Reverse gear slipping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with all that it doesn’t make sense that the NSS would cause this issue, but I spent weeks researching this and talking to people with the same issue. In almost every instance when they replaced the NSS it resolved the issue

I'll be doing that. At the very least, I'll get my indicator lights back. At least, I hope?

I guess Dean will call me in a couple off weeks asking me if i still have the 94 tranny. 😁. Just kidding i had him flush mine, but when you change the oil on a transmission going bad, it most likely fail right away.
I haven't. But I plan on taking her to H&H Automotive in Charlotte in a few weeks. I think I've taken her as far as I could go. I'll have him check it out fully and see what he finds.

6EDA6F4D-6BFA-4BE8-AEDA-B74F18410EB8.jpeg

I’ll just leave this here

It's got nothing to do with the trans and everything to do with the connectors above the starter going to the trans. Disconnect them and clean them really good. Your trans isn't the problem the wiring to it is. Also could be a wire at the egr causing the issue but usually the connectors.

When you get over 5-10mph in reverse it disengages? This is where to look.

It's got nothing to do with the trans and everything to do with the connectors above the starter going to the trans. Disconnect them and clean them really good. Your trans isn't the problem the wiring to it is. Also could be a wire at the egr causing the issue but usually the connectors.

When you get over 5-10mph in reverse it disengages? This is where to look.

Yup, I would say over 5-10mph, rpm increases and it's going nowhere until I let go of the pedal. I don't know much about these cars, but in my experience with other cars, I don't think a problem with just the reverse gear is a sign of a tranny going bad. There's zero issues going forward and it's really smooth. I would lean towards wiring. There is a lot of leakage underneath, especially the power steering. It has coated a lot of the wiring that's underneath. Hoping it is the wiring, and not the tranny.

I guess Dean will call me in a couple off weeks asking me if i still have the 94 tranny. 😁. Just kidding i had him flush mine, but when you change the oil on a transmission going bad, it most likely fail right away.

You know Dean well? This is the first and only "LC shop" I found in the Charlotte area. I know they work on all makes and models. I heard from others that H&H is really good.

There are others in the Charlotte area, Endy's and Railside Auto. Both have good LC experience and you will often see Toyotas there. But for anything serious, Trollhole Cruisers is in a different class altogether. I have never been to H&H.

There are others in the Charlotte area, Endy's and Railside Auto. Both have good LC experience and you will often see Toyotas there. But for anything serious, Trollhole Cruisers is in a different class altogether. I have never been to H&H.

I'm all for going to highly recommended shops. But just looked them up. Unfortunately, they are 2+ hours away from me.

Railside should be just down the street from you, Endy's 30 minutes towards Albemarle. Trollohole 2 hours, but worth it for his knowledge and meticulous work, only Land Cruisers.

I know him as much as some other people here. I just have more parts and i am two blocks from him. He is a good guy and have been happy with what he has done for me. He also is here in mud and every so often say something. I guess after working on them all day you don't want to talk about LC. I have a 97 so the tranny that i have is different that what i need. I hope you figure it out.
You know Dean well? This is the first and only "LC shop" I found in the Charlotte area. I know they work on all makes and models. I heard from others that H&H is really good.

Railside should be just down the street from you, Endy's 30 minutes towards Albemarle. Trollohole 2 hours, but worth it for his knowledge and meticulous work, only Land Cruisers.

Thanks! Keeping track of these shops.

I know him as much as some other people here. I just have more parts and i am two blocks from him. He is a good guy and have been happy with what he has done for me. He also is here in mud and every so often say something. I guess after working on them all day you don't want to talk about LC. I have a 97 so the tranny that i have is different that what i need. I hope you figure it out.

I'm sure Dean will figure it out. :) I called H&H earlier to schedule an appt, and I may have spoken to him. Not sure. But I basically told him that I wanted to have my car looked over and see if something was close to needing replacement or repair. And I told him of the current issues I have now, which are the whining after 30-40mph, the reverse issue and the leaky power steering. I'd like to be proactive, rather than reactive.

This just happened to me the other day with my 94 Reversing up hill to let let another vehicle pass on a narrow road. I noticed my reverse lights not working 3-4 months ago and my lights are out on my dash and column. Did you ever replace your NSS or clean the connection that trollhole mentioned?

This just happened to me the other day with my 94 Reversing up hill to let let another vehicle pass on a narrow road. I noticed my reverse lights not working 3-4 months ago and my lights are out on my dash and column. Did you ever replace your NSS or clean the connection that trollhole mentioned?

A few days, I installed a knock sensor that was missing (oddly enough). After doing that, I decided to look at those 4 connectors. They are definitely a bit wet. I didn't get to clean them though. On my next oil change, I will do that. Stay tuned.

FIXED!!! So my 94 had reverse slippage, wouldn’t stay in low gear when shifter was placed in low gear same with 2nd. Reverse lights not working. Door ajar not working. Dash gear indicator lights all not working. Replaced the NSS. Old plug had lots of corrosion. Plug the new one in and nothing😖. Pain in the ass to do in a dirt driveway btw. Took it to a garage who just happened to be a TLC guy and owns 2 80s😃He replaced the car side plug which was corroded as well and it is all good now. Just in time for camping season!

FIXED!!! So my 94 had reverse slippage, wouldn’t stay in low gear when shifter was placed in low gear same with 2nd. Reverse lights not working. Door ajar not working. Dash gear indicator lights all not working. Replaced the NSS. Old plug had lots of corrosion. Plug the new one in and nothing😖. Pain in the ass to do in a dirt driveway btw. Took it to a garage who just happened to be a TLC guy and owns 2 80s😃He replaced the car side plug which was corroded as well and it is all good now. Just in time for camping season!

Which garage did you take it to? I still have to address this issue. Although mine isn't as bad. Reverse is fine, unless I hit the gas hard. And the indicator lights and reverse lights don't work.

Which garage did you take it to? I still have to address this issue. Although mine isn't as bad. Reverse is fine, unless I hit the gas hard. And the indicator lights and reverse lights don't work.
I live in San Luis Obispo County California.
Nelsons Garage in Cayucos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom