Build Salted Pork fj55 family wagon build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As someone who has LS swapped his cruiser, I see the appeal. But if your 2F is working, leave it in! Enjoy it! There is going to be a day when you can get parts for it, and you will have to swap! (If you keep it that long.)

The LS swap is pretty straightforward! I would do it over an SBC. Its the same, but when I see something with an SBC in it, I dont want it! LS is soooo easy, smooth power too! Find a cheap 5.3!
 
Most of this will work with an LS as well

😏

Awesome offer !
😎😎 🍺
@clrussell , I will be asking you some questions about LS swapping. I pulled the 1986 vintage 305 SBC out of my 1971 Fj40 and am swapping in an LS.
 
Dont worry guys I have decided to keep the 55. I do think Ill eventually do an engine swap though. Mostly because I don't want it to just be a tooling around the island vehicle. I want to take it off the island on trips I think. Maybe even do a h55 swap with a ls or sbc... hummmm. But I am still thinking on it and chewing. But I need to get started with my next round of repairs. Once I get the trooper out of the way and all welded up Ill pull the fj55 under to start body work and some other repairs like door hinges finally, some weather stripping, and front windshield and the rear quarters. I also need to get back to the paint question... not sure what I want to do about that still. I took a break on figuring that out.

I do want to do a small lift on it. Initially I thought I didnt but - After looking at my buddys saudi spec one last weekend, it looks soo good with 285 55 16s and parabolic springs! I think I am going to do classic 33x10.50s on 15 inch rims if I cant get some 16 inch rims that are not splits. although splits are not terrible.
 
If you going the SBC route I have a GM bell housing, adapter plate that went between bell housing and Toyota 3 speed that was in my 40, the propeller mount for the transfer case, and the lightly used fly wheel, clutch etc.

Will be on Ocracoke next week Thursday.
I might hit you up on that. I am seriously thinking it over.
 
Side quest: the isuzu trooper... what a nightmare again... why do I keep buying isuzus haha. I really like them visually and fuctionally. The frame was rusting in the rear drivers side from the inside out. I think it was really bad in that section because of mouse house action. I ended up patching lots of 1/4 inch and 3/16ths patches in the rear on the drivers side. . I am not sure I will be able to keep the rust demon at bay. right now I have cleaned the frame out and pumped it full of fluid film. it is interesting visually it looks fine but some spots in the frame are 3/16ths thick, some are 1/8th thick and some are probibly around 14 gage. But at this point I think it will need a new frame at some point in the future. Or better yet I think this is going to be a donner vehicle to one with a better frame and maybe a blown up drivetrain. The interior is worth saving. and lots of body parts are. this is what the pessimist in me is saying. I might change my mind in my thoughts of the trooper - I am just a hair frustrated right now about it and slightly ranting.
 
I have come back from doom and gloom on the trooper... I finished my welding and repair of the 4x4 with a new cv axle and upper and lower ball joints in the front end of the trooper. I think it will be fine for the next 5 years or so if I keep on the fluid film. by then Ill have another trooper probably hahahaha. I just want some new tires now on it and some new rear sway bar links.
 
Dont worry guys I have decided to keep the 55. I do think Ill eventually do an engine swap though. Mostly because I don't want it to just be a tooling around the island vehicle. I want to take it off the island on trips I think. Maybe even do a h55 swap with a ls or sbc... hummmm. But I am still thinking on it and chewing. But I need to get started with my next round of repairs. Once I get the trooper out of the way and all welded up Ill pull the fj55 under to start body work and some other repairs like door hinges finally, some weather stripping, and front windshield and the rear quarters. I also need to get back to the paint question... not sure what I want to do about that still. I took a break on figuring that out.

I do want to do a small lift on it. Initially I thought I didnt but - After looking at my buddys saudi spec one last weekend, it looks soo good with 285 55 16s and parabolic springs! I think I am going to do classic 33x10.50s on 15 inch rims if I cant get some 16 inch rims that are not splits. although splits are not terrible.
City racer 16 inch wheels are awesome but spendy
 
City racer 16 inch wheels are awesome but spendy
The price is why I have not gotten them yet and why I have thought about going just to the 15 inch steel ones. The 16inch splits I have are fine but 2 out of the 4 are in really bad shape rust wise. the other two are fine. I also hate to admit - changing tubes is the most nerv anxiety producing thing.
 
The price is why I have not gotten them yet and why I have thought about going just to the 15 inch steel ones. The 16inch splits I have are fine but 2 out of the 4 are in really bad shape rust wise. the other two are fine. I also hate to admit - changing tubes is the most nerv anxiety producing thing.

If you continue using your split ring wheels this practice may relieve some of your anxiety. I copied it from a thread on another site dealing with these type of rims.

"Repaired many, many flats during active Army duty in Vietnam. All of our truck tires had split rings. We did not have a cage when airing them up either. It was our practice that when we were inflating them we would flip them over and sit on the tire during the inflation process. You would hear a sharp snap when the ring seated and feel the tire jump. Only once in the numerous times did I see one of our guys flipped into the air several feet by a ring dislodging itself. No injuries but we were all aware of the risk and dangers. Not sure when they did away with them but good riddance."
 
Wire brush clean the ring and the rim. Yep I was taught to flip the wheel and sit on it keeping your body parts out of the firing line. Never had/seen one fail. However had an antenna coupling clamp blow a hole in the signal shelter - Gee you would never expect an antenna at 117 feet on a system designed for 50 feet and only operated by 3 guys instead of 4 or 5. Oh and it was like 0300 and we hadn't had any sleep in about 36 hours.
 
Dont worry guys I have decided to keep the 55. I do think Ill eventually do an engine swap though. Mostly because I don't want it to just be a tooling around the island vehicle. I want to take it off the island on trips I think. Maybe even do a h55 swap with a ls or sbc... hummmm. But I am still thinking on it and chewing. But I need to get started with my next round of repairs. Once I get the trooper out of the way and all welded up Ill pull the fj55 under to start body work and some other repairs like door hinges finally, some weather stripping, and front windshield and the rear quarters. I also need to get back to the paint question... not sure what I want to do about that still. I took a break on figuring that out.

I do want to do a small lift on it. Initially I thought I didnt but - After looking at my buddys saudi spec one last weekend, it looks soo good with 285 55 16s and parabolic springs! I think I am going to do classic 33x10.50s on 15 inch rims if I cant get some 16 inch rims that are not splits. although splits are not terrible.
There is a set of 15 inch wheels with BFG AT tires in the classifieds here in Charleston. You might be able to get a good deal, the guy sold his spring green FJ40 on BaT earlier this summer. Not sure if they are the early riveted wheels or not.
 
There is a set of 15 inch wheels with BFG AT tires in the classifieds here in Charleston. You might be able to get a good deal, the guy sold his spring green FJ40 on BaT earlier this summer. Not sure if they are the early riveted wheels or not.
These guys from @schuy2147
 
I am glad we got the 55 out to the beach yesterday afternoon for a quick jump in the ocean. we have a noreaster coming through and I think Its going to be a little rainy. I snapped these yesterday though! I think this weekend the fj55 is going to go under the knife again and I am going to start doing the rest of the body work to get ready to paint it.

Whitagram-Image 8.webp
Whitagram-Image 7.webp
Whitagram-Image 6.webp

These guys from @schuy2147
Dang that is a good deal... Might have to see if he has a bottom dollar. maybe I can stick them on the trooper till I am ready.
That’s them
I might ask the guy bottom dollar and see what happens.
 
I am glad we got the 55 out to the beach yesterday afternoon for a quick jump in the ocean. we have a noreaster coming through and I think Its going to be a little rainy. I snapped these yesterday though! I think this weekend the fj55 is going to go under the knife again and I am going to start doing the rest of the body work to get ready to paint it.

View attachment 4217213View attachment 4217212View attachment 4217211

Dang that is a good deal... Might have to see if he has a bottom dollar. maybe I can stick them on the trooper till I am ready.

I might ask the guy bottom dollar and see what happens.
Let me know if you can get a deal done. I can always throw them in my trailer and bring them when I head your way on thursday.

Speaking of traveling to Ocracoke, when do they shut down the ferry for weather. Its looking pretty windy
 
Let me know if you can get a deal done. I can always throw them in my trailer and bring them when I head your way on thursday.

Speaking of traveling to Ocracoke, when do they shut down the ferry for weather. Its looking pretty windy
Ill let you know thinking on it. It is also the tires I would want to put on the trooper so its kinda a win win rims for the cruiser and tires for the trooper.

The weather right now is looking a little wacky for sure. I know they stop running the hatteras around 30 mph wind. But I know you can get alerts to if runs are canceled through the NCdot - NCDOT: Ferry Information Notification System (FINS) - Beta Test - https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/ferry-tickets-services/Pages/ferry-information-notification-system.aspx I think you can call them too. If I were to be honest to you - this weather is for sure iffy with being able to get here. I know a few people here are changing plans to get off the island a little earlier. The Cedar island and swan quarter ferrys to ocracoke genrally run in worse weather than hatteras.
 
Speaking of Ferry, I have a house up in Kitty Hawk and have been following the Ferry Toll fiasco.
Hope they can get it fairly figured out for you residents.
Let us tourist pay a toll when we visit but you all should be exempt on either Ferry.
Next money grab will be a toll on any of the bridges heading onto the banks from the mainland.
 
Let me know if you can get a deal done. I can always throw them in my trailer and bring them when I head your way on thursday.

Speaking of traveling to Ocracoke, when do they shut down the ferry for weather. Its looking pretty windy
NE 35 gusting 40 kts, plenty windy. If it's running, hopefully you are at the back of the ferry and let the people at the front cop all the salt water spray. Not looking very good for driving around either, 12 on Pea Island likely to be closed Thursday and Friday due to over wash. Always a gamble with a Nor'easter brewing.

*edit- take control of your destiny and come a day early, on Wednesday
 
Speaking of Ferry, I have a house up in Kitty Hawk and have been following the Ferry Toll fiasco.
Hope they can get it fairly figured out for you residents.
Let us tourist pay a toll when we visit but you all should be exempt on either Ferry.
Next money grab will be a toll on any of the bridges heading onto the banks from the mainland.
NE 35 gusting 40 kts, plenty windy. If it's running, hopefully you are at the back of the ferry and let the people at the front cop all the salt water spray. Not looking very good for driving around either, 12 on Pea Island likely to be closed Thursday and Friday due to over wash. Always a gamble with a Nor'easter brewing.

*edit- take control of your destiny and come a day early, on Wednesday
The big issue Locals are facing now with the ferry is not actually the toll... although we would be the only people in NC that cant get to their house without a toll and thats a pile of dog s***. The big issue for locals now is they decided to not do the priority passes (we are all trying to fight that decision now. I feel the toll fight is lost) I will even say if it makes the ferrys more efficient in their operation, punctuality and management Id gladly pay a toll but the sad truth is I think that nothing will change. I honestly think its a money grab. The priority passes lets us get loaded first so we can get home or get off the island to and from appointments and things like that. Without the priority I wont ever go through hatteras in the summer. I just would not be able to get home at a normal time. and I get tourist are waiting in that line but thats vacation time for them. and honestly I feel for them too because its terrible that they sit in that hot line. But this is all part of the problem of a government mismanaged and underfunded system. IDK how it got to this point but in my collage years they ran a ferry every 30 minutes and sometimes it took under 30 min to go from Ocracoke to Hatteras. I have a-lot more to say about it all but this is not the forum for it haha. My wife and I have talked off and on about a move but who knows. I think if we move it wont be because of the ferrys not running, or some sort of storm it will honestly be the rise in property taxes here.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom