Remove California smog equipment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Am now looking at a hzj73 with 1hz turbo diesel engine. Are diesel engines exempt in PA from emissions?

I know some of the Toyota diesels engines are less than stellar, not sure if the 1HZ is one of them...maybe @Pacer or @fireball can chime in...

Wasn’t there an importer in philly that @shmukster got his from? I remember in his thread there was another gent on here that owned a business that imported desirable grey market trucks, his user name and business name escapes me.

Gary bought his truck from a guy in New England somewhere. The business in the Philly area that was, or still is, selling imported diesels was/is apparently infamous for odometer rollbacks...o_O

The garage in Philly is Mendels Garage. They get some very interesting vehicles in. I'd have bought the cruiser that I went to look at if they hadn't sold it off eBay the night before I drove down there. Yes it is alleged that there has been some odometer tampering by them. Having said that, they are negotiable and relatively local so a potential buyer can see and drive a vehicle he's interested in.
I bought my truck from a private owner who imported it himself from Japan. I spoke at length with him in response to his EBay listing, decided to take a chance, and when he lowered his buy it now price to what I wanted, I hit the buy it now button. Sent him $500 Paypal with the understanding that I needed to see the truck in person before finalizing the deal. Drove up to Duxbury MA a few days later and was pleasantly surprised to find the truck was better than I expected. Made the deal and became a diesel owner!
It has the 1HD-T engine. Had 91K miles on it when I bought it, I had Ryan do the connecting rod bearings last year as a precaution before making the Colorado trip. The bearings he removed were perfect- and the clearances with the original bearings was almost exactly the same as what the new bearings showed, did plasti-gauge on both original and replacements. I believe there was a minority of the 1HD-T engines that had inferior BEB and some of them went 100K miles but most guys, like myself, replace them as a precaution. It's cheap insurance compared to maybe needing a whole new crankshaft!

Just visited mendels garage and met Dennis who showed me their BJ73 (not BJ74). Their web advertisement is wrong. Engine is 3b and not 13bt. I liked size, condition and rhd was fine, but 3b was a let down.

I also let the Texas hzj73 slip away. Just couldn't commit with concerns of high mileage and worn out body.

I feel like I am speed dating >25 year old land cruisers. Need to commit and marry one!

20180802_124439.jpg

I feel like I am speed dating >25 year old land cruisers. Need to commit and marry one!

No need to rush into a purchase until you find that truck. Diesel Cruisers are pouring into the US, and are no longer unicorns. You’ll find one, just keep at it!

Have you checked Land Cruisers Direct? No expereince with them, but the owner is an active MUD member with a good rep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom