Rival4x4 TLC Aluminum Front Bumper - on a Gen 1 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you planning to install a more rigid mount for the winch control box? I made one out of some aluminum strap that goes in that same area, a little higher though, I think. I don't know if those zip ties are going to be a good long term solution.

And I have to ask, is the upside down Rival sticker a funny? Like "if you can read this sticker, roll me over".

Are you planning to install a more rigid mount for the winch control box? I made one out of some aluminum strap that goes in that same area, a little higher though, I think. I don't know if those zip ties are going to be a good long term solution.

And I have to ask, is the upside down Rival sticker a funny? Like "if you can read this sticker, roll me over".
I have vague plans to go back thru and rebuild the grille mount out of square tube, along with the supports. At that point I’ll fab a controller mount. While the bumper is off the rig.

Right now I’m not sure where I want it. I looked at putting it behind the L emblem in the center grille, but that required cutting up the emblem. Also tried various grill racing locations up down and left right. I’m trying to avoid putting it in a place that requires the hood to open.

Current location is tight against the grill (4 ties),and then two more pulling back toward the support bar, it should be ok for a couple months.

They just put the sticker on upside down. The bumper came with a second sticker option (blue), when the black one falls off I'll put that blue one on.

Just paid the remaining balance of $1499. Now trying to figure out what winch to get. Adult problems huh?

Just paid the remaining balance of $1499. Now trying to figure out what winch to get. Adult problems huh?
Harbor freight badlands...... seems plenty good for Matts offroad recovery on youtube....

Home Depot carries Runva. I think it's $660 or $600 if you have access to a 10% off thing.

Take a look at this novawinch. It’s the next gen of the Superwimch Talon, the IP got sold when Superwinch went under. Excellent brake design and pretty fast.

It was in the lead for me, but I had to rule it out as Rival spec was 185mm height. There is a lot more space than that, so it would fit, now that I’ve seen the bumper.

Another top contender is Carbon winch. Very light and well reviewed.

The Runva is good, but the importer to the US isn’t bringing over the newer Premium models. It’s a tiny bit heavier.

Here the research I did
Post in thread 'The Guzzler - 2009 LX570'
Builds - The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-guzzler-2009-lx570.1052021/post-14344374

<edit - and after doing all that research I went off script and bought the ironman4x4 12k on one of the frequent $600 sales>

Last edited:
In cab winch control for an LX570

65091995-373E-44B0-A6A6-91F6C19D7C2F.jpeg

32B21DAD-953B-40D1-B6C7-D0482DAFF280.jpeg

I’d love to see pics for inspiration!

Thanks for the responses and the height space of the bumper. That was definitely a concern of mine. Gonna look into these

I’d love to see pics for inspiration!
Not sure how inspirational it will be, but here are a couple from when I first installed it:
37BAA9C3-6EA5-4A80-B9CC-73C749E37B66.jpeg
6BCB3452-59A1-4F7A-83C9-4134EF03588A.jpeg

Basically just an L shaped strap, with holes top and bottom, nutsert in the radiator support.

Weighed the remaining bumper cover, metal bits, and crash bar at around 42 lb. Net bumper is:
+60 lb shell
+50 lb winch bracket
+2 lb other brackets and covers
- 42 lb removed from OEM
-------
70 lb bumper
+64 lb winch
--------]
134 lb total add

Last edited:
I now use firm mode much more often, and mid mode as soft before, and rarely soft.
Will be adding spacers up front. Not sure if I’ll do springs in back or spacers there too.

Wow that’s freaking light weight
Nice that it’s in two relatively equal weight parts. Easy to manage with just one person.

96w of Flash to pass lights installed thanks to @tbisaacs .

Not a lot of lip on the lx install to work with, but these Ironman4x4 Blast II 7” fit.

65B21356-5B27-49C1-902C-8114CF60481F.jpeg

613756AF-20FD-4B53-8D90-ACB39711DB36.jpeg

84DB4D93-BD8A-4B44-93EE-9137672096C0.jpeg

Closed the gap between the Budbuilt front skid and the lower bumper.

Looked at what I had laying around. Targeted three galvanized shingles.
Riveted them together to width of skid.
Drilled holes for the skid bolts. Put some tape on both sides of the skid side to try to minimize galvanic rusting.
It’s flexed a bit by the way they fit in, so at the moment no fasteners on the bumper side. If it starts to make noise I’ll toss in a couple rivnuts.

53239CE7-CB89-42A4-9DCF-A674D92A9FD8.jpeg

CC4EBB33-D0ED-4D59-8959-FFB2ED8B9140.jpeg

I put in these spring rubbers to increase the spring tension and offset the new weight on the front.
Excellent addition and completely stopped the issues I had with adding the 130+ pounds to the front. Soft mode is back on the menu and the ahc can control attitude like it should.
These are size B, and the second of the four hardnesses available.
Got about 1/2” lift as well.

4C24B16A-0BBA-4201-A205-EF1466A9581B.jpeg

D00F7747-0BCF-4AEF-B230-DD39573833C2.jpeg

828C5B9B-49C2-4A3A-BC41-820DBF804B94.jpeg

I put in these spring rubbers to increase the spring tension and offset the new weight on the front.
Excellent addition and completely stopped the issues I had with adding the 130+ pounds to the front. Soft mode is back on the menu and the ahc can control attitude like it should.
These are size B, and the second of the four hardnesses available.
Got about 1/2” lift as well.

View attachment 3106973

View attachment 3106974

View attachment 3106975
Hey man I'm still waiting on mine for my 08 LC. Hopefully it will ship on the 30th. I was thinking of getting the spacers from Toyota. But I see you added these blue spacers/blocks. I have newer oem shocks,struts, and springs installed 2 years ago. Looking to also keep from sagging.

Last edited:
The spring rubbers just increase spring rate as a basic offset for added weight to the front. They come in at least four stiffnesses, more if you include other manufacturers' options. They effectively remove a portion of the coil wraps on the spring, which makes the spring stiffer. It's possible on the very limit that they reduce uptravel, I can't comment on that yet, and I haven't been able to find a source one way or the other, they are rubber, and thus have some give, but I do think if full uptravel had the spring completely compressed, obviously the spring rubber prevents this, it has to take up some space. Next time I have it stuffed I'm going to be taking a picture to see.

Spring spacers / trim packers go above the coil and do not change the effective coil wrap count. They don't change the effective spring rate (per what I've read, I don't run them, many on here do and could comment on their use for added weight), but you do get lift (or in IFS 2x lift) from the spacer.

For an LX, removing the front springs is a bit of drama, as they are hydraulically connected to the AHC system, so you have to depressurize the system to add a spring spacer. Much simpler to add the spring rubbers as they do not require coil removal to add. Additionally the LX springs are much lighter spring tension than TLC springs (about 1/2), so there are not off the shelf higher tension springs in abundance. In a TLC it is easy to just buy the next up rated coil; a spring rubber could be used to determine the amount of spring tension the new coil could have; or just read what others with similar mods are running.

<edit on a TLC I suggest the black (high) or green (highest) version of the spring rubber, I based blue on the spring tension of the LX, which is much softer than the TLC>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom