RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah the DeStaCo latches are def solid. Well sounds like the double vertical is best to stick with then.

As far as the gas struts go, I ordered a pair yesterday. You think there would be any way to fit to mine without new spindles? My truck is gonna be down at Higgy's next week for suspension upgrade (MRR), so I was gonna bring the struts to Scott to see if he had any ideas how to fit. If he doesn't have any easy solution I'll DM you about your mobile welder guy.

Anyways, sorry bout your accident, but glad your doing ok.
Thanks for the well wishes.

We cut the swing arm from the old spindle, measured for the struts, and then re-attached the swing arm to the new spindle w adequate clearance.

That’s the process we followed to attach the struts. I don’t know one way or the other if there is sufficient room between the bumper and the swing arm to fit the gas strut as James sends it out. I suppose that you’ll be the one to test for the others!

If you need the mobile welder, his business is Kent’s Mobile Welding in Phoenix.

Hope all is well!

DBE2F11D-B40C-4DA2-85DD-507B27F5BC44.jpeg

2D1E0B21-208D-499B-927A-11541487AFB6.jpeg

Thanks for the well wishes.

We cut the swing arm from the old spindle, measured for the struts, and then re-attached the swing arm to the new spindle w adequate clearance.

That’s the process we followed to attach the struts. I don’t know one way or the other if there is sufficient room between the bumper and the swing arm to fit the gas strut as James sends it out. I suppose that you’ll be the one to test for the others!

If you need the mobile welder, his business is Kent’s Mobile Welding in Phoenix.

Hope all is well!
Thanks again. Hoping to get my truck back from Higgy's today. I don't think they were able to fit the struts, but they did find a way to re-use my ARB base Hi-Lift holder to fit that behind my spare. Side note, what was the name of that powdercoating place you used for your RW's again? I seam to remember you had a good experience with them. MY RW's are black already, but I want to get the rings to match now

Thanks again. Hoping to get my truck back from Higgy's today. I don't think they were able to fit the struts, but they did find a way to re-use my ARB base Hi-Lift holder to fit that behind my spare. Side note, what was the name of that powdercoating place you used for your RW's again? I seam to remember you had a good experience with them. MY RW's are black already, but I want to get the rings to match now
Good to hear from you, buddy. Send pics when back from Higgy’s.

It’s been a couple years, but the powder coat on the bumper and the RWs is holding up well.

For the bumper, believe that I used Arizona Powdercoat off Washington and the 202 in Phoenix. Will try to dig up who was used for the RWs.

Good to hear from you, buddy. Send pics when back from Higgy’s.

It’s been a couple years, but the powder coat on the bumper and the RWs is holding up well.

For the bumper, believe that I used Arizona Powdercoat off Washington and the 202 in Phoenix. Will try to dig up who was used for the RWs.
Thanks man. Higgy's did a great job, super happy. They wern't able to get my RW's powdercoated, so I'll give Arizona Powdercoat a try.
A few initial pics post suspension over on this thread

Oh one great solution the boys at Higgy's came up with was re-using my ARB BASE Hi-lift mount and attaching to my tire swing arm. Rock solid, lockable and great looking. They basically fab'd and welded a L-Bracket to the tire carrier, then bolted 1 (of the 2) ARB mounts to that.

IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg

Here’s what James cooked up w 4x4 labs spindles and struts…

123_1.jpeg

123_1.jpeg

Really nice

Here’s what James cooked up w 4x4 labs spindles and struts…

View attachment 3344976

View attachment 3344977
Dang so sweet #Jealous. I bought the struts a while back and brought down to Higgy's (while they were doing my new suspension), but they couldn't off-hand figure out a way to fit them. Now I see that makes more sense the spindles would need to be different to raise the arms up. Who did you say you had in AZ modify your original bumper? Was that with 4x4labs spindles also, or was he able to modify the original RLC spindles? If they were 4x4labs spindles which option did you order? Ouch $150/each for just a spindle, this sounds like this wouldn't be a super cheap upgrade.....but I still want it

Dang so sweet #Jealous. I bought the struts a while back and brought down to Higgy's (while they were doing my new suspension), but they couldn't off-hand figure out a way to fit them. Now I see that makes more sense the spindles would need to be different to raise the arms up. Who did you say you had in AZ modify your original bumper? Was that with 4x4labs spindles also, or was he able to modify the original RLC spindles? If they were 4x4labs spindles which option did you order? Ouch $150/each for just a spindle, this sounds like this wouldn't be a super cheap upgrade.....but I still want it

It looks to me like there is tailgate clearance if you were to mount the strut arm to the bumper near the spindle and then mount the other end through the swingout arm. I’ve considered retrofitting this I just have too many other priorities

It looks to me like there is tailgate clearance if you were to mount the strut arm to the bumper near the spindle and then mount the other end through the swingout arm. I’ve considered retrofitting this I just have too many other priorities
Might be worth a try being I have the struts just sitting here taunting me. How would you suggest attaching to the arm? Rivnut...or going all the way through with a bolt/nut?

Might be worth a try being I have the struts just sitting here taunting me. How would you suggest attaching to the arm? Rivnut...or going all the way through with a bolt/nut?
Not sure how they mount. i was thinking about going through the arm but a rivnut might work too.

The LC tailgate isn’t flat and I think mine would clear if I mounted the other end to the bumper near the spindle but I did shorten my tailgate cable so YMMV

Wife had an incident, so I ordered up one of these bumpers.

View attachment 3390253

FYI you'll still need to cut and re-use the top portion of the factory plastic bumper cover with the RLC bumper. Maybe see if any of the clips where it attaches are broken. Otherwise it should just snap back into place
Roger that, Support bracket that goes under the tail light is toast. ordered up the parts a day after it happened. Misc plastic clips and retainers suck

What are most people using or doing protection, using paint, raptor liner, Powder coating?
I painted with POR15. It’s cheap if you DIY, though it took some time to complete. Doesn’t look quite as nice as a powder coat but if your going to actually abuse it like I did this summer who cares? Easy to touch up too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom