Recall! Harbor Freight Jack Stands

$46 for delivered double locking 6 tons is a good price. The pic does make it look like the base is pretty thin metal, though. How thick is it, if you know?
The steel of the base is slightly less than 1/8" thick on the Pro Lift T-6906D (lighter grey color in photos). At the neck the metal is approx 3/16" thick. On both measurments, it looks to be slightly thicker than the HF model. The Pro Lift is ~8.4 lbs for the base (this number excludes the weight of the locking pin) and 4.75 lbs for the stem. The HF model is 8lbs for the base and 4lbs for the stem. The stem on the PL contains 11 height adjustment points to the HF's 13 adjustment points. There appears to be an 2 additional 1/4" reinforcement bracket welded onto the PL's neck where the locking pin engages.

I realize this is OT to the original purpose of the thread, but I was looking to offer an alternative that I am happy with. Perhaps other people may appreciate this. I am not seeking to convey anything more than this seem to be a viable working alternative to the HF model. I offer no warranty or guarantee of the product beyond the facts conveyed here.

20200602_184208.jpg
20200602_180911.jpg
20200602_183101.jpg
20200602_181209.jpg

Last edited:

e9999

You want to do what...?

thanks for checking. Interesting. Yours does sound a bit sturdier than the HF. I'm surprised at how shallow the teeth are on the HF. That would have concerned me a bit. I recall the teeth profiles on my 12 tons as being much deeper.
As to the "Shinn Fu" company, it looks like it's from Taiwan, not a bad thing, they make good stuff in Taiwan. Although, who knows, maybe nowadays they are also outsourcing. Interestingly, besides Hein-Warner, it also owns the Pro-lift line, also mentioned above.

thanks for checking. Interesting. Yours does sound a bit sturdier than the HF. I'm surprised at how shallow the teeth are on the HF. That would have concerned me a bit. I recall the teeth profiles on my 12 tons as being much deeper.
As to the "Shinn Fu" company, it looks like it's from Taiwan, not a bad thing, they make good stuff in Taiwan. Although, who knows, maybe nowadays they are also outsourcing. Interestingly, besides Hein-Warner, it also owns the Pro-lift line, also mentioned above.
I used to keep the floor jack fully engaged even when I had the jack stands in place. The HF item is a terrible, terrible design. Thankfully I now know, I have returned them and I am unharmed.

I am glad that you were able to find another option. Unfortunately, you haven't offered any model number for the floor jacks that you bought. I was seeking to provide an option for people who need replacements for the recalled HF model to work on their Cruiser. As you said, the model I posted will work well enough. I don't work on anything bigger than my 100 so I wouldn't need something that is heavier to hold more weight.

Given that the HF jack stands are about the same price as these, I doubt it will be possible to buy new for much less. After the HF recall, my biggest requirement for purchase was a locking pin. I was willing to pay more, but many of the $200 American made jack stands still didn't offer a locking pin. As a result, I went with the above linked jacks. I would do so again if I was still looking. I have no doubt that they will safely hold my 7500lb 100 and thanks to the locking pin will never collapse.
43720DEF-B206-4340-A9E8-D920552517CF.jpeg

In front of 33x10.50 and behind 2 ton stands.

728E1813-37EC-406F-A8D6-D6B5531CB70F.jpeg

Beside my 20+ year old 2.5 ton jack.

6997B97F-4A48-4193-8BD7-C1630725C21F.jpeg

I’ve used the 2 ton for the 40 for years without problems.
For my newer rig, they’re not sufficient. It’s 9k+ empty... 6k on the rear axles & 3 over the front. Based on what the spring shop said the drivers side is 700 lbs heavier (+/- 3400 lbs).

dogdaysindurham

SILVER Star

I have a pair of 12 ton HF jack stands and they are quite beefy. The only thing they are missing is the secondary locking pin. My other pair from Torin have the locking pin. I feel pretty safe under them while wrenching on my 100 series.
AA0A54E8-4E18-4F51-9EA5-6EC7D1E67A4F.png

But it looks like Torin stopped making the 12T with locking pin but strongway now does.

as an update and thanks to this thread, I returned by "under recall" HF jack stands. Their red 6 ton jack stands are not part of the recall and I used the store gift card on the return to get these with a 20% store discount. I put my wife's SUV up on them (its an LR4 so comparable in weight to the LC) and it felt sturdy and stable. However, I am probably also going to use the rhino ramps I have under the wheels for additional safety.

UPDATE: THE REPLACEMENTS ARE F’ING BAD TOO

for anything your life depends on don’t buy harbor freight.
8DF17231-1F42-488B-9A8E-C43BE483A903.jpeg

Top Bottom