*Rickashay's 97' LX450* - "Tom Cruiser" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, I just want to say hello. I've been lurking on ih8mud for several years despite my lack of Land Cruiser. An 80-series has always been one of my favorite Toyota 4x4's, and it just so happens that one has recently fallen into my lap from a fellow mudder. This forum blows me away by the amount of knowledge, write-ups, and OCD tendencies that seem to be so common. I'm sure I'm going to fit right in! Anyways, onto the goods....

Alright let's get this started off on the right foot. I'm out at work and have some time on my hands so what better way to spend my night than starting my next build thread! I like to type and post pictures, so if you like either, you may proceed.

I'd like to start with a couple photos of my past builds that ultimately got me to where I am now. I've always been a Toyota guy but my 95' pickup was what initially bit me with the mod bug and what I was driving when I singed up on CT4WD. Shortly after I was enrolled in the TE&S and then soon after, the 101.

5119812986_d956bc343c_z.jpg

Then came "The Duster", my 98' 4Runner that I initially thought I would keep forever. The modd'ing got excessive and I enjoyed every part of the process along the way. I learned a lot mechanically during the build, pushed my driving skills to new levels, and had some unforgettable experiences along the way. This truck will always be my benchmark and it's what really helped me determine what my needs and wants are for my lifelong future on the trail.

20120301-IMG_1069.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The rest is kind of history...

I was recently talking to a friend of mine in Lethbridge who was the former owner of my new LX. I remember when I first met him and he had recently imported the low mileage specimen from Arizona. It was a super clean rig with LOW miles and he had searched for a long time to find it. It was well maintained and completely rust free. When Jeff dropped the bomb that he was going to sell it, I knew that I had to have it. An 80 had always been my dream Toyota but I knew they were becoming extremely difficult to find in good condition, especially ones from one of the rust-free states. Fast forward a couple months and I now find "Tom Cruiser" (hahahaha) in my driveway. The truck needs a couple minor things, including an epic cut and polish, but the rust-free history is what is of utmost importance. The LX was stock when Jeff purchased it from the US, and he has since modded it, and maintained it extremely well with all OEM Toyota parts. My personal style reflects a mental image of the "ultimate" 80-series to be slightly different to Jeff's rendition, but I am provided with a very sturdy platform to begin my own transformation of this already "built" LX.

I would like to thank Vin @ SCS Wheels for always hooking me up with a dose of killer wheels whenever I need them. Your wheels are awesome, keep up the great work and I want to thank you for your past and ongoing support with Toyota projects!

Newcomers to the project, I would like to thank Matt @ ARB for stepping up and helping me out with the LX450. Their products are legendary with the customer service to match. I'm so excited to rep my fair share of the Aussie original on Tom Cruiser! This could get ugly, the ARB catalogue has a lot of pages!

Current mods:
- Roof rack
- Custom F/R bumpers (will be for sale soon... PM if interested)
- Fully Rebuilt Warn 8274 winch (will be for sale soon... PM if interested - may also have the Warn 9.5xp motor to mod this thing to become the "ultimate" winch)
- Rear Aussie Locker
- Australian Canvas seat covers for front
- Custom belly skid
- Cruisin' Offroad sliders
- Front and rear diff. armor
- Reinforced rear lower control arm mounts
- Recently powdercoated (x5) FZJ80 wheels on 315/75/16 Dynapro ATM tires (~85% tread remaining, will be for sale soon... PM if interested)
- Extended diff breathers
- TONS of maintenance

20120614-IMG_1626.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Knowing that all of the PM work has been completed, I'm excited to jump right into the mods. Currently in transit:

- LandTank extended seat rail bracket (the stock seat position does not go back far enough for my 6'6" frame)
- Sears DieHard Platinum Group 31 battery

I had a couple days off this weekend due to rain. I made good use of the time and my brother Chase happened to be in town for some shenanigans. We awoke Sunday morning with a headache but I wasn't going to let the day go to waste. Me and Chase began the tear down.

After the initial seat removal:

20120614-IMG_1638.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I knew the truck would immediately become a 2-seater as I have intentions of building a pretty epic sleeping platform that functions as "dog space" on the trail and converts to a bed at night. In my eyes this is one of the most important mods I will make and I'm looking forward to the extra sleeping space coming from the 4Runner's confined quarters. I could go RTT but I want the COG kept fairly low and am not always a huge fan of the look of a "brick" on the roof of SUV's. My 4Runner's sleeping platform worked very well so I will follow the same basic concept but naturally, have some changes planned. After pulling the seats and knowing my obsessive compulsive tendencies, I knew we had to go further and gut the truck to achieve the ultimate clean slate - literally.

Let the labelling begin:

20120615-IMG_1643.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

In it's current form:

20120615-IMG_1650.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

- Carpets out and ready for shampoo
- interior panels 90% removed - washed with soap and water and hosed down
- full interior wipe down with soap and water
- vacuumed thoroughly

My tentative plans for this summer:
- Sleeping platform
- 35" MT/R Kevlar or Toyo M/T
- SCS wheels
- Slee Shortbus front bumper
- TJM 12K winch
- Thinking of de-flaring and doing liner along the flare lines - metallic silver (either Monstaliner or LineX)
- LED's
- Projector Retrofit

Last edited:
Nice start you are off to. It's nice to not have to worry about the PM stuff right off the bat, that is for sure.

Ah yes, that 4Runner, I've seen it before.... Looked badass then and still does!

Nice start you are off to. It's nice to not have to worry about the PM stuff right off the bat, that is for sure.

Ah yes, that 4Runner, I've seen it before.... Looked badass then and still does!

I agree, having the PM out of the way is a huge perk. Kind of makes it possible for me accept the fact that I bought a black vehicle for trail use!

And Im already missing the 4Runner... Need to get the LX going ASAP.

Great looking truck and off to a great start! Only thing I noticed that might be of issue is the projector retrofit. They don't make headlight housings for the LX, you would need to get LC housings and an LC grill. :)

Thanks! Yah I have a small headlight retrofitting business up here in Canada, already been doing my research on the necessary grille/lower bezel swap. A bummer but, it has to be done. Hoping I can squeeze some OEM Lexus LS projectors into the Depo housings like I did with my 4Runner.

Welcome to the exclusive Pink Panty 80 Club!

:flipoff2:

Hahah damn it feels good to be in a Lexus...

That Runner looks sick! Do you have a build thread somewhere on it?

Looking forward to the progress and welcome aboard!:flipoff2:

Hey, I see you over on CT once in awhile.
Welcome to the Cruiser club. You definitely wont regret it!

Good-looking rig! It looks like your OCD will fit in here quite well.

Welcome! :flipoff2:

I love what you have done to that 4runner and I have seen that somewhere else before too! I can't wait to see what you do to the 80!

That Runner looks sick! Do you have a build thread somewhere on it?

Looking forward to the progress and welcome aboard!:flipoff2:

Thanks and see the bottom of this reply...

OK better yet find some way to make them work with a stock type housing and I will buy a set. lol.

It would be nice if I could figure out how to build some custom lenses for the OEM housings. Would simplify things a LOT. Although, swapping the Depo lenses onto the OEM housings should be an option..... Let's just wait until I tear into them... haha

Hey, I see you over on CT once in awhile.
Welcome to the Cruiser club. You definitely wont regret it!

Thanks! Wasn't your 80 listed for sale, or am I delusional?

Good-looking rig! It looks like your OCD will fit in here quite well.

Welcome! :flipoff2:

Great start - looking forward to the build.

badass 4runner. cant wait to see what your going to do with the 80.

Welcome! Sub'd for sure, look forward to the build.

I love what you have done to that 4runner and I have seen that somewhere else before too! I can't wait to see what you do to the 80!

Thanks for the warm welcome gents!

For those that care, here is a link to my 4Runner build thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/84811-98-sr5-dirt-duster-build.html

My "Wheeling Pictures" thread (Yup, thats the PO of my LX450, wheeling in several of the photos) : http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/116034-%2A%2Arickashays-wheeling-pics-thread%2A%2A.html

And a shot for posterity:

20120217-IMG_0940.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Now all I need to do is get home from work so I can work on the 80. I just hope the recent hail storm didnt mangle the roof/hood. Time will tell...

I thought I would make a quick post here: I'm thinking of de-flaring the Lexus. So the flares/cladding will be off soon and I'd be interested in selling them or trading them for the regular LC flares, if there are any takers, shoot me a PM.

Thanks - will post in the classifieds when they actually get removed in the next couple weeks.

Nice starting point.

On the headlight swap I do not think you need to swap the lower valence just the grill and lights. I have a LC grill here in prep for someday fitting projector retro DEPO lights.

Thanks! Wasn't your 80 listed for sale, or am I delusional?

God no, you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands hahaha

You might be thinking of my post on CT when I found mine to see if someone worked at Charlesglen or could go look at it. Drove down the next week and drove it home.
Best decision I have ever made, compared to my 02 Taco this thing is built like a tank and WAY more capable even without lockers.

Have fun working on it, looks like your off to an great start!

Nice starting point.

On the headlight swap I do not think you need to swap the lower valence just the grill and lights. I have a LC grill here in prep for someday fitting projector retro DEPO lights.

Thanks! Did you used to have a 2-door 2nd gen SAS 4Runner? I recognize your username...

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the LC grille.

I REALLY would like to drop some modd'ed LS460 projectors in the DEPO lights, but that may be a stretch. At the very least I'll cram some FX-R's in there... pretty excited for this. I was actually thinking of getting a 80-Series group buy going in August for our retrofit services.

For anyone who wants to have a peak, here is some of our recent work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/headlight-hookup/

God no, you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands hahaha

You might be thinking of my post on CT when I found mine to see if someone worked at Charlesglen or could go look at it. Drove down the next week and drove it home.
Best decision I have ever made, compared to my 02 Taco this thing is built like a tank and WAY more capable even without lockers.

Have fun working on it, looks like your off to an great start!

OK now your bringing back some memories, were you the guy who travelled to seattle to buy that 80 series to find it had an exhaust hole in the frame? Or am I mistaken AGAIN. lol I do apologize. I agree with all of your above statements though, stoked for the capability of this rig out of the box with more room to spare. My LX has the Aussie in the rear, but I'll probably be swapping that for air lockers and 4.88/5.29 gears in good time. Not sure if I like the ratcheting locker, or at least, that was my initial biast perspective. Now that I think about it, I havent even noticed it in there while driving the LX. Hmmmmmm....

Yes I did, like you it was my favorite vehickle when i sold it and got the LX. The LX in all aspects has proven its self over the 3 years i have owned it, love it. Its not as extreme as the 4runner was but it easily gets be everywhere I want to go in comfort. In the starting stages of a diesel swap now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom