Remove California smog equipment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I buy a cruiser from California, do I need the smog equipment to pass inspection in PA. Am looking at fj60

I heard that any vehicle older than 25 years can be called antique in PA

I heard that any vehicle older than 25 years can be called antique in PA

And 15 for a classic. You will need to go through the steps as Brian mentioned to brand the title as classic or antique. That said, something of that vintage just gets a visual inspection. So if you are friendly with your inspection mechanic he might just say the hell with it and toss a sticker on.

And 15 for a classic. You will need to go through the steps as Brian mentioned to brand the title as classic or antique. That said, something of that vintage just gets a visual inspection. So if you are friendly with your inspection mechanic he might just say the hell with it and toss a sticker on.

or keep the milage under 5k a year.....forgot about that loophole......two instrument clusters help that matter.

Yes, under the 5k miles a year. But you must own it for a year to qualify for this. So either park it in a garage for a year or keep all the smog stuff for a year.

Also this may change by location. It applies to Lancaster.

Just got the antique plates for my 40 this month. I hated to give up my vanity plate- 76FJ40- but circumstances made going the antique route the best option. Since my truck last had an inspection sticker applied my "personal" inspection station closed its' doors. What an asset to lose for a guy with older vehicles………. but it happened. Now I need no annual inspection sticker. Since June of last year I put 1400 miles on the 40- pretty much making it a perfect candidate for an antique plate.

And the process was absolutely painless. No pictures required no proof of anything. While you can make the application for an antique (or classic) title online I elected to go the easy route. Took my title and registration and insurance cards to the local John Yurkonic agency office, fifteen minutes and $166 later my application was being sent to Harrisburg via courier. Got the new registration card in three weeks and the title arrived the following week. Painless.

Since my title was marked mileage unknown there is no way anyone in the legal system is gonna check on the mileage put on the truck annually. Frankly I can't imagine any law enforcement officer or government beaurocrat caring how much I drive my 40 with antique plates- as long as I drive responsibly and my truck is safe.

FYI the PennDOT website has good clear information about what an antique or classic plate means for the owner, and as I mentioned earlier, has provision for you to make the app online.

Just got the antique plates for my 40 this month. I hated to give up my vanity plate- 76FJ40- .

You can do vintage regular now too.
That at least gets rid of the cheesy antique plate...and allows a bi-centinal plate.

I drive my 40....alot... never had an issue with one of the mans men having an issue with how much road time it sees.

In PA you CAN get an antique tag AND vanity plate in one tag. BUT check on how many spaces (numerals, numbers, spaces and punctuation marks) are allowed, THAT can be a limitation.

I have several antique tags that are ALSO vanity plates, no more yearly inspection or registration. As I recall, the extra expense of obtaining such a tag makes a breakeven of about 4 years, from then on you save each year.

BUT I also wanted to convert a vanity plate to antique and was not able to due to the lesser number of spaces allowed with the antique tag (at that time, it may have changed).

Not sure about classic tag and vehicle situations.

Sorry is this is a dupe reply, my first attempt disappeared; likely operator error!

In PA you CAN get an antique plate and vanity plate all in one, I have several. BUT there is a limit to how many space you can get.

It costs more of course, but the breakeven was about 4 years when I did this about 3 years ago, so no more yearly registration or inspection!

I've only done it for motorcycles 'cause what I wanted for the vanity plates for my cars would not fit on an antique plate, see space limitation above.

I have no info re classic tags.

Sorry for the now seen dupe reply. I tried to delete it w/o success.

Ideas? Thanks

im trying to figure out why the text in one of my replies is two different sizes..

Yes, under the 5k miles a year. But you must own it for a year to qualify for this. So either park it in a garage for a year or keep all the smog stuff for a year.

Also this may change by location. It applies to Lancaster.

The law does read that you must own it for a year, but you don't need to prove it. Even if you bought it the day before, and you tell the inspecting mechanic you had it for a year they are required to take your word for it. It's a weird loophole, but it comes up in every recert test.

That's my experience. I have 10 cars and trucks that he works on, I'm pretty sure I pay for his mountain home, ha! Anyway, since he get's all that regular business, when I bring him my 40's or 1950 Dodge Pilothouse, he just drinks his coffee and tells the guy to put a sticker on it. Relationships.

One other thing you might want to do, you can use the same year plate as your vehicle that it was made. So on my 1950 Dodge, I have an original 1950 PA license plate. You can do this up until 1976 when they stopped stamping plates with the year.

One other thing you might want to do, you can use the same year plate as your vehicle that it was made. So on my 1950 Dodge, I have an original 1950 PA license plate. You can do this up until 1976 when they stopped stamping plates with the year.

i'am a fan of this plan, but fj60's do not meet the qualifications for vintage registration.

Am now looking at a hzj73 with 1hz turbo diesel engine. Are diesel engines exempt in PA from emissions?

careful which one you're looking at.
it's my understanding that they are not yet legal for importation legally yet.

edit
my mistake i was thinking of the 79s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom