ROTM: The Iron Mule (T.I.M.) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These might be coming to my garage pretty soon. :bounce::bounce2:

Fullfloater.jpg

I currently have Poly Pro chromoly semi-float axles. I need to pull them and check for wear. I need to install new lug studs anyways. I broke one stud during the ACT 2010 and its time for them to be replaced. But the FF should be fun. Does anyone know where to get spare FF rear axles? Oh, and can I use my current third and install it with the FF axles or do I need to use the third the axles came with? I would assume I could use the third I have now. It has an Aussie locker in it and it is 4.11. Just wanted to make sure.

:beer: Chad

Sweet!! Don't you already have an H55 though?

As for the FF, good luck finding spare stock axle shafts. They are even more difficult to find than the FF housings themselves. Poly Pro makes 60 FF axle shafts that are really good. I'm running a pair on my DD right now. Unlike the SF shafts they don't need to support any weight, just transfer torque, and therefore the poly material is better suited to a FF application.

You will be able to swap your SF third in without issue.

Sweet!! Don't you already have an H55 though?

As for the FF, good luck finding spare stock axle shafts. They are even more difficult to find than the FF housings themselves. Poly Pro makes 60 FF axle shafts that are really good. I'm running a pair on my DD right now. Unlike the SF shafts they don't need to support any weight, just transfer torque, and therefore the poly material is better suited to a FF application.

You will be able to swap your SF third in without issue.

Thanks Johnny. The h55 is going to someone else. I'm just getting the FF w/ axles, and a kit to rebuild them. Good to hear I can get axles from Poly Pro. I'll check that out. Also good to hear my third will work.

Thanks Johnny. The h55 is going to someone else. I'm just getting the FF w/ axles, and a kit to rebuild them. Good to hear I can get axles from Poly Pro. I'll check that out. Also good to hear my third will work.

Hey, maybe if the Poly Pro SF shafts you have are bad you can exchange them through their warranty for some FF ones:hmm:

Hey, maybe if the Poly Pro SF shafts you have are bad you can exchange them through their warranty for some FF ones:hmm:

Yeah, if there are any signs of wear, then I'll definitely go that route. It looks like they cost about the same.

Are these the axles you were talking about?

Toyota Full Floater Rear Axles

That is exactly what I'm running. I have a couple pictures of them in my Moonshine thread, both unpackaging and installing. I threw ARP studs in at the same time as I read in the 80 section that guys running Poly FF shafts in their 80 series FF axles tended to blow hub studs more often. I have not had any hub stud problems thus far *knock on wood*.

They are pictured here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/180252-rotw-moonshine-glthfj60-10.html#post5616081

Man I want a FF rear axle .. looking sweet

You can check with Dutchman in Portland to see if they can make them.

When I was looking to have a pair made for my weird D60/LC FF they didn't have the right die/part to do it, but called months later out of the blue saying they did.

Dutchman does great work.

Looks great. I am all for the FF rear axle. As for shafts the spares are out there just ask. I think Iron Giant has a set or had a set a bit ago for sale. I got mine from lynchmob here in Portland. If you need a set to take with you to Alaska before you leave hit me up. You can borrow mine for the trip.

Clint

Chad,
Hit up Georg as I gave him a few sets of full float shafts. That is if you don't go the poly route.

David

Sweet upgrade on the FF. I love it.
If you have the 54mm socket for the front bearing adjustment, it's great to notch out three holes of the socket to adust the FF bearings too. But you already figured that, i guess. ;)

Sweet upgrade on the FF. I love it.
If you have the 54mm socket for the front bearing adjustment, it's great to notch out three holes of the socket to adust the FF bearings too. But you already figured that, i guess. ;)

Why the hell didn't I think of that:doh:

I saw that trailer on the local craigslist. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Yeah, that was my thought. The trailer also tilts/dumps back. Just pull two pins and it dumps back. Don't see any real need for that feature but its kinda cool. They had two. They had just had them sandblasted and painted. They're military trailers that they used to transport generators on. I think he said they were M100 but I'm not sure.

Yeah, that was my thought. The trailer also tilts/dumps back. Just pull two pins and it dumps back. Don't see any real need for that feature but its kinda cool. They had two. They had just had them sandblasted and painted. They're military trailers that they used to transport generators on. I think he said they were M100 but I'm not sure.

The pull pin design (from what i've seen) is nice for hauling bikes (dirt bikes/motorcycles) so you can just pull the pin, sit on the bike and just back it on down.

The pull pin design (from what i've seen) is nice for hauling bikes (dirt bikes/motorcycles) so you can just pull the pin, sit on the bike and just back it on down.

Hey that sounds like a good idea. I do need to get a motorcycle one of these days.

Where is a good place to get ARP studs? I did a quick internet search and didn't find a place. The deal with the FF rear end almost fell through but now it is on. WhooHoo!

Thanks Johnny! I'm also replacing my lug studs. I broke one in Alaska last year. Is there an upgrade for those studs as well, or do people just use stock? I didn't know if it is that common or not to break lug studs. Thanks for the help.

Johnny, did you replace the hub studs on both your front and rear axles? Do you have to really tear into the front in order to replace the front hub studs? I am wondering if I should just order studs for the rear or if I should order enough for both the rear and the front. Think it is a good time to upgrade the front? The front axle was just rebuilt a few years ago and I haven't driven it much (other than the Alaska trip.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom