RollTide40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 1972 FJ40 last year. 1F engine, 3 on the floor. I’ve decided to replace the 3/4 tub. I will be putting a newly rebuilt 1F with a Holley sniper back in to mate with the original 3 speed transmission. I plan to keep the drum breaks, but I will be refurbishing the system. I will be rewiring the whole truck. Looking for the best route on that, possibly painless. I am leaning towards the OME suspension. I am still unsure on color choice, but leaning towards Freeborn red or Olive. Starting the thread for pointers and way to document the build. 2 nights this week have the body ready to be cut in to.

BC1B29B8-84E2-43CB-9841-1AEF21E0FC1A.jpeg

F8A71C91-CB76-467E-B656-C5581082CDE5.jpeg

C33C8DA7-94EB-48F0-BFB6-52910F6512B8.jpeg

5F040ECD-46F8-494C-827C-CFF715785FDD.jpeg

Good Luck. Looks like you have a good start on your project. This forum is excellent for the history, techniques and rebuild ideas. Lots of smart and talented people here.

Everyone hates a winner

Roll tide
I ain’t ever been nothing but a winner.

That’s a good looking replacement tub you have. And the one you are replacing looks to still have life in some parts. Might be able to sell it or pass on to someone who is patching one up.

If you can save your stock wire harness and repair it/patch it or find someone who can for you on here that is the normal best recommended route. You may be able to find new oem connector ends still to replace broken one . A website that sold Japanese electrical connectors for our trucks and things like Honda motorcycles was linked on here somewhere. Maybe in one of the top sticky tabs. I can’t remember. If I am able I’ll link it here.

Roll tide
I ain’t ever been nothing but a winner.

That’s a good looking replacement tub you have. And the one you are replacing looks to still have life in some parts. Might be able to sell it or pass on to someone who is patching one up.

If you can save your stock wire harness and repair it/patch it or find someone who can for you on here that is the normal best recommended route. You may be able to find new oem connector ends still to replace broken one . A website that sold Japanese electrical connectors for our trucks and things like Honda motorcycles was linked on here somewhere. Maybe in one of the top sticky tabs. I can’t remember. If I am able I’ll link it here.
I am new to the body work world in general, but it seems to me that the passenger right floor pan/gas tank well are the only truly solid pieces in the tub. I do believe that the tub could be rebuilt with a good amount of work. That would be a lot of help on the wiring harness. I work with low and high voltage wiring daily, but I would much rather be able to purchase a harness that is close to stock. My worry with rebuilding is the overall time aspect being I’d want to change every wire so that they weren’t 48 years old.

I’ve also decided to replace my crossmember supports and rear spring hangers. I am debating buying the pieces to do myself or having a shop do them. Looking to use huck bolts on the old rivet spots. Also thinking of using the proper prep and por-15 on the frame rails.

I purchased a 1972 FJ40 last year. 1F engine, 3 on the floor. I’ve decided to replace the 3/4 tub. I will be putting a newly rebuilt 1F with a Holley sniper back in to mate with the original 3 speed transmission. I plan to keep the drum breaks, but I will be refurbishing the system. I will be rewiring the whole truck. Looking for the best route on that, possibly painless. I am leaning towards the OME suspension. I am still unsure on color choice, but leaning towards Freeborn red or Olive. Starting the thread for pointers and way to document the build. 2 nights this week have the body ready to be cut in to.

View attachment 2614567

where did you buy your tub from? I have a 71 that is very rusty.

I purchased from a member on here who had a 78 tub that he decided to go Aluminum. I was considering CI TROA as they were very reasonable. They also seem to have better reviews than the other non US options. I was constantly told to not go with LCH, and even the guy that I bought my tub from had a bad experience with them

You can contact coolerman. He sells factory style plugs, connectors, and proper color coded wires. You can search to find his contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom