Rust opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello all,

Been on hunt all over forums, fb marketplace, private sellers and dealers for an LC100 or LX 470.

I found a low mileage 2004 lx 470 with the following pictures foe the undercarriage.

Need someone experienced opinion if you see anything. It looks like rust is surface and on the cover but I'm no expert.

Appreciate anyone's help

received_799130528680492.jpeg

received_393767573219011.jpeg

received_435079798958731.jpeg

received_339181069085606.jpeg

Things look like the early stages of crunchy. Depends if you care or not. It will not fail in any areas. Depends on price and what you want to do with it. If you want to do basic PM and enjoy it and price is right, makes sense. If you are planning to dump money at it and call it your forever baby, maybe, but I would not. Just hate working on crunchy bolts and such. Look below the rust belt if you are wanting “a forever baby”.

Things look like the early stages of crunchy. Depends if you care or not. It will not fail in any areas. Depends on price and what you want to do with it. If you want to do basic PM and enjoy it and price is right, makes sense. If you are planning to dump money at it and call it your forever baby, maybe, but I would not. Just hate working on crunchy bolts and such. Look below the rust belt if you are wanting “a forever baby”.
I appreciate your reply.

We are looking for a family DD car in which we can enjoy on trips. I wouldn't say forever baby, but hopefully 5-8 years.

What is the fair going price for an 04 100k miles lx 470?

Thanks again

Honestly not enough info to give any advice.

If getting it for a few grand, sure why not, fix it and drive it. But as the price goes up the value goes down, only because you're going to have to potentially put several thousand into it regardless.

The frame looks decent and can clean up easily. If the body is good even better. The rusty parts, bits, nuts, and bolts will get swapped out over time thru repairs and maintenance.

Some of those areas don't look great, some areas look fine. I'd pass unless it's less than maybe $5-6K and you aren't going to built or overland it. To and from Costco it should be ok IMO.

The bad part of 100's in my experience is always above the spare tire/behind the rear bumper. Can also be sneaky inside the rear upper hatch. Both areas almost impossible to get pictures of from the average seller.

If it looks this bad on the easily visible parts, it is definitely worse in the hidden ones. Doesn't look unsafe to me (yet) but I wouldn't put it through many more winters.

honestly that doesnt look too bad, if you're getting it for a really cheap deal, might be worth cleaning up the rust

The bad part of 100's in my experience is always above the spare tire/behind the rear bumper. Can also be sneaky inside the rear upper hatch. Both areas almost impossible to get pictures of from the average seller.

If it looks this bad on the easily visible parts, it is definitely worse in the hidden ones. Doesn't look unsafe to me (yet) but I wouldn't put it through many more winters.
Have a decent deal on it, im located in a non salt non snow state aka your neighbor here in NC. The car is located 9 hours away, and made an appointment with a mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. Hopefully, they can dig into it deeper and let me know the ins and out before making a final decision.

I bought an 07 a few years ago that did not look that bad , but once home and looking UP behind all of those areas i sold it! rear shocks almost rusted away, rear bumper had been painted in place due to all the bolts rusted solid..i would pass on it..

I bought an 07 a few years ago that did not look that bad , but once home and looking UP behind all of those areas i sold it! rear shocks almost rusted away, rear bumper had been painted in place due to all the bolts rusted solid..i would pass on it..
Thank you for your input!

I actually took the ride yesterday and had a mechanic look at it,

They said the excat same thing, it looks good on the surface, but digging deeper he would 100% pass on it. Back to the hunt

Keep looking they are out there, i opted for the grey 06 in my avatar , it had 186k however all Lexus services AND flushes and no rust ,it was a southern Virginia car since new and looks great underneath! Now with this mileage it does need a few things as in my post but i bought it at the right price to address these issues, miles do not hurt the ride a solid feel of these rigs..and now a great rust free driver For a looong time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom