RHD JDM mall crawler (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And last of all for today where it sits now. Totally driveable. minus having to run new wiring to rock lights, EOM seatbelts and center counsel And plugging the ARB switches and small things back up it’s done. So weight wise it’s lighter now. My last weigh in it was at 6,300 with a half tank and no spare. Had some tools as well. Now with a spare but no tools and a full tank it’s 6000lbs! Somehow I added all this tube and made it lighter! I attribute much of this to losing the sunroof, the seats being lighter and stripping out alot like drawer systems and things like that. Also even though this project used 9 23 foot sticks of tube there’s chunks I didn’t use and a good bit was new sliders and other such things. I am surprised how much less it weighs though it’s kind of crazy.
577E9679-3DB4-4A4D-9419-0FA4B5C5ADD5.jpeg

Out of everything I have done so far I will confidently say this was the hardest project I’ve done. It’s not perfect and it was my introduction to tube work but it’s stout for sure and you can feel the 300lbs less just in town. And I did have one pic of a mostly finished interior.
6D6902C0-910A-4B41-8F97-B11C4FE8C9B9.jpeg
B0433CF7-8770-405D-B5F2-CE8E66637666.jpeg
B6B9101A-0F4F-456D-9C44-434F7FAC2538.jpeg

right before last weekend I came home from a work trip and got into the remaining interior that needed assembled. I found on eBay a wrap to go over the center counsel top. The cover was kind of a pain to install but I ended up using some contact cement to keep it all in place and not lose. but I wanted to change the rest of the color of of the counsel. I’m not sure it will hold up but I bought some interior paint in black. I used this for the trunk plastics and the steering wheel center and liked it so we will see how it holds up.
DC483247-72F8-4615-BC20-DDFCB98CBE68.jpeg

I also needed to block off the open din from the single din head unit I bought. I made this from some aluminum I have and then used some 3m VHB to attach it. I also painted it with Seymour 316 stainless. I also stuck my radio face to this block off plate once it was assembled.
F0F0A00D-728C-493A-ABB5-2E8F077A4225.jpeg
ECCE6AFB-9407-4D3E-8D6A-3B57D3B50A4D.jpeg
06AC2E4F-A3AC-4FA8-8DBF-C7535510F3C1.jpeg

The only thing I have installed yet is the new dome light switches and the boost and EGT gages

I went snow wheeling last weekend as well and along with driving around town there’s more creaks and pops than when I parked it. Mostly sounds like suspension joints so I started pulling them and servicing all the barns off-road flex joints. I wanted to be lazy and do them one at a time but after one I’m gonna get it on jackstands then pull the springs and all the links at once.

While they are apart I also plan to paint them with the same Seymour 316 stainless paint I used on my steering and cage. It’s help up much better than the clear I did the links with.
9BFCC191-733E-4AAD-A831-F3202E80CF02.jpeg
5EA525DD-3C8E-4602-BE12-3B952B20BF49.jpeg
A91D27A5-4700-4334-97B8-508A6563238D.jpeg

Kind of funny, around this time every year I need to go through and grease all the joints in my 80 also. Must be a linked 80 series thing :banana::worms:

Not sure where you head for snow, but in the next couple of weekends I am hoping to get up towards Wagner or Dutchman and see how bad the drifts are.

Kind of funny, around this time every year I need to go through and grease all the joints in my 80 also. Must be a linked 80 series thing :banana::worms:

Not sure where you head for snow, but in the next couple of weekends I am hoping to get up towards Wagner or Dutchman and see how bad the drifts are.
I had one creaking for couple months but after it sitting for nearly 2 months there’s a few that are pretty loud and annoying. I tried using the flush zeros but those didn’t let anything in after pull them apart.

Are you in southern Oregon? I’m not a big snow wheeler although I want to do more now. Usually I go out highway 62 Twards lake of the woods somewhere. Last weekend we went around gold hill area and that was a lot of fun.

I am, in Phoenix. Usually big into snow wheeling, but this year have been pretty lazy. Also with a new tiny person time is pretty limiting.

I had a couple of the Barnes joints that wouldn't let grease in until I tore them apart, after that for some reason they grease just fine every time. I was also pretty smart and didn't grease them when new, waited until I had them all installed and the zerks not accessable before I tried... A good snow season seems to wash grease out of them, but so does driving in the summer. Just part of rebuildable joints.

Shoot that explained a ton! Mine are barns and I did not grease them prior! They must have had a little grease in them and there was a tiny amount bust mostly dried out and caked.

Yeah I live in white city but it’s awesome there’s another linked 80 in the valley. I haven’t met basically anyone who actually wheels there 80 locally.

Shoot that explained a ton! Mine are barns and I did not grease them prior! They must have had a little grease in them and there was a tiny amount bust mostly dried out and caked.

Yeah I live in white city but it’s awesome there’s another linked 80 in the valley. I haven’t met basically anyone who actually wheels there 80 locally.
There use to be another snow wheeler around in an 80, but haven't heard from him in years. Plus a couple from GP, but life seems to have slowed most of us down. I have a couple friends that are usually good for short notice trips, tentatively planning a Eubicon and Fordyce trip later this summer(but will probably fizzle out).

Otherwise things are pretty squirrley for me lately, but try to get out when I can.

If you see this turd on tiny 37s wobbling around make sure to get our attention, it's a little rougher now.

20230301_173848.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom