info I can find is aimed at the FZJs. I'm definitely looking for an all-in-one gauge and not a cluster of pods.

The Scangauge is OBDII. I'm putting a pre-OBD 1HDT in my '95 and I'm not 100% sure yet how the wiring will work out but I'm assuming the OBDII port will completely bypassed.

Madman is a bit pricey and seems to only have 4 inputs? I could be wrong on that. (EDIT: I am wrong on that... further info down another post) I do like the alarm functionality of it. A rectangular gauge would fit better in planned cockpit setup, but this is definitely function over form.

What is everyone using on their diesels?

Last edited:
MGL Avionics Boost and EGT gauges ... madman is the automotive version if I understand it correctly.I have used MGL gauges in 3 of my vehicles over @ 2 decades and never had a problem ......

i have zeitronix zt-2. i really have liked it but it is expensive. i did recently try to buy another one for my fj40 and the customer service guy was as useful as a bag of wet mice. i asked a few very simple questions and he’d never give me a straight answer. i got fed up and went elsewhere. i bought a multi gauge from justraceparts. haven’t used it yet but it looks ok. the gauge is a plastic case while my zeitronix is an aluminum case. but it’s also a bunch cheaper.

I am looking at an Rasberry Pi, use to be an engine data logger board. Then may be use it as a head unit with android. There is some video on youtube and some indo on the web.
I did not start yet, just dreaming...

I've been looking at the "iDash" from Banks as a potential option. May need to call support to figure out what version to get to run it without an OBD port, but it should be able to accept a bunch of sensors. Data logging is also an option if you wanted it.

I like the iDash set up (other than wishing it was rectangular). But man does the price add up quick... The cheapest gauge is $279. For non-OBDII you need the 5 channel adapter (4 sensors and 1 frequency signal) is $350. And then the sensors are $50-100ea. It does have what seems to be endless customization options.

The 14in1 Gauge (which is definitely not as high quality as the others mentioned here) is ~$200 depending on exchange & shipping for the gauge AND all the sensors/control module/etc.

Madman EMS3 is about $225. Great functionality. Additional $$ for sensors and everything else. Looks to be 3 dedicated inputs (EGT/RPM/Coolant level) and 4 customizable ones. Seems to be a more do-it-yourself style, but I haven't emailed Overland Pros yet to see if they would set me up with a kit. But the kits they sell for Land Rover diesels run $400+. I think I was reading that it was easy to adapt it to VDO or other gauges.

Trying hard to come up with more gauges than the 4 that seems to be the standard offering for non-OBDII set ups:
-EGT
-Boost
-Coolant Temp
-Oil Pressure?
-Oil Temp?

Then the biggest problem becomes where to put the iDash/Madman style gauge in an 80... That's a whole other thing with these deep pods.

what about one of those DEFI all in one units? they're kind of targeted at being a replacement for a conventional gauge cluster, and all of the various sensors plug into one unit. you could get temps, pressures, RPM, EGT's....

I think it's called a DEFI ZD or something.

I've been debating something similar for the cummins over a pillar of gauges.

what about one of those DEFI all in one units? they're kind of targeted at being a replacement for a conventional gauge cluster, and all of the various sensors plug into one unit. you could get temps, pressures, RPM, EGT's....

Interesting. That looks almost identical to the 14in1 Gauge. In fact I think they may be the same thing. With the 14in1 possibly being quite a bit cheaper.

Interesting! It seems to be the exact thing. I wonder if it's the same as the knock off ones that you can order from AliExpress, just without the defi sticker.

Kind of makes me lean towards getting it!

Interesting! It seems to be the exact thing. I wonder if it's the same as the knock off ones that you can order from AliExpress, just without the defi sticker.

Kind of makes me lean towards getting it!
That’s what it looked like to me too. Digging a bit on the Defi ones they had a disclaimer about being made in China etc. so it could be exactly the same thing. Much much cheaper too.

Has anyone done the idash by banks yet? I'm thinking of getting one for my 80 to monitor my boost, intake temp, rpm and a few things.
I do not have a tach on my dash. Does the signal come from the pump?

I do not have a tach on my dash. Does the signal come from the pump?
Yes, it does. It's a little sensor that reads a small toothed wheel (or a gear) in the pump. I think it has 27 teeth if I remember correctly? I'm currently slowly researching it myself to figure out how to modify it for my Cummins.

Yes, it does. It's a little sensor that reads a small toothed wheel (or a gear) in the pump. I think it has 27 teeth if I remember correctly? I'm currently slowly researching it myself to figure out how to modify it for my Cummins.
Thanks. I believe with 2 idash gauges I could get all the readings that I need. That way I will not go crazy finding a suitable spot, but keep them on the pillar.
I like the fact that it can read egt too!

hey that i dash looks pretty sweet i was checking this one out

I already have a glow shift 3in one and I'm using it for
-Boost
-EGT
-Transmission Temp

What caught my eye on the Banks idash gauge its the ability to data log and I don't want to have lots of gauges set up on the dash you can actually have quite a bit of sensors hooked up.

I am seeking to add the following sensors
-Air Fuel Ratio
-Turbo Shaft Speed
-fuel level for Aux tank

1650063184222.png

How would you set up a sensor to monitor turbo shaft speed?

There is a compressor housing that can have a sensor put in.

speed sensor port housing
1650231871783.png

Last edited:
Just to chime in for posterity, I've been meaning to do a writeup and maybe someone else already has but....

I've had the JustRaceParts 14in1 multigauge setup for a few years now:

Absolutely can't be beat for ~$250. The sensor ADC control unit fits barely but perfectly just above a dual DIN head unit so install is super simple, I think I just duct taped it down because it's so snug. The programming interface is really weird and goofy, but I hardly ever screw with it so it's not a big deal to consult the manual every time. The guys who run JRP have been really responsive, I bought and installed the AFR gauge without realizing it was useless for diesels and they offered me an at-cost swap on the entirely new version required for the diesel AFR which was nice of them.

Sensors are fairly chinsy but also super cheap and easy to replace. I haven't had to replace one yet.

I'm going with 2 redarc gauges in a pillar pod. if you choose the right ones you can have multiple parameters. They're expensive but they have alarm functionality and can drive relays for other functions - eg switch a fan on your trans cooler. Not everyone's taste but i'm not a fan of screens like the multigauge.

People other than me drive my truck so very obvious alarms are important to me - they flash red and make a huge fuss when they alarm.

I'm going with
G52-BET - Boost, EGT and temperature (probably intake temp)
G52-TTT - Water temp, Trans temp and ambient temp

They're on order so will post up when they're installed.

0002818_egt-boost-pressure-52mm-gauge-with-optional-temperature-display.png

0002812_dual-temperature-52mm-gauge-with-optional-temperature-display.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom