Recommended wheels, want to go with some skinny tires.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tires - looking at BFG AT KO2s 34x10.5 or Cooper ST MAXX 255/80/17's (really wish they had a 255/85 but I digress). Not firm yet, open to other pizza-cutter options you might know about.

Do stock wheels play well with those tires? If NO, looking for wheel recommendations or wheel specs (how much negative offset/BS works best for our rigs), prefer to avoid spacers if possible. This is proving more time-consuming than I anticipated so asking the experts.

Heat-gun the fender plastic and the pinch-seam will need some massaging regardless.

thx!

Tires - looking at BFG AT KO2s 34x10.5 or Cooper ST MAXX 255/80/17's (really wish they had a 255/85 but I digress). Not firm yet, open to other pizza-cutter options you might know about.

Do stock wheels play well with those tires? If NO, looking for wheel recommendations or wheel specs (how much negative offset/BS works best for our rigs), prefer to avoid spacers if possible. This is proving more time-consuming than I anticipated so asking the experts.

Heat-gun the fender plastic and the pinch-seam will need some massaging regardless.

thx!

Factory wheel on a GX470 is 17x7, you won't find much skinnier than that in a 17" wheel, should work fine as far as holding the bead is concerned. I can't say as far as backspacing/offset though.

Factory wheel on a GX470 is 17x7, you won't find much skinnier than that in a 17" wheel, should work fine as far as holding the bead is concerned. I can't say as far as backspacing/offset though.

Thx - I didn't realize stock was that skinny a wheel. Missed that nugget, good to know (will need to verify those tires are OK with a 7" wheel later today).

I have the 34x10.50 on an 8.5" wheel and they are fine

Coopers and BFGs are OK with a 7" rim, no hurdle there for stock wheels.

@DanKunz - saw your combo here, thx for that link (you shared it on another tire/wheel post this week). I'd rather not buy wheels, would rather throw $$ elsewhere (at least for now).

Anyone running spacers with their stock wheels?

Surf the forums. I got my methods for $500.

I thought the factory GX wheel was 7.5"?

I hope this is true, finding posts elsewhere that confirm this but nothing direct from Lexus/Toyota (yet). 7" is at the bottom of the wheel-width range for those KO2's so the extra 1/2" would make me a bit more comfortable. thx for the note!

Methods for $500 sounds good. Used I'm guessing? Hopefully my 285/75R17 Copper STT Pro arrive today at America's Tire, but they are going onto stock wheels for now. They agreed to swap them out no charge if I decide to go with new wheels later. Minimum spec was 7.5" for these tires so hopefully the extra pucker won't make rubbing even worse.

I hope this is true, finding posts elsewhere that confirm this but nothing direct from Lexus/Toyota (yet). 7" is at the bottom of the wheel-width range for those KO2's so the extra 1/2" would make me a bit more comfortable. thx for the note!

Check the link above. They are indeed 7" wide and 20mm offset. Lots of BS information on the web.

Hey IanB. I'm also from Winnipeg but have lived in Los Angeles most of the last few years. I'll be back up in Winnipeg next week for three weeks to go deer hunting and take care of some business up there. But I'll be driving up with my GX late January and will be staying through until next winter. We should definitely meet up to do some wheeling. Sorry about getting OT.

GX and 4Runner wheels are 17x7, FJ Cruiser is 17x7.5 I believe.

Backspacing from stock is usually an issue with wider tires, skinnier I would think
Hey IanB. I'm also from Winnipeg but have lived in Los Angeles most of the last few years. I'll be back up in Winnipeg next week for three weeks to go deer hunting and take care of some business up there. But I'll be driving up with my GX late January and will be staying through until next winter. We should definitely meet up to do some wheeling. Sorry about getting OT.

Hit me up when you're in town, I'm not from WPG but have been living here for about 17 years now. Maybe you can show me some new spots to wheel, lol!

Wheel-size.com says the GX has 7.5" wheels.

FJ offset is 10mm less, so the wheels are spaced out just a little more.

I'm thinking about FJ wheels with a 255/80R17- anyone have pics of that?

I'll measure mine when they are getting tires fitted hopefully today or tomorrow. Waiting for the tire shop to call to say they have arrived.

By the way @JLee I read a post where you said that the 255/75R17 will not fit in the spare tire location of a GX470 with KDSS. Is that from personal experience? My plan is to use a 255/75R17 as my spare. I understood it fit, especially if you partially deflate.

Hit me up when you're in town, I'm not from WPG but have been living here for about 17 years now. Maybe you can show me some new spots to wheel, lol!

I'm 48 and lived there my whole life until 2010. Grew up in the city and spent 20 years living out by Anola. I hunt, fish, camp so know every nook and cranny from Sioux Lookout, Ontario to Saskatoon. ;) I also ran a variety of trucks and ATV's and was a member of some 4wheeler clubs.

I did some more looking and I'm going to have to agree.

FYI guys I now have definitive prof the a 255/75R17 WILL FIT into the spare location with KDSS and also a trailer hitch. Without KDSS you can fit it easily and even as much as a 285. I have pictures to prove it now. I have the integrated hitch mount so will be fine.

FYI guys I now have definitive prof the a 255/75R17 WILL FIT into the spare location with KDSS and also a trailer hitch. Without KDSS you can fit it easily and even as much as a 285. I have pictures to prove it now. I have the integrated hitch mount so will be fine.

I'm curious if it'll also fit with the tube frame-mounted hitch...I didn't have any luck, but I gave up in the Discount Tire parking lot and just threw it in the back, lol.

This has been helpful guys. Eyeballing craigslist and elsewhere for some FJ wheels as I do like those better but low on my priority radar for now. Hoping I can hold out until Thanksgiving to see if there are any specials for tires coming up - those darn things are pricey :).

If of interest, the larger diameter BFG's are 56#'s each (34") whereas the slightly smaller Cooper's are 58#'s each (32.8"). Lower rotational mass is lower rotational mass and with a slightly bigger diameter to boot, I think I'm sold on the KO2's.

I'm curious if it'll also fit with the tube frame-mounted hitch...I didn't have any luck, but I gave up in the Discount Tire parking lot and just threw it in the back, lol.

Yes it will. There is a guy on the a GXOR Facebook page who put up pictures. He had to push it up to one side and has about 1" away from the sway bar. To get it to drop again, he stick the tire iron through his hitch hole to pry the tire a bit. No big deal and what are the chances you'll even need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom