Rear Wiper neccessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been playing with the idea of removing the rear wiper and plugging the hole. I'd still keep the wires in the event I wanted to power something. Has anybody ever had a genuine need for a rear wiper that I should take into account?

Good to have when trying to back into the garage or a parking space after a wet drive.

My rear wiper is not working so I've been keeping the rear window glass clean and wiped down with Rain-X which along with the wind deflector blowing the rain water off it hasn't been a problem, FWIW. Don't drive in snow or muddy conditions much so can't comment on those.

Been 2 years with broken rear wiper.

I would like to fix it but I am sure I never will...sure miss it though.

I couldn't imagine making a trip through the snow or backing up on a raining night without out mine. I Rain-X all my glass but still use it on a regular basis when it rains while driving at night.

I've seen fender flares, racks, third row seats, bumpers, wheels, and engines removed. Even perfect paint get rhino lined. Seems to be personal preference on all these things and pros and cons for keeping them.

I don't encounter mud or snow. So the rear wiper delete would just keep a cleaner look.

Thanks for everyone's input on the rear wiper.

Last edited:
Have no idea if mine works, did last time I tried, but that was years ago. If I were refinishing the hatch, would delete it.:meh:

I never use mine , last time I looked at it the the rubber squeegee part of the blade was gone .
Ive driven so many vans and trucks that I never use the inside rearview mirror anymore as its useless in my work trucks as the rear window is blocked and its what I drive the most miles in

I've been playing with the idea of removing the rear wiper and plugging the hole. I'd still keep the wires in the event I wanted to power something. Has anybody ever had a genuine need for a rear wiper that I should take into account?

@SUUEEET ,did you ever remove your rear wiper and if so, what did you plug the hole with?

The only reason I ever use mine is to show it off to anyone behind me.. Wow, 19 years old and it still works.. Other than that, I never look over my shoulder to back up,, just the side mirrors, so if it ever quits working I'll remove it and plug the hole with a rubber grommet of somekind..

Don't use the rear wiper - usually to much dirt/grit on the window if doing much off-road. Double swing outs,with tire, MaxTraxs, shovel, chainsaw, etc, not a very good view. Have thought about removing it.

With the spare on a swing out and the ladder on the other side it's next to useless. Haven't used it in a very long time.

I use mine quite a bit in the dirt and snow. Because I can. Sure I could live without it, most people have, since like the '20s.

:lol:

Note 1: If you have the rear deflector, probably not needed as much to clear the window.
Note 2: If your PO broke the squirter to crap and wiper and have a poverty package 80 without the rear deflector it becomes pretty damn dirty in hurry.... to the point of lack of visibility. :facepalm:

So aside from annoyance and trying to keep it clean occasionally I dont have a rear wiper or squirter. :doh:

Was driving today in street traffic during a heavy downpour. Between the intense volume of rain and not traveling fast enough for the wind deflector to blow the water off the rear hatch window I had to use the rear wiper so I could better see what was coming up behind me. FWIW.

Like the famous quote from the Gumball Rally, Raul Julia's judgment on the rear view mirror, "What's behind me is not important". Same with the wiper.

I had it for long time, lived with it broken long time and have had some time with it again.
It was worth fixing. I learned how it works and how to fix it too. I "more smarter' now.

No deflector or rear obstruction toys . Rear defroster doesn't work.

Last edited:
I like to know if someone's about to run up my arse end so I can either get out of the way or brace for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom