RTT Overhang off the bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Question. I'm considering an Autohome Columbus Small XL. The way my 4Runner's roofrack is set up I'm going to have some significant overhang off the rear (fat end). How much is too much? Is 32" excessive? The front is not a problem since I can have two load bars over the cab (3 bars total).

Why do you want it to stick 32" off the back? You could possibly damage the tent if it's not
secured in a level spread along the tie down bars underneath. I wouldn't want any of my tent
to stick off the back.

If you dont climb in from the rear, or sit back in that area it might be ok. Its gonna be hard to get an answer from the manufacturer because they may not want the liability. If the majority of your body weight is in the tent towards the front, I dont see how it would hurt it much.

Why do you want it to stick 32" off the back?

It has to do with the ability to install load bars that far back on my truck. I don't have gutters and the fiberglass construction, along with the design of the top, makes installing a load bar all the way back a challenge. I'm working on an idea to get a fourth load bar all the way back.

I know that I've seen people drill through holes on their fiberglass truck bed camper shells and mounted the brackets for load bars. I'm assuming the same thing can be done here?

I know that I've seen people drill through holes on their fiberglass truck bed camper shells and mounted the brackets for load bars. I'm assuming the same thing can be done here?
That is the direction I'm headed. I currently have Yakima Wide Body mounts on the side between the windows, but it was drilled through a single wall of fiberglass. The section in the back would be double wall. Rivet nuts are on order so I can bolt another Wide Body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom