RIP 2005 UZJ100 #068991 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser100

Comfortably Numb
Threads
March 16, 2017, 8:28am

I was headed to work, turning left at a light (I had the green) off a two lane road onto a five lane highway (four travel lanes and a turn lane). I was the third vehicle to turn and about 2 to 3 car lengths behind the vehicle in front of me. Three of the four travel lanes had cars stopped at them as I proceeded through the intersection. As my view cleared to my left I saw a white SUV barreling toward me in the lane next to the turn lane - I knew I was screwed - "f**k" was the last thing I said before impact. I woke up to smoke in the cabin, airbags that had gone off, and a drivers door that wouldn't open. I'm not sure how I got the door open, but it was enough for me to slip through and fall onto the pavement...

IMG_1152.JPG

Both me and the other driver, a 20 something female, went to the ER and we ended up in rooms next to each other. My wife spoke with her for a few minutes and said she was very apologetic. I found out via the police report that she was driving a 2016 Jeep Patriot, well, what used to be a Jeep Patriot. I remember seeing pieces of it all over the road as it rested about 100 feet away down a small embankment. Thankfully, neither of us sustained life threatening injuries, but I may have some long-term/permanent issues to deal with. AI did find out that she fractured her wrist.

The lady did admit to the police that she ran the light, said she didn't see it. I'm glad I was the only one in the truck...

My girl (the truck) did a damn good job protecting me considering how hard she was hit. Unofficial estimate was 40-45mph.

Some close-ups of the carnage:
IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

Notice the sheared axle, snapped shock, lower control arm ripped from it's mount, and the top of the spindle in embedded in the tire - among other things.
IMG_1318.JPG

Front on pic showing how bad the frame is bent. ARB bumper was shifted over about 3 inches and creased in two places. Front cross member is bent and the weld seam for the upper control arm mount is cracked on the passenger side. Drivers door doesn't shut and all kinds of other parts are busted up.

She was a great ride and the whole family enjoyed the hell out of her for 10+ years. Now on to the next project:
IMG_1324.JPG

Man... I hope you heal fast and don't carry any leftovers from the accident. Someone needs to tell the 20 something that these damned cars have to be driven not just occupied.

Damn! Hope you don't have any long term issues to deal with.

Do you mind posting some pics of the inside, curious how bad things got mashed in the interior.

damn, hope all goes well.
thank god for a well built car.

Damn! Hope you don't have any long term issues to deal with.

Do you mind posting some pics of the inside, curious how bad things got mashed in the interior.

You can't tell much from the interior pics outside of the air bags hanging out. However, the drivers seat was pushed into the console which was pushed over into the passenger sear. Drivers seat mount was a little bent and the drivers door panel was wrecked. I think the dashed was pushed over as well. The ignition switch no longer lined up and the trim ring went flying. Lower trim panel and foot rest were broken as well.

Here are some interior pics. Yes, those are pretzels. Had a new bucket of rods on the passenger seat - they went everywhere:
IMG_1157.JPG

Door panel bent
IMG_1167.JPG

Dash looks a little off around ignition switch. Drivers seat jammed into the center console.

Glad you are OK. Makes me sick when I see that kind of damage- that was a hard hit.

Heal up quickly.

Holy cow, can't even imagine that kind of force. All the best for your recovery.

Not to overlook the important stuff, but I thought a 2005 would have curtain or side airbags?

Glad you are ok and glad the 100 did it's job. Great looking 200. You will not be disappointed.

Holy cow, can't even imagine that kind of force. All the best for your recovery.

Not to overlook the important stuff, but I thought a 2005 would have curtain or side airbags?

It did. Still not sure why they didn't go off. Maybe the impact wasn't inboard enough to set off the sensors???

I just looked through the New Car Features for both the LX and LC. In 2003, side/curtain became standard for the LX, they are listed as optional in the 03 LC guide and nothing is mentioned for them being standard in the 04-07 LC.

I have an 07 LC and have the both side/curtain in mine.

Wow, glad you are okay. Good luck with the 200. Great looking rig.

Looking through the FSM, the side airbag sensor appears to be behind the seat belt assembly near the floor. I don't see anything for the curtain on sensor location.

Prayers out for a speedy recovery.

Also fingers crossed that you get at least a new 200 out of the deal.

I wish. The insurance company was okay with their offer for the vehicle. I ended up getting a 2011 200 series for a decent price. Still a big gap between the two.

Looking through the FSM, the side airbag sensor appears to be behind the seat belt assembly near the floor. I don't see anything for the curtain on sensor location.

If that's the case, I'm glad it didn't get triggered. If she had hit me square in the drivers door at that speed, I'm pretty sure the injuries would have been significantly worse.

Wow, glad you're okay. Sorry about the accident, but a newish 200 series is very, very nice!

I'm pretty sure the injuries would have been significantly worse.

Probably right. I just thought they'd have been triggered, given how that rig looks, and was wondering why they weren't hanging out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom