Saving another FJ60! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ready to install new hardware.

001.JPG

006.JPG

Beautiful. Love the color. The interior looks awesome. Time to use up that camera.
Thanks. When I repaint, I am going to keep it original color.

Head was looking good until we did the final surfacing of the deck.Once surfaced a small crack showed up. Fortunately there is a permanent fix for this. It is a 100% fix, not a band aid.

fj60 engine rebuild 001.JPG

fj60 engine rebuild 004.JPG

fj60 engine rebuild 003.JPG

fj60 engine rebuild 007.JPG

Found a thread on a hot rod forum about painting exhaust manifolds with graphite coating. Here is what it looks painted. It is supposed to impregnate the pores of the cast iron and not burn off. We'll see.:)

fj60 engine rebuild 006.JPG

Interesting...what's the deal with the graphite? Looks like straight graphite powder, not a surface paint or treatment per se. Does it bake on once your up and running - keep the heat in or what?

Found a thread on a hot rod forum about painting exhaust manifolds with graphite coating. Here is what it looks painted. It is supposed to impregnate the pores of the cast iron and not burn off. We'll see.:)

View attachment 1242554

Very nice work.

You're in CA, so it will need to be 100% SMOG legal, right? Did you modify the exhaust manifold heat flap at all? Are you using a SOR intake/exhaust block off plate?

Interesting...what's the deal with the graphite? Looks like straight graphite powder, not a surface paint or treatment per se. Does it bake on once your up and running - keep the heat in or what?
It is a spray. Goes on like paint. When it dries, you can touch it and a little will come off on your fingers. From what I have read, it will harden more and stay the same color when heated. I won't know for sure until I get it running. I will try to find the post and let you read it.

Very nice work.

You're in CA, so it will need to be 100% SMOG legal, right? Did you modify the exhaust manifold heat flap at all? Are you using a SOR intake/exhaust block off plate?[/
Very nice work.

You're in CA, so it will need to be 100% SMOG legal, right? Did you modify the exhaust manifold heat flap at all? Are you using a SOR intake/exhaust block off plate?
Where I live in Ca. , you only have to smog on change of ownership. With that said, I am opting to keep the smog gear on in case the law changes or I need to sell in a hurry. I also live at 4000 ft. So I need to keep the HACV system working. What are you talking about with the manifold heat flap? I did have my Egr blocked off before the rebuild, but I will be putting everything back to stock when I put the motor back in.

It is a spray. Goes on like paint. When it dries, you can touch it and a little will come off on your fingers. From what I have read, it will harden more and stay the same color when heated. I won't know for sure until I get it running. I will try to find the post and let you read it.
Here is the article on the graphite spray. How to Restore an Exhaust Manifold

ooh, good to see it in loving hands!! Exited to see that up and running again, never seen a head getting stitched up again like that!
That manifold looks bad ass, keep us posted!
Thanks. Will do. I am really excited to finish the engine and get it back in, it's been 6 months since I pulled it out. Machinists have their own schedule:lol:.

Where I live in Ca. , you only have to smog on change of ownership. With that said, I am opting to keep the smog gear on in case the law changes or I need to sell in a hurry. I also live at 4000 ft. So I need to keep the HACV system working. What are you talking about with the manifold heat flap? I did have my Egr blocked off before the rebuild, but I will be putting everything back to stock when I put the motor back in.

This thread shows what I did with mine. The stainless SOR block off plate keeps excess heat off the aluminum intake manifold, but you have to either trim or lock open the heat riser flap to clear the block off plate. I wouldn't think altering it would affect smog, since you couldn't tell on a visual inspection that anything was done to it.

How to repair a cracked Intake Manifold

This thread shows what I did with mine. The stainless SOR block off plate keeps excess heat off the aluminum intake manifold, but you have to either trim or lock open the heat riser flap to clear the block off plate. I wouldn't think altering it would affect smog, since you couldn't tell on a visual inspection that anything was done to it.

How to repair a cracked Intake Manifold
I went to the SOR website,but was unable to find the block off plate. do they still sell them?

I went to the SOR website,but was unable to find the block off plate. do they still sell them?
I downloaded their catalog and found it. Thanks for the tip. I had my intake welded up as well.

SOR part # 044-12C SS Heat Riser Insulator ?

Just be sure you have the manifold surfaces refaced after you bolt it all together. It's also not a bad idea to spot face the bolt holes so it tightens up evenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom