Build Salted Pork fj55 family wagon build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stoked to find this! I need to replace the rear quarter corners on around the wheel well flair to the rear bumper at the very bottom. its not terrible but there are quite a few pin holes and the fender flair in the very corner is shot. but I want to do this body work before I do any more painting. with this piece I can use it to make the part for the other side. and I needed to cut out an area in the wheel well that was filled with lead. This guy is probs a mud member too.
IMG_1265.webp



Some other news - I am trying to figure out my front glass situation. I posted else were in the forum but I really need to get my front glass and gasket replaced.
 
Other questions: Would you all go the cruiser corps way for seat and upolstory? I did cruiser corps for my fj40. or would you spend the extra money and go SOR. these seats just need some attention and I need to get on it. I think It will make me feel way better.
 
Stoked to find this! I need to replace the rear quarter corners on around the wheel well flair to the rear bumper at the very bottom. its not terrible but there are quite a few pin holes and the fender flair in the very corner is shot. but I want to do this body work before I do any more painting. with this piece I can use it to make the part for the other side. and I needed to cut out an area in the wheel well that was filled with lead. This guy is probs a mud member too.
View attachment 4214140


Some other news - I am trying to figure out my front glass situation. I posted else were in the forum but I really need to get my front glass and gasket replaced.
Cool find, his mud name is @jkdur728 Looks like he has a lot of amazing things in the "Barn"
 
Yeah saw the order come through on eBay this morning. I’ll have it out later today. If you need stuff in the future just reach out directly on here to save some money on eBay fees. And yes I have tons of piggy parts in inventory. Sell parts for 55/40/60/62s full time.
perfection! Ill reach out as soon! I am about dive back into my project in the next few weeks. Much appreciation!
 
More random thoughts maybe pipe dreams but - any 55 owners out there with the marks adapter and a v8? (the one that does not move the transmission) I off and on think about this. I kinda have been leaning more and more to pulling the 2f and dropping some sort of Reman SBC. I dont think id do LS because I like the simplicity of a SBC. but I would eventually would want a sniper kit of some sort too. Id like a little more off island family traviling ability with the fj55 and this might make sense to do. Like trips to the mountains and florida even. This is a future plan for sure maybe the next 5 years. Id just like some input with people who have done it in a 55. (this all being said, I spent great effort to put the 2f in this 55 right when I got the truck)
 
Also easy button if you don’t use the marks apadter. Use a 60 series 4 speed top plate.

Moves the shifter back 3”. Mine. Comes out the same location as my 1f 4 speed.
this is a money saver too. (still have to modify drive shafts but still) Didnt know that.
At the point of a SBC and sniper.

Seriously just LS swap it for less than the sniper costs
I dont mind the LS I just figured wiring is easier on a SBC. I like simplicity usually.
 
LS wiring is actually really easy. In the end you have about 6 wires to make it run.

You will end up with just as many wires on a Holley sniper. With less parts availability. And more money spent.

you can find a running 4.8-5.3 with harness and ECM for less than $1,000 in most cases. You will still need a clutch, Belhousing, driveshafts, fuel pump setup, and engine mounts.
All the things you will need for SBC anyway
 
Random but maybe not random - Whats yalls thoughts on the bj44 or the 44 series cruiser? 3b any good? whats it drive like? are they fun? is 1981 a good year? do they rust in the same spots swb fj40s do? parts availability?
 
Last edited:
LS wiring is actually really easy. In the end you have about 6 wires to make it run.

You will end up with just as many wires on a Holley sniper. With less parts availability. And more money spent.

you can find a running 4.8-5.3 with harness and ECM for less than $1,000 in most cases. You will still need a clutch, Belhousing, driveshafts, fuel pump setup, and engine mounts.
All the things you will need for SBC anyway
that makes sense. I wish I had kept our rusted out surf camp truck.... it was a 2007 silverado with the 4.8L but it had 44k on it! must have been bad metalergy with those in 2006/7 because ours bed rotted off, then the frame broke completley in half from rust. It never was flooded but was used for surf camp. not driving through salt water though! and it all did that by 2014. We bought that truck new! I think a scrap yard got it. thats worse than 1980s toyota trucks!
IMG_1900.webp
 
Last edited:
Random but maybe not random - Whats yalls thoughts on the bj44 or the 44 series cruiser? 3b any good? whats it drive like? are they fun? is 1981 a good year? do they rust in the same spots swb fj40s do? parts availability?
The 3B is terrible for parts these days. Not much power, but wouldn’t be bad at all for a lightweight beach/island ride. It’s likely an old tired motor at this point and I wouldn’t count on it for much. But don’t worry I’ll have a 1Hz for you to swap in one of these days (years?). Can go in either the bj or the pig. Not the power of an LS but good fuel milage and the wiring is dead easy- power to the starter, glow plugs and fuel cut solenoid. No carb, no dizzy, no voodoo.

Just a guess, but the 44 likely rusts in the same areas as a 40, in any case, you can count on rust somewhere.
 
The 3B is terrible for parts these days. Not much power, but wouldn’t be bad at all for a lightweight beach/island ride. It’s likely an old tired motor at this point and I wouldn’t count on it for much. But don’t worry I’ll have a 1Hz for you to swap in one of these days (years?). Can go in either the bj or the pig. Not the power of an LS but good fuel milage and the wiring is dead easy- power to the starter, glow plugs and fuel cut solenoid. No carb, no dizzy, no voodoo.

Just a guess, but the 44 likely rusts in the same areas as a 40, in any case, you can count on rust somewhere.
Agree, 3B parts a nightmare. Rebuilt. A 3B 4 years ago and it took forever to source what we could. Good running one will last forever if taken care of.
 
Agree, 3B parts a nightmare. Rebuilt. A 3B 4 years ago and it took forever to source what we could. Good running one will last forever if taken care of.
And if I’m not mistaken yours was rebuilt by a specialist and Toyota parts guru, with a parts cache. They are good motors, but incredibly hard to maintain at this point in time due to the lack of parts availability. And yes, if taken care of, they would probably last forever, but what is one inheriting?
 
this is a money saver too. (still have to modify drive shafts but still) Didnt know that.

I dont mind the LS I just figured wiring is easier on a SBC. I like simplicity usually.
If you going the SBC route I have a GM bell housing, adapter plate that went between bell housing and Toyota 3 speed that was in my 40, the propeller mount for the transfer case, and the lightly used fly wheel, clutch etc.

Will be on Ocracoke next week Thursday.
 
If you going the SBC route I have a GM bell housing, adapter plate that went between bell housing and Toyota 3 speed that was in my 40, the propeller mount for the transfer case, and the lightly used fly wheel, clutch etc.

Will be on Ocracoke next week Thursday.

Most of this will work with an LS as well

😏

Awesome offer !
😎😎 🍺
 
Back
Top Bottom