RTT Mounting/Removal Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in a position where I can't just leave my roof top tent mounted on the vehicle all of the time. I am trying to figure out a way to install/remove the tent that is somewhat less labor intensive than getting 3 to 4 people to lift it up and down. If anyone has any ideas of how it might be done with one or two people it would be greatly appreciated.

I used 2 pipes that I would slide in place of the crossbars and used 2 of these mounted above the truck.
upload_2017-7-2_16-33-12.jpeg

They are used for lifting and storing bicycles.

My wife and I push the full size ARB tent up onto the roof rack.

First onto the tailgate and then heave ho!

Shes mostly there for balance and a little extra shove.

I'm in a position where I can't just leave my roof top tent mounted on the vehicle all of the time. I am trying to figure out a way to install/remove the tent that is somewhat less labor intensive than getting 3 to 4 people to lift it up and down. If anyone has any ideas of how it might be done with one or two people it would be greatly appreciated.

How much does this thing weigh ?

So you have overhead area? Do you have structure to hang hooks and pulleys from?

God I wish I had overhead room in the garage. As it is I have to let air out of the tires to get it inside. LOL

Thanks for the replies everyone. Part of my problem is that I have 7 foot doors on my garage, and as a result can only barely fit my 80-series in without anything on it. I should have made this clearer in my original post, but I am really looking for a way to deal with the RTT in my gravel driveway. I will probably just have to build something that I can hang the tent from and then pull under.

I was struggling with this as well.

I fabbed a ramp coming off the side of the vehicle with 3x 10ft 2x4s from Home Depot. Cake walk. 2x long rails and the 3rd to make cross braces. Hardest part was locking to ramp into the vehicle; I did this by attaching plywood strips to the top of the ramp that lock into the roof rails (c-channel shaped on my LR3). Appropriately placed rachet strap would work as well. Likely now able to do this 1 person if you have smaller tent. With my Autana XL, or a higher roof, its best and still easy with 2 people.

IMG_0638.jpg

Finding one person solutions is the difficult issue. It's not super easy, but my friend and I can put it on with no problem, and I have gotten it off with my rather petite ex gf before. Lifting 60 pounds (1/2 of a 120lb tent) 7' in the air, especially when it's cumbersome isn't a cakewalk for a lot of people, but if I only have to put it on and take it off once a year, that's OK, do you mean to put it on and take it off each time you go out?? That would annoy me just because it's hard to tighten the nuts to hold it on with a tight fitting roof rack, even with ratcheting box wrenches me and my fat fingers struggle.

Finding one person solutions is the difficult issue. It's not super easy, but my friend and I can put it on with no problem, and I have gotten it off with my rather petite ex gf before. Lifting 60 pounds (1/2 of a 120lb tent) 7' in the air, especially when it's cumbersome isn't a cakewalk for a lot of people, but if I only have to put it on and take it off once a year, that's OK, do you mean to put it on and take it off each time you go out?? That would annoy me just because it's hard to tighten the nuts to hold it on with a tight fitting roof rack, even with ratcheting box wrenches me and my fat fingers struggle.

The solution to that is a rack dedicated to the tent. Its what I have. Then remove the rack in it's entirety with tent still
attached. I built an overhead pulley system and pull mine up into a storage carport. I take mine off if not in use, so
twice a year it's on then off. Mine is a bit primitive but it works.

IMG_2179.JPG

Yeah, HF winch that we run from the sami battery.

0408181602.jpg

Works very well. Now the way I have mine set up, bringing it all the way to the floor would not be feasible, but from the rack up to the stored position is easy-pesy. I also added some lengths of chain for it to hang on when stored so it isnt hanging on the rope all the time. Its overkill, but I'm happy with it.

Just read the OP and noted that he can't pull into a garage for storage. If that is the case then either the ramp as noted above may be the best one man option. Anything besides that is going to require a tractor or loader.

Last edited:
I don't know how much room you have around your place. I got one of these portable scaffolds. They aren't too expensive.
Cool part is, they can be lowered with a load on them. The wheels lock in place so one guy can slide the tent/roof on and off
easily. I've used this for my tent and the FRP top. Once it's on there you can wheel it around to wherever you want it. When I took these pics was swapping to a good truck. I've used it in my shop on the concrete, works much better. When I'm not in need of the scaffold it comes all apart, takes up no more room than my stepladder against the wall.

IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom