Rhinestone Cowboy - '75 Mustard FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good luck in Idaho @mattressking!!! You have a place here in TX to hang if ya swing by. Enjoyed reading this and your new life journey. Glad you left CA.

Great trip. Wished I could have swung a bit more with you all. Glad you will be moving a bit closer and give me more reason to take a trip out East.

Only 7.5 hours away! We could meet up somewhere in the middle too!

Subscribed...not sure if I'm following for the FJ content or the photos, probably both.

Awesome photos, stories...and the truck is nice, too!
Ha! Appreciate that - I need to work on my photography but....I'm too focused on keeping the truck going to sharpen that skill right now.
Good luck in Idaho @mattressking!!! You have a place here in TX to hang if ya swing by. Enjoyed reading this and your new life journey. Glad you left CA.
Thanks CD! I still need to organize a trip to Texas...been saying I would be there too many times. Same with @dogfishlake
Great thread.
Thanks! Your 40 is coming along so beautifully! Drive it out west next summer!

Where are you looking in Idaho ?
Nampa
Great Post!! Amazing scenery!
Thanks! I can’t get over it either

In other news, this fell in my lap unexpectedly with a huge thank you to @Trail Rated not showing the copious amounts of spares to go along with it.

8F5416D9-2CB1-4383-84D6-1517C5B3FFCB.jpeg

A2C0F43A-0657-45E7-893A-76541286CE25.jpeg

Now that’s a score!!!

Last edited:
Is there a H55 in the works too?

@mattressking I had to stop and get a shot of the cruiser poster earlier in Darby, MT. I just followed your route down the 93 into southern Idaho over the weekend. I sure wish I was in my 40!

IMG_0369.JPG

@mattressking I had to stop and get a shot of the cruiser poster earlier in Darby, MT. I just followed your route down the 93 into southern Idaho over the weekend. I sure wish I was in my 40!

View attachment 2823004
I see that ugly ass 40 every time I drive down there!

There is a hella nice one that is at the Chief Joseph ranch, always sits at the barn where they are filming Yellowstone.

I see that ugly ass 40 every time I drive down there!

There is a hella nice one that is at the Chief Joseph ranch, always sits at the barn where they are filming Yellowstone.
There was a beautiful red 40 (with a very ugly steel tube bumper) sitting out in front of the car wash in Hamilton. Didn't get a picture of that one. That Bitterroot Valley is really a treasure. We drove up to the to Lost Horse Observation Point where were hoping to get a good look back North up the valley from that elevation but it never did transpire. The view of the mountains to the West though, was literally breathtaking from that point. The expanse and immense size just punch you right in the mouth. I browsed zillow a bit for properties in the area while we cooked and ate dinner, and like everywhere else beautiful and rural, you have to be at the point of retirement or independently wealthy to afford anything on the market in these strange times. Not a chance in hell there is the economy in that valley to support the asking home prices, you have to bring ALL the money in from the outside.

What part of MT are you in?

There was a beautiful red 40 (with a very ugly steel tube bumper) sitting out in front of the car wash in Hamilton. Didn't get a picture of that one. That Bitterroot Valley is really a treasure. We drove up to the to Lost Horse Observation Point where were hoping to get a good look back North up the valley from that elevation but it never did transpire. The view of the mountains to the West though, was literally breathtaking from that point. The expanse and immense size just punch you right in the mouth. I browsed zillow a bit for properties in the area while we cooked and ate dinner, and like everywhere else beautiful and rural, you have to be at the point of retirement or independently wealthy to afford anything on the market in these strange times. Not a chance in hell there is the economy in that valley to support the asking home prices, you have to bring ALL the money in from the outside.

What part of MT are you in?
That red one has been up for sale recently, I work in Hamilton.

20191205_170028.jpg
20191205_170003.jpg

View attachment 2823004
Haha! Glad you could see it in person! Nice fella that owns it, seems like a family heirloom to him, nothing more.

View attachment 2823225View attachment 2823226

Red truck...he owns the car wash right? I saw that as well in Hamilton.

View attachment 2823225View attachment 2823226
Dang, didn't see the for sale sign or would have stopped for sure. It must have fallen down, cause the 40 was parked right in that exact same spot, but for sure not FS sign. You need to convince owner of the red one to ditch that hideous bumper. It ruins the truck!

Work in Hamilton, Lucky Dog!

Red truck...he owns the car wash right? I saw that as well in Hamilton
Something weird, like the guy that actually owns it lives in Missouri, the guy that owns the car wash is local. They just use it for advertisement. I think the guy that owns the 40 sold the car wash to the local guy a couple of years ago.

Dang, didn't see the for sale sign or would have stopped for sure. It must have fallen down, cause the 40 was parked right in that exact same spot, but for sure not FS sign. You need to convince owner of the red one to ditch that hideous bumper. It ruins the truck!

Work in Hamilton, Lucky Dog!
They're shooting for the moon on the price.

The guy told me they had some hot shot from Seattle that came in a few years ago, offered to write a check for $40K on the spot, the actual owner declined at the time.

A year later he decided it might be a good time to sell. It's definitely a nice rig, I'm just going to say mine is BUILT better.

While waiting for a vin inspection on a motorcycle, I decided to work some more on cleaning up the steering wheel, specifically painting the horn buttons white. This one is far more tedious than dash knobs. The recess for the logo is not nearly as deep, so two coats of oil-based white and wet sanding got me pretty darn close. Good enough for me right now. Wheel went back together nicely.

TMay8P3h.jpg

KXZ9CSTh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom