RTH: how close is your factory exhaust to your sub tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
Just about finished installing my subtank.

When I installed my rear bumper, I cut the rear factory exhaust mount off and rerouted the pipe to allow me to install my bumper.

Now that I'm installing the subtank I have only 3/4 inch clearance from the exhaust to the tank and I'll have to reroute again.

I was hoping someone here on the forum fit the factory subtank, and still has their factory exhaust, and can tell me how much clearance they have between the pipe and the bottom of the subtank.

Don't want to go boom of course

Thanks for the idea. I'm not a fan of wrap as it captures mud and holds water rusting out the pipe quickly.

I have the tools to weld a new section in--just want to keep with the distance toyota figured out. No guessing then

Not close at all. Consider that the spare can fit under the tank, so the exhaust is routed away from the subtank area.

install2.jpg

cheers,
george.

Got it, time to get some elbows sorted. Thanks George!

I cut mine and rerouted in 2012 so don't have a memory on how its supposed to go, this looks like it will do.

GoFast, you could always fab a stand off metal heat shield. Then attach it to your exhaust pipe with band clamps. We did this many times when building race cars, when the exhaust came to close to heat sensitive items. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a simple shield can make.

Last edited:
Easy to do this when I re-route, I have a heat shield from another car sitting in the scrap pile.

Not sure if your handle @Rifleman is because of the series but I've seen all 176 episodes.

T
I cut back the factory exhaust and added a turn down tip all out of the way to avoid off road damage

img_5516-jpg.1284270

That's similar to mine now but I cross the tank to about the fastener closest to end of the frame in your pic Phil. Actually mimiced your install for mine.

Obviously no troubles? Tire doesn't get hot spots?

Last edited:
T

That's similar to mine now but I cross the tank to about the fastener closest to end of the frame in your pic Phil. Actually mimiced your install for mine.

Obviously no troubles?

If your concern is heat I can assure you if your looks like mine you will have no issue with heat. It was 92° yesterday here, do you ever see 92° during the year.

Thanks for the idea. I'm not a fan of wrap as it captures mud and holds water rusting out the pipe quickly.

I have the tools to weld a new section in--just want to keep with the distance toyota figured out. No guessing then

304 Stainless will outlast truck.

If your concern is heat I can assure you if your looks like mine you will have no issue with heat. It was 92° yesterday here, do you ever see 92° during the year.

Thanks

Actually we do see that level of heat here. My area of Canada is at the northern extent of the Sonora Desert and it's not uncommon to hit 100F. My back yard hit 114F last year. We get more annual hours of sunshine than the state of California and only 10 inches of precipitation a year.

So I'm just buying a tip now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom