Replacing body mounts with a full set of new factory ones (no lift). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One job I've considered for yonks is replacing all the body mounts. Mine are originals so 29 yrs old and I know the two front ones are no good.

I'm not interested in a body lift - just want to replace the factory mounts with all new factory mounts.

I think it's possible to do it one side at a time (ie. undo them all them lift up one side of the body, deal with the fallout, put new ones in, repear with the other side).

Who's tackled this? I have no way to compare NVH, etc. between my 80 and one that's got body mounts in very good like new condition but I'd imagine there is a discernable difference. I don't need/want to fully separate body and chassis but it might be nice to repaint and treat surface degradation on the chassis rails during this.

One job I've considered for yonks is replacing all the body mounts. Mine are originals so 29 yrs old and I know the two front ones are no good.

I'm not interested in a body lift - just want to replace the factory mounts with all new factory mounts.

I think it's possible to do it one side at a time (ie. undo them all them lift up one side of the body, deal with the fallout, put new ones in, repear with the other side).

Who's tackled this? I have no way to compare NVH, etc. between my 80 and one that's got body mounts in very good like new condition but I'd imagine there is a discernable difference. I don't need/want to fully separate body and chassis but it might be nice to repaint and treat surface degradation on the chassis rails during this.
I did this on two of my fj40's. Problem will be twisting off of bolt heads... lots of them. Other than that "no big deal"... just sayin.

If the bolts break then so be it. I don't think I'd re-use any of the old bits.

I did this, albiet with a body lift and already having the body off, on one. Another was done with OEM, one side at a time.
You will need to loosen both sides, to give enough bolt length to maneuver. Remove one side, jack up a couple inches, and remove the compressed rubber bits. You'll be amazed at how compressed and degraded ~30 yr rubber gets.
Have new hardware and bushings ready. You could reuse current bolts, but, they're really not that much new, and certainly better quality without grime/rust/etc.
I ended up with 3 bent body bolts, which were bent before I bought them. New ones lines up pretty easily, and, with the slack in the other side bolts, allowed enough play to line it back up, solo.
I loosely put new nuts on, on each side; then gave the body a shake, rocking it side to side a couple times The body will shift slightly and not bind on the bolts.

Super easy, 1 person job.

Make a cradle for your whole rocker panel from 2x4 or 2x6. This obviously if you have no access to a lift. Lift off the cradle with a tall lifting floor jack. Do one side at a time but loosen both sides before starting. Pull fan shroud before starting!

Be safe, do at your own risk.

Yes, it makes a pretty big difference in overall refreshing of an old Cruiser.

Cheers

I replaced all body mounts just a couple days ago. It’s recorded on the last page of my thread.

@YMT is spot on.

For what it's worth, I bought my bushings years ago from fbest:
They fit perfect, and saved me 1/2 the cost of OEM.

I believe I have a thread on here detailing the work I did.

It's something I've been thinking about for a while since I found the two front-most mounts are like broken (ish). I will try to get all new genuine parts since the current ones have lasted almost 30 yrs. Does anyone actually 'collate' a full kit of the genuine toyota body mounts for 80's?

It's something I've been thinking about for a while since I found the two front-most mounts are like broken (ish). I will try to get all new genuine parts since the current ones have lasted almost 30 yrs. Does anyone actually 'collate' a full kit of the genuine toyota body mounts for 80's?

Would appreciate someone double-checking me on the list below:

body mount (under front seat feet)252203-60042
body mount (under front seat feet)252204-60042
body mount (under rear seat feet)452205-60010
body mount (under rear seat)452206-60010
body mount (outboard of rear springs)252209-60050
body mount (rear of frame R HDJ81)152241-60020
body mount (rear of frame L HDJ81)152242-60010

042D8B62-1017-47CD-BC70-0B0091174D37.jpeg
This is a complete list of all mounts and hardware. I replaced mine a week ago.

Straight from ToyoDIY - this list is for the 1992 HZJ80. Happy Christmas all!

hzj80_bodymounts.jpg

I know it's not OEM, and he's a bit backlogged with orders, but Roger at 4Crawler sells stock height body mounts and hardware, in addition to body lifts.

I went thru 4Crawler for my body lift kit, and he was very knowledgeable, and very quick with responses.

Those do not look like my rear cushions.

Those do not look like my rear cushions.

My pic is of the ones that are just forward of the ones I assume you’re talking about. They’re close to the middle and front seats. I still need to replace the ‘cushions’(ones that free float and are just sandwiched in between the body and frame with no steel or bolts just forward of the rear body mounts).

My pic is of the ones that are just forward of the ones I assume you’re talking about. They’re close to the middle and front seats. I still need to replace the ‘cushions’(ones that free float and are just sandwiched in between the body and frame with no steel or bolts just forward of the rear body mounts).
Those small cushions are held to the body by a bolt with a 12mm head.

Those small cushions are held to the body by a bolt with a 12mm head.
Hmmm. I don’t doubt that. But mine aren’t 😆 there is a bolt screwed into the body, but on mine it just keeps the bushing centered . . .🤷‍♂️

Does this mean you won’t be able to install that cushion? Not really picking up what you are putting down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom