Redesigned SPC UCA Bad Experiences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I just talked to a local shop who is both a Dobinsons and SPC dealer. I was pretty set on putting SPC UCAs on my LX470 but the shop told me that most of their clients have had their SPC UCAs fail after 1 year (This is with the most up to date SPC UCAs). Any experience with this? Their recommended UCA is the Dobinsons btw.

Thanks in advance!

My SPC had the BJs replaced after around 30k. SPC blamed it on #2 grease without moly (I did use this, but they claimed I didn't). I replaced the BJs and paid for another alignment, so far so good.

Would I buy them again? I don't know. Probably not.

Just Google it…..multiple documented catastrophic failures.

Not exactly "catastrophic" but I had mine fail where the ball joint locks into the star plate on a trail. The whole body of the ball joint did a 180 and resulted in crazy camber. They refused to warranty because of "installation error", though it was installed and torqued to spec.

I have SPC with no issues I purchased the later models they made some changes on their ball joints. Early models had ball joint failures.

Just Google it…..multiple documented catastrophic failures.
I've seen that. However, I'm asking specifically about the redesigned models. I've read that a lot of people have had positive experiences with these but this shop is saying the opposite.

I have the redesigned models. Same comments as @AlpineAccess . BJs went out pretty quick, I replaced. BJs would lose position regularly on trails. SPC's response was to add 50 more ft lbs of torque when installing.

They're cost effective, I guess. The serviceable BJ is handy. I don't know if I'd buy them again.

Dobinsons are hassle-free and have an OEM-spec replaceable ball joint. I ran SPCs for 6 years and had continual issues out of them that were similar to what @AlpineAccess and @MongooseGA described.

IMO most of the issues with the new design are overblown on the internet... As in they are a serviceable BJ that is going to fail quicker than the OEM design. To me this is like people that buy rebuildable monotube 2.5" RR shocks and then b*tch on here that X manufacturer sucks because their shocks needed to be rebuilt after 18-24 months. No sh*t... That's their life cycle.

Zero issues with mine. Zero issues with friends of mine. My buddy that owns a cruiser shop sees almost no issues with SPC UCAs and installs them in tons of trucks. I actually do over torque mine as Mongoose mentioned above, as SPC says it's fine iirc. We have tons of washboard here, no issues with alignment so far.

BTW... The above is not directly or indirectly refuting anything said above by other posters, all of whom are great contributors to the 100 sub. I don't want it to be read with any connotation that isn't intended. The above is my take on the general complaining you read about on the internet regarding the BJ's.

I have almost 60k miles on my SPCs. Lots of trails and no issues.

I also made a switch from the new SPC UCA's to the freedom UCA's which are basically the same as the Dobinsons.
I second this motion, i had two ball joints fail with SPC.
If you don't go off roading the SPC should hold up though!

Dobinsons are hassle-free and have an OEM-spec replaceable ball joint. I ran SPCs for 6 years and had continual issues out of them that were similar to what @AlpineAccess and @MongooseGA described.
If I have another ball joint or bushing issue I am switching to Dobinsons. I don't want to, but alignments aren't free and so are tires when the alignment is off.

I forgot to mention that I needed to replace the bushings on my SPCs at 40k. They did send me the bushings for free which are their new x-axis bushings, but the install took time and their adapter exploded in my press. I luckily was wearing safety glasses as one of the pieces hit me right in the lens.

Those of us with issues are likely not the norm, but when asked which product those with SPCs would go with (looking at my experience) I'd say that giving another brand a look isn't a bad idea.

The SPCs have their share of quirks and Dobinsons might too.

On SPC for a coupe yrs... many trails. No problem so far. Got them for the extra Camber/Castor adjustments

I’ve had my SPCs for a few years. Just installed my 3rd set of BJs!!! and went with the upgraded bushings they now offer ... idk why I don’t replace them with something else -I guess bc I like +4 caster with the height and weight of my 100, makes if feel planted on the highway ... Ymmv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom