Recommended tire pressure for KO2 LT285/75/16 116/113R load range C? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I just put on a new set of BF Goodrich KO2 LT285/75/16 116/113R load range C on my 80. Does anybody know the recommended cold tire pressure for use in an 80? It says on the sidewall max load of 2755 lbs @ 50 psi cold. I previously had Cooper Discoverer STT load range D LT285/75/16 and was advised by a fellow from the 200 section that the recommended pressure was 38 psi. That tire had a max load of 3305 lbs @ 65 psi cold. Thanks in advance!

EE271DCC-421B-4D0F-834D-AF3D6F1D70F8.jpeg

4883A722-C38E-45DF-AB9C-7BE5C6E89906.jpeg

As long as they’re not severely under/over inflated, there’s no “correct” psi. I prefer 38 for no particularly good reason.

I run 'em with 50 PSI on tarmac.

My KO2 in 315/75 have a higher load rating. I run my tires at the recommended 32 or whatever is on the door jam. I have gotten extremely even tire wear as well luckily. When I go and get the tires rotated the guys can't believe my tire wear for having almost 10K miles on my KO2.

I think you guys may be under-inflated at 32 psi on tarmac. The 32 psi recommendation on the door jamb sticker is for the stock P-metric tire. LT-metric tires require higher cold tire inflation pressures...

My KO2 in 315/75 have a higher load rating. I run my tires at the recommended 32 or whatever is on the door jam. I have gotten extremely even tire wear as well luckily. When I go and get the tires rotated the guys can't believe my tire wear for having almost 10K miles on my KO2.

I’ve experienced the same thing at the 32 psi I normally run.

Last edited:
I run 38 on mine

Do the chalk test if you're concerned about getting the best tread life out of them. Most people over-inflate them so the center of the tread will wear prematurely.

If you don't care about max tread life, then just let the air out until you like the way it rides/handles. I find somehere in the 32-33 ballpark is ideal for me (e-rated 315s). I pump them up to about 40-42 when towing the camper, and air them down to about 16 off road.

@gaijin we need your input, I hope you can enlighten us...

@gaijin we need your input, I hope you can enlighten us...

I only do recommendations for 200 Series, but I can tell you that there is a lot of very bad info in this thread.

If you want to correctly determine the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for tires on your 80 Series, you can easily do it by reading the publication by Toyo Tires about just this question - available here: Toyo Guide to Load and Inflation Tables

I have detailed my methodology several times so I'm not going to do it all again here, but basically you need to follow these steps:

1. Determine the tire type and RCTIP for the tires supplied on your vehicle OEM by Toyota
2. Look up the Load Limit for those tires using the RCTIP found on the Tire Information Placard found on the door jamb
3. If the new tire is the same type as OEM (e.g. P-Metric OEM and P-Metric substitute) just look the new tire up in the tables and find the pressure that yields the same Load Limit.
4. If the new tire is not the same type as OEM (e.g. P-Metric OEM and LT-Metric substitute) divide the OEM Load Limit by 1.1 to determine the required Load Limit for an LT-Metric tire.
5. Look up in the tables for LT-Metric tire the pressure that yields the required LT-Metric Load Limit
6. ISO-Metric tires have their own tables and use Load Index to determine required inflation
7. Flotation tires also have their own tables.

It's science, and it works. A "Chalk Test" is the easiest way to get yourself in trouble - unless, of course, you are the design engineer for the tire in question and have a detailed knowledge of the desired tire footprint for the required tire Load Limit for the vehicle in question (Hint: nobody knows this).

HTH

Yesterday I went to the trail and the drive up was about 70km. Tires were aired up to 38psi and when I got there I aired down to 28psi. On the way home I had to drive back about 40km @ 28psi and I noticed that the tire temps were getting hot (I have an aftermarket TPMS). Tires reached 44 deg C. When we finally got to a gas station and aired up, temp went down by 10 deg C and stayed cool until we got home. So yes, running a lower pressure than normal really does pose a danger. I believe you guys running the load range E with max load @ 80 psi are way under-inflated at 32psi. We need to find somebody good at math to help us determine the correct pressure for our tires

3DCA2515-4353-4F3D-8A7E-B596242C3E19.jpeg

00159DA5-0A52-43B4-AAA1-105C23333689.jpeg

082885D6-30B4-47E1-AB44-65156CD464AD.jpeg

08B7EF89-CFDF-468E-B3A4-A485FFE41205.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom