Rhino lining the body of a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, Rattleguard calls in generically " tan" and isn't forthcoming on the paint code, as I want to colormatch it for some small areas.
My local Carquest does paint, and their guy is leaning toward buckskin tan, independently, I thought the same thing. I'll know for sure soon enough.

okay so in addition to my other questions...

for the people who have done their own lining.. how much product did you apply? one guy said about half a gallon. is this accurate? how thick did you put it on? spray or roll on?

I think im going to roll mine on. I want to do it pretty thick to have as much protection as possible. in some areas im going to brush it on with a paint brush. I want to do the textured to the body and do the smooth durabak to the different trim pieces and grill.

any advice on masking tape? someone mentioned using electrical tape for the curves. that sounds like a good idea to me. anyone actually do this?

has anyone had any bleeding through the tape?

Thanks everyone

my collection of bedliner'd 60s...

I'm going to do mine in the matte military green/black combo...
a8e6_1.JPG.jpg
Black and green.JPG.jpg
tancruiser[5].jpg

It seems like there was a thread about this awhile back where they guy said it didn't look "right" until he had done about 4 coats. I don't know if that helps, but thought I'd chime in.

well im ordering tomorrow. i will add as much info as i can to this thread when i am done.

the smooth durabak sample looks good btw. almost tempted to do the whole job with it but i want my truck to have a slightly rougher appearance overall.

okay so in addition to my other questions...

for the people who have done their own lining.. how much product did you apply? one guy said about half a gallon. is this accurate? how thick did you put it on? spray or roll on?

I think im going to roll mine on. I want to do it pretty thick to have as much protection as possible. in some areas im going to brush it on with a paint brush. I want to do the textured to the body and do the smooth durabak to the different trim pieces and grill.

any advice on masking tape? someone mentioned using electrical tape for the curves. that sounds like a good idea to me. anyone actually do this?

has anyone had any bleeding through the tape?

Thanks everyone

I used all 1 1/2 gals of the sprayed on Rattleguard. As you can see above, I covered up to the 2nd distinct body line most of the way up the doors. It's meant to go on up to 3/8" thickness, so that's why the low sq ft coverage. Mine ended up around 1/4 " at most, but I can take a hammer to it w/o ill effect.
I sprayed using a regular Shutz gun at 55 psi using a 2hp compressor.
A decent green paper and 3M masking tape worked very well, my lines were amazingly crisp. I even masked the bolt holes for the emblems and such successfully. It took a full day to mask, and about 25 mins to spray.
Electrical tape? I can't comment on that one. Most folks just say to use a thinner width, quality tape and it'll make the bends very well. An X-acto knife/razor helped a lot, too.
Rolling it on would save masking the ENTIRE truck and nearby shop stuff, due to overspray. it won't build as deep a texture as the sprayed on Rattleguard, but looking at closeups of the Durabak site, it does take on a very thick eggshell appearance.

well i placed my order just now.
1 gallon of textured uv black
1 quart of smooth uv black

they have a minimum order of 1 gallon so you cant just buy 1 quart of durabak at a time.

should receive my order in 7-10 days:D

anyone have advice on where to buy xylene or a good substitute for it?

I couldn't find xylene, settled for acetone...
pismodunesmaller.jpg

anyone have advice on where to buy xylene or a good substitute for it?
I find xylene at my local Carquest that does auto paint, and at Sherwin Williams.
Happy painting!

so im basically done. im letting it dry more and then im putting everything back on.

heres some pics
2007-07-22 025 (Medium).jpg
2007-07-22 026 (Medium).jpg
2007-07-22 028 (Medium).jpg

Thomas-You did a nice job with that. It looks great.

I really like the looks of that!

I don't/won't be taking mine off road enough to warrant it but if I was going to I would do exactly that....

very sweet!!

Tim

Not too shabby.
I'd like to hear from folks on the longevity of the Durabak/Herc on a well-worn trail rig.
I'm betting that coatings like the full-on 2 part Rattleguard, and the like will hold up to abuse longer than the Durabak/Herc type stuff.
Naturally, having chosen the Rattleguard, I would feel this way ;) , but that was the #1 reason for justifying the extra prep work.
We'll see.

That looks great. Now does your stuff, rhino lining, whatever...how hard is it to remove if you ever want to do a paint job. Is it THAT permanent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom