Safe buy with rust on frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

I hope I'm putting this in the right forum. I'm looking at a '99 4Runner at the moment and it has some rust on it. I'm pretty new to this and was wondering if it seems like a safe purchase or if it has too much rust. It's located in PA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

That looks damn good for a 1999 out of PA, but the frames sometimes hold up better than the other chassis parts. How do the brake lines, fuel lines, sheet metal parts, etc...look?
Not sure, these are all the pictures I have at the mo
That looks damn good for a 1999 out of PA, but the frames sometimes hold up better than the other chassis parts. How do the brake lines, fuel lines, sheet metal parts, etc...look?
does that piece in the top left corner of the first picture look like it’s corroding though?

I am from the west coast so please keep that in mind but here’s my $.02:

Hard to say when not in person but that doesn’t look too bad IMO. You could always take a screwdriver and poke at some of it. Nuts and bolts will be seized, hubs, brake rotors, etc.on the underside will make working on it tougher but should be a runner for many more miles.

My old GMC Sierra came from Wisconsin looking like that and a mechanic told me the above. I owned it for 8 years with no problems, accepting sweat equity on underside work

does that piece in the top left corner of the first picture look like it’s corroding though?

Looks like a standard exhaust around here. It corrodes until it falls apart and then you replace it... ;)

Around here, most of that would qualify as mere surface rust. I'd definitely want to poke some things with a screwdriver, though. It's always hard to say how far the rust goes. For the frame, that doesn't look bad, but I'd want to check sheet metal and other components as Splangy said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom