replacement leather for interiour. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am concidering to replace the leather on the front seats in my 2001.

I see several producers of replacement leather.
some of them:
mosly
lseat
ridies

what are your`experiences on these different suppliers?
wich one is the best.. best looking.. best fit.. and best quality.

I have had a positive experience with Mosley Motors leather so far, but I only just installed it so no long term input. From my research they sell Roadwire but can’t advertise it by name. I ran into a couple issues with some of the pieces I received and they have been quick to send out replacements.

Other alternatives to consider besides Lseat and Ridies are:
  • Hot Rod Leather
  • Interior Innovations (might be the same seller as Ridies, has the same contact number)
  • Land Cruiser Heaven

Are you guys doing the work yourselves, or taking the seats and the leather (covers/kits) to an upholstery shop? Are shops cool with this - is it like bringing parts to your mechanic? We know how much shops love that.

Search around the forum using each of those vendors as the search title, you'll find many threads on them.

I brought my LSeat covers in to an auto upholstery shop, they had no issue doing the work with outside materials.

I am concidering to replace the leather on the front seats in my 2001.

I see several producers of replacement leather.
some of them:
mosly
lseat
ridies

what are your`experiences on these different suppliers?
wich one is the best.. best looking.. best fit.. and best quality.
IMG_8803.jpeg

These are Lseat covers after two years on a buddy's truck. The vinyl on the side has completely ripped off and the leather doesn't seem to hold up either. I have Lseat on my truck too (have had them for three years) but I condition and clean it every six months. You definitely get what you pay for with these. My covers are showing signs of flaking like these

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

thats a shame to see the Lseat's not holding up at all. looks like low quality materials, but what can you expect at that price range?

Are you guys doing the work yourselves, or taking the seats and the leather (covers/kits) to an upholstery shop? Are shops cool with this - is it like bringing parts to your mechanic? We know how much shops love that.

I did the work myself. The shops that I reached out to were not interested in installing someone else’s kit. The local shop prices for me was in the $4-6k range.

Just got my pass side seat bottom donne along with the center console cover. Paid a local guy to do it, $400. Looks pretty good to me. I've had the same guy do seat bottoms on other cruisers I have had, and they all turned out nice.
There is likely an automotive reupholstered near you that will do it for less than $3k. Dang. I had the leather redone on front seats for a Porsche 928 a few years back and it turned out amazing and was only $900.
1000006923.jpg

You get what you pay for. You really need to ask yourself what the goal is here. If you just want to protect the seats from further damage, throw some towels / cheap covers down and move on. If you're looking to get a factory fresh look back then go to Land Cruise Heaven . They appear to be the highest quality compared to others. I am basing that on reviews from other people on these forums VS my personal experience with LCH

I'll admit there were certain quirks with these covers which sort of annoyed me when installing but now that they are on, all is well. 90% of the leather feels really durable and my dog scratches all over it without issues BUT I noticed the sides and sort of the middle bottom seem to be a bit more shiny / not as rough leather like other parts of the seat

I contacted LCH about it and they said it's 100% leather and that's that. 2 years later it seems to be holding up fine I just wish it all had that rough leather feel.

>> Get some good hog ring pliers and you can handle the job yourself

1701119494480.png
1701119505306.png
1701119524874.png

These are OEM, those little fabric things seem necessary and the LCH didn't have the flaps. I cut and secured them to the LCH material but that shouldn't have been necessary

1701119912921.png

My complaint about some leather seems stretchy and other parts seem rugged.

1701119960249.png

Last edited:
I agree, you what you pay for. I have done l seats leather covers on an old bmw e30, and they are ok. Couple years later, they have held up reasonably well, but don't look as nice as I would like.
Having done several seats in both BMWs and land cruisers and a Porsche, I think if you find a good local upholstery shop it will potentially cost less, and be done better... I would be unhappy with all the looseness in the above pictures, and if it came from a shop like that I would return for repair.
Here's a 928 seat I had redone. They replaced several leather panels on the seat. Came out awesome. . And some vinyl redone on a bmw interior. Took hours and hours. Came out pretty good. The vinyl is easier to work with than leather.
1000006928.jpg

1000006926.jpg

View attachment 3492580

These are Lseat covers after two years on a buddy's truck. The vinyl on the side has completely ripped off and the leather doesn't seem to hold up either. I have Lseat on my truck too (have had them for three years) but I condition and clean it every six months. You definitely get what you pay for with these. My covers are showing signs of flaking like these

View attachment 3492581

View attachment 3492582
I bought leather seat covers from LSeats and they sent all vinyl, covers and they refused to send new leather ones. I would not recommend them to anyone....

My Lseats are 3 years old and not holding up well at all. 1/10 would not recommend. Will go with LC heaven next time. I suspect in another 2-3 years these will need replacing again. And to the other's point, I had a hard time finding anyone willing to install another person's kit. I finally found one but I was about ready to give up and/or do it myself. It's not that hard, just time consuming.

I have bought and installed random leather seat covers from eBay (various suppliers) and haven't had issues within the first couple years. I'm surprised to see the issues people have.

At one time, LC Heaven had big wait times and delivery issues, so I'd be sure you pay with a credit card and have some recourse.

You get what you pay for. You really need to ask yourself what the goal is here. If you just want to protect the seats from further damage, throw some towels / cheap covers down and move on. If you're looking to get a factory fresh look back then go to Land Cruise Heaven . They appear to be the highest quality compared to others. I am basing that on reviews from other people on these forums VS my personal experience with LCH

I'll admit there were certain quirks with these covers which sort of annoyed me when installing but now that they are on, all is well. 90% of the leather feels really durable and my dog scratches all over it without issues BUT I noticed the sides and sort of the middle bottom seem to be a bit more shiny / not as rough leather like other parts of the seat

I contacted LCH about it and they said it's 100% leather and that's that. 2 years later it seems to be holding up fine I just wish it all had that rough leather feel.

>> Get some good hog ring pliers and you can handle the job yourself

View attachment 3492901View attachment 3492902View attachment 3492903

These are OEM, those little fabric things seem necessary and the LCH didn't have the flaps. I cut and secured them to the LCH material but that shouldn't have been necessary

View attachment 3492911

My complaint about some leather seems stretchy and other parts seem rugged.

View attachment 3492913
Color looks good, will they fit the LX570 seats?

LeatherSeats.com covers installed on my GX. USA-sewn and $700 for the pair. They feel amazing and the color is a perfect match. I avoided LSeat and Ridies due to the bad reviews on here. They were honestly a fairly easy DIY install. Leather on the tops and vinyl elsewhere, like OEM.
20231222_195118.jpg

20240106_160731.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom