Repairing Differential E-Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't say it was stuck, it just wasn't moving freely . I used this stuff it works like magic.
1596817672137.png

Thread a bolt into the rod and use that to try and twist it around and out.

Putting this here for completeness on refreshing the e-locker system. My e-locker lights started randomly flashing and eventually were stuck permanently on. The lockers themselves were not on, just the lights. It turned out that the capacitors in the diff lock ecu had dried out, which unfortunately is common for capacitors of this era. If this happens to you, pull your 4wd ecu and replace these guys. I believe they are 10V 47uF but I can't remember for sure. You can get them from Mouser.

1612232956751.jpeg

1612233433330.jpeg

Neither of my electronic differential locks was engaging, so I thought I was unfortunately in need of undertaking an E-locker repair. I searched 80 threads for the what and how of removing, tearing down, rehabilitating and reassembling stuck lockers, but was a bit disappointed to find there wasn’t just a single, comprehensive thread. I took it upon myself to collect the best information and cobble together a more comprehensive guide for diagnoses and repair for myself and others. It is attached here in Word file format by our loving moderator, Romer. Thankfully, my issue turned out to simply be a loose switch connector. May yours go as smoothly.

If there is something that I missed, or some gross errors, please feel free to PM me with your thoughts and I’ll edit where appropriate.

Thanks to all of my predecessors who I stole from to put this document together, largely Raventai, FJBen, Photoman, Landtank, Gauge, & Beowulf.
Reviving an old thread but this .pdf helped save me $1000. Got all 3 of my lockers working again. Thank you.

Okay, waking it again. What seems like a dumb question but before I go diving in I want to make sure: I've determined that my position switch is bad. (thanks for your write up!). Is replacing that a simple screw out/screw in procedure? I've done a lot of online hunting and seen references that it may not be that easy... but haven't found a definitive.

If you have a wrench the proper size and can get it on the switch it is a simple screw out/in.

This happe
Putting this here for completeness on refreshing the e-locker system. My e-locker lights started randomly flashing and eventually were stuck permanently on. The lockers themselves were not on, just the lights. It turned out that the capacitors in the diff lock ecu had dried out, which unfortunately is common for capacitors of this era. If this happens to you, pull your 4wd ecu and replace these guys. I believe they are 10V 47uF but I can't remember for sure. You can get them from Mouser.

View attachment 2572662
View attachment 2572668
This happened with my rear locker a couple years ago and I haven’t had a lot of motivation to dig into it - it’s just a light on the dash. Never would have figured this out, thanks.

This happe

This happened with my rear locker a couple years ago and I haven’t had a lot of motivation to dig into it - it’s just a light on the dash. Never would have figured this out, thanks.
Pretty easy to do if you're handy with a soldering iron. This fix is still holding up for me.

Pretty easy to do if you're handy with a soldering iron. This fix is still holding up for me.
I ordered a new one from Amayama. It was $226 shipped. There seem to be very few left anywhere so this kinda made sense for not a huge price.

@Nay can you post a pic of it please ? I got one from Rock Auto and I want to confirm how it looks

i didn’t want to paint it so I just sprayed it with fluid film. That’s my new 6 month maintenance

Last edited:
@Nay can you post a pic of it please ? I got one from Rock Auto and I want to confirm how it looks
It’s shipping in the next day or two, but the pic posted looks exactly like what was posted up above on this thread.

Those little capacitors cost $226? Hope mine don't fail but will have to keep that in mind for the vehicle budget.

Part number or link please.

That has to be for the whole ECU. The capacitors are like $1.
I figured that couldn't be the price but the current semiconductor market issues and inflation etc anything starts to seem possible :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom