Saving another FJ60! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so, im also rebuilding a 2f motor, what is there to look out for/pay attention to when going through it? i heard something about an oil galley plug?

so, im also rebuilding a 2f motor, what is there to look out for/pay attention to when going through it? i heard something about an oil galley plug?
My main recommendation would be to find a good machinist that will take the time to do the job right. Once the machining is done it really isn't that hard to build the motor. Make sure and download the FSMs that are available here on MUDD and ask a lot of questions. This is my first engine build and it has been a blast. Don't cheap out on parts or gaskets, you WILL regret it later. Also, double the amount of time you think it will take to do the job, machinists make their own schedules. Good luck and have fun.:)

I finally got my cylinder head installed and most of the accessories back on. Priming the oil pump was a bit of a challenge until I read about rotating the cam to allow oil to reach the rocker assembly. My exh/intake manifold should be done Thursday. I will attempt to stab the motor back in next week. Pics to follow.

FJ60 engine rebuild 002.JPG

FJ60 engine rebuild 004.JPG

FJ60 engine rebuild 008.JPG

FJ60 engine rebuild 012.JPG

FJ60 engine rebuild 013.JPG

Very nice looking rebuild. Marv still has my block and head and it has been about a year and a half. I need to go see him but I am too busy with other stuff right now. We need to get together with John McVicker and hook up my HAC, my rebuilt dizzy and VCV, etc. So I quite blowing head gaskets.

Congrats on your build.
Rick

Very nice looking rebuild. Marv still has my block and head and it has been about a year and a half. I need to go see him but I am too busy with other stuff right now. We need to get together with John McVicker and hook up my HAC, my rebuilt dizzy and VCV, etc. So I quite blowing head gaskets.

Congrats on your build.
Rick
Good to hear from you. I am going to stab the motor in this week. Like I told John, I am no expert, but I think we can find what is blowing your head gaskets. It has to be timing. What motor does Marve have that belongs to you? I know for a fact that he has a complete early 2F that is ready to be put together. I was going to buy it until I found out there aren't holes in the block for power steering, so I just rebuilt mine. Anyhow, get with John and let me know when you want to work on your 60.

Well today is the day. Put the fresh motor in my FJ60. I wish I could say it went easy, but that last 1/4 inch was a hard fought battle.

fj60 engine rebuild 001.JPG

fj60 engine rebuild 002.JPG

fj60 engine rebuild 003.JPG

fj60 engine rebuild 004.JPG

Last night was the night to finally fire up the new 2f. Everything went well. I had a few minor coolant leaks that required one more twist on the hose clamp and a stuck float in the carb, but that was it. I ran it for about 10-15 minutes at about 1500 rpm. Tomorrow I will do 20-25 minutes at 2000-2500 rpm for the final break-in of the cam and lifters. This has been a lot of work, but when you hear it fire up the first time, it is totally worth it.

fj60 rebuild 006.JPG

fj60 rebuild 007.JPG

Last edited:
Best tool ever for filling and burping the coolant. (no mess)

fj60 rebuild 010.JPG

Thank you Mud members for making this possible. I could have never done it ,(correctly), without the knowledge of all those who have gone before me:).

fj60 rebuild 011.JPG

View attachment 1257109

Update on the new motor. After the cam break in, the engine would not idle at all. I did a couple of adjustments and could get it to stay running with the idle screw all the way in. The engine will only start with the choke knob all the way out. While the engine is running, I sprayed some brake parts cleaner around the EGR valve and the idle came up and smoothed out. It appears that I have a massive vacuum leak at the EGR valve diaphragm. Tomorrow i will use a smoke machine and try to find exactly where the vacuum leak is. When I drive it, it feels like it is starving for fuel. There may be more than one issue, but for now, I am going to follow the vacuum leak. I am going to rebuild my carb as I don't think it has been done recently, and I will also replace the fuel filter. I will post my results as they happen.

Nice work! You are brave to tackle the rebuild on your own but it looks like you have a much better workspace than I do! Did you have to re-jet your carb for high altitude after you bought your 60? You could be starving for air, not fuel.

Thanks. If I didn't have the facility to work in, I'm not sure I would have taken on the rebuild. I have access to every tool,lifts,welders ect.. As far as the re-jet the answer is no. What I found last night was that my HAC valve was stuck and was creating a huge vacuum leak. I exercised it over and over,now the truck purrs:bounce::). I have my egr blocked off until I get a replacement from Georg at Valley Hybrids this weekend. I am still going to rebuild my carb and replace my fuel filter.

fj60 rebuild 011.JPG

I have since put a nipple through the cover plate so I can run my PCV to the manifold just like it is from the factory. I am going to drive it easy until I get the replacement valve as I don't want my combustion temps to get too high from the advanced timing.

Last edited:
Now that she is running good I took some pics of her outside.

FJ60 rebirth 004.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 006.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 003.JPG

I wanted to share my version of an inside spare tire mount. I didn't want to keep my spare out in the weather all the time and I really don't need all of the room in the cargo area.

FJ60 rebirth 008.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 011.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 012.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 014.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 016.JPG

So now that the engine rebuild is done, I needed some tunes. I installed a heavy duty deck, 2 door speakers, 2 6x9s, a sub woofer and a 2000w amp. I used boxes because I didn't want to cut up my rear panels and I can move them around or take them out as needed.

FJ60 rebirth 001.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 002.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 003.JPG

FJ60 rebirth 004.JPG

Very nice! Your thread has me motivated! That 2F looks sooooo nice. Excellent work.

I've been toying with the idea of pulling my 2f and rebuilding it. I haven't got a chance to drive and enjoy it since I purchased it in January (it's running rough... the vacuum hoses are a mess and it's got oil leaks that need to be addressed). I'm debating between getting running decent and driving it for a little while or just pulling the motor and starting down the road of a complete rebuild. Not sure what to do. Compression was 127-135-130-128-135-129 when I checked it this past weekend... so it's tired.

Quick question... looking at the 2F before you put it back in, the accessories look immaculate. Did you replace everything with new parts (power steering pump, air cleaner, etc) or simply clean them up? Also, did you go through and replace the vacuum lines everywhere? They look to be in great shape.

Keep up the good work!

Very nice! Your thread has me motivated! That 2F looks sooooo nice. Excellent work.

I've been toying with the idea of pulling my 2f and rebuilding it. I haven't got a chance to drive and enjoy it since I purchased it in January (it's running rough... the vacuum hoses are a mess and it's got oil leaks that need to be addressed). I'm debating between getting running decent and driving it for a little while or just pulling the motor and starting down the road of a complete rebuild. Not sure what to do. Compression was 127-135-130-128-135-129 when I checked it this past weekend... so it's tired.

Quick question... looking at the 2F before you put it back in, the accessories look immaculate. Did you replace everything with new parts (power steering pump, air cleaner, etc) or simply clean them up? Also, did you go through and replace the vacuum lines everywhere? They look to be in great shape.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the compliments. As far as the accessories, I only replaced the power steering pump with a Genuine New Toyota Pump. It was pricey, but I figured the original one lasted 30 years and re-maned pumps never hold up for long. I cleaned and painted everything else. Vacuum lines are all new silicone from McMaster Carr. When I got my 60 it ran like pooh,leaked oil and was generally in a state of neglect. I used this forum to learn about the truck and began to sort out my problems. Eventually, I managed to get if running decent and fixed a lot of the problems it had. My compression numbers were worse than yours. I actually had one cylinder bellow 100. It ran ok, smoked a little but for around town and a little wheeling it was fine. If you can make yours run good and slow down or stop your big leaks, drive it awhile and have some fun. Once you pull the trigger and decide to rebuild,it will be down for for a long time. Plan on doubling the amount of time you think it will take and expect it to cost more than you plan. I got a good deal on my machining and engine parts and it still cost me $1800+, by the time it was back in the truck, and you saw in my thread, that I did all the assembly myself. I don't regret doing it now that it is done, it's just a lot off work. Take lots of before and after pics of your rig as you progress. I t is fun to look back and see your progress. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else on MUD. Good luck with your build. Jerry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. As far as the accessories, I only replaced the power steering pump with a Genuine New Toyota Pump. It was pricey, but I figured the original one lasted 30 years and re-maned pumps never hold up for long. I cleaned and painted everything else. Vacuum lines are all new silicone from McMaster Carr. When I got my 60 it ran like pooh,leaked oil and was generally in a state of neglect. I used this forum to learn about the truck and began to sort out my problems. Eventually, I managed to get if running decent and fixed a lot of the problems it had. My compression numbers were worse than yours. I actually had one cylinder bellow 100. It ran ok, smoked a little but for around town and a little wheeling it was fine. If you can make yours run good and slow down or stop your big leaks, drive it awhile and have some fun. Once you pull the trigger and decide to rebuild,it will be down for for a long time. Plan one doubling the amount of time you think it will take and expect it to cost more than you plan. I got a good deal on my machining and engine parts and it still cost me $1800+, by the time it was back in the truck, and you saw in my thread, that I did all the assembly myself. I don't regret doing it now that it is done, it's just a lot off work. Take lots of before and after pics of your rig as you progress. I t is fun to look back and see your progress. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else on MUD. Good luck with your build. Jerry.

Good stuff. Good advice. Getting it running decent and slowing/stopping the leaks is definitely an attractive option. I've been leaning towards that route, mainly because I haven't had any seat time in the rig. I want to get to know her a little better before I open the hood and start the tear down! But then I look at your thread and think "damn, that 2F looks great on that engine stand all freshly rebuilt and squeaky clean!" I'm looking into a PS pumps as well being that mine leaks. The guys over at American Toyota quoted me just under $500 with the discount. I'm glad the compression numbers were consistent. Low, but consistent. And it does have 218k on it, so they're to be expected I guess.

Another question for you. McMaster Carr hoses or OEM? Did you have this debate in your head before you went with MC? How much of the MC hose did you order? I'm about to order some OEM this week but haven't just yet. Curious to know your opinion on the matter...

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom