RTH: Dead Battery and Hood Latch Broken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty crappy morning today....battery in our 04 is dead and the hood release will not work. The cable must have snapped or become disconnected somewhere.

A quick search doesn't show too much....can you get the hood open by finagling something through the grille?

Any urgent help would be appreciated!

The cable is still attached. The lever in the cab will not move so it seems like something is seized or stuck. Can you spray penetrating oil on the mechanism through the hood?

Any other creative ideas?

Last edited:
Have you tried pulling up an down on the hood while someone pulls the release? When we had a big wet snow, the weight of it kept the hood down. It felt like the cable was disconnected, but it was just that the spring couldn't push the front of the hood up hard enough. Maybe if something is stuck just right it won't let the hood pop up.

Sorry that's all I've got. At least it isn't raining.

Nevermind, I just saw your update.

Here are some pics of an uninstalled hood latch that might give you some ideas. You can at least unbolt the lowest of the three attachment points through the grill. If you then fish a coat hanger from under the front bumper, up in front of the radiator, you may be able to catch the "loop" inside the latch (shown in 2nd pic). That loop is where the hood latch cable connects and what you need to activate to open the latch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would undo the plastic latch under the dash and gently pull it with a pair of pliers... while somebody is working the hood up/down. The cable to the latch is not equally accessed from the grill area.

If you have a 7-pin trailer connector, and depending on how it is wired, you might be able to charge your battery through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom