Rock Lights. Where to mount them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DanS HJ-45

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I'll throw this out there for discussion.

Rock Lights. Where should they be mounted?

I have 6 LED lights for my 60, and I was planning on putting two in front of the front wheels, two behind the front wheels--pointing at them, and two in front of the rear wheels--pointing at them.

But then I got thinking.... should they be mounted inside of the frame rails, and a bit more protected from the rocks and things that the tires will kick up? Mounted more in the center of the vehicle pointing outward? In the wheel well pointing more at the ground?

What have you guys found most useful, and reliable?

Frankly most of their purpose is to be able to light up under there if I have to fix anything at night, or put chains on at night. I've never found myself really needing a rock light at night--but since I'm doing everything else on the truck, I am doing these too.

So.... thoughts?

Dan

Rock lights benefit ME more than you - - since I'm always behind you it helps me see the line ;) What rock lights are you using? I like your proposed placement, especially with the amount of light that cheap LEDs throw you can't go wrong. Maybe try to tuck them up and criss-cross the pattern. (DS framerail light pointing at PS wheel) that might work???

My thinking is four, in the skid plate so I don't have to f' with my frame, pointing roughly towards the tires. If I want another four the'd be in the bumpers, also pointing at the tires.

RuffStuff has these little guys for $25 ea.

R1854-full.jpg

Rock lights benefit ME more than you - - since I'm always behind you it helps me see the line ;) What rock lights are you using? I like your proposed placement, especially with the amount of light that cheap LEDs throw you can't go wrong. Maybe try to tuck them up and criss-cross the pattern. (DS framerail light pointing at PS wheel) that might work???

LOL! It will look incredibly cool driving at night on some dusty roads. I can imagine the pics now!

I bought these: Amazon.com: RGB LED Rock Light with Bluetooth RGB Controller - Neon Lights Replacement Multicolor Super Bright CREE PODs - Under Vehicle Cars Interior and Exterior - Waterproof Shockproof (MULTICOLOR): Automotive. Well, basically. I can't find the specific ones I bought now, but no bluetooth control, and mine are white. Still waterproof, shockproof, rustproof, etc...

I'm thinking that pointing *across* the vehicle at the wheels is making the most sense, reading the opinions. I'm probably overthinking it, but I do that. Meh. I'm looking to light up the tires and the underside of the truck, both for night wheeling and for night wrenching--if need be.

Dan

I have rock lights on my 2000 Xterra. They are actually cheap incandescent 55W Fog Lights so have a really wide and narrow beam. Mounted dead center of the truck, parallel to the frame, bolted to the outside of the frame, right up against the floor board and pointed straight down. They light up the ground under the truck from front tire to rear tire.

I really don't use them for rock lights anymore, but do turn them on at night just driving around. Gives the looky loos something to point at. I got pulled over once (for speeding) and the cop tried to write me up for having illegal lights on while driving. I asked to see the regulation and he tried to use the one for illegal FRONT FACING lights. I did not get the ticket for that, but he nailed me for the speeding...

For installing chains wouldn't a magnetic light stuck to the side of the truck work better?

You people.

Ordered.

:bang:

You people.

Ordered.

:bang:
OK, got 'em today. Got all excited about installing them, then decided, I'd better check them out first.

Because Chinese.

Glad I did. Two of the eight connections on the distribution block didn't work right from the get-go. And there is no way that thing is weatherproof.

:lol:

:doh:

I am about to use some similar lights for rock lights. I am thinking of pointing them opposite of the side they are mounted. I think this may spread the light better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom