Rear wheel bearing service interval (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and I can't find the service interval for the rear wheel bearings and seals. Why wouldn't they be the same 15k interval as the front?

I'm not saying the intervals shouldn't be the same, but they're different designs. The front caliper is dual piston, the rear is single piston, the brake bias isn't equal, front to rear, weight distribution isn't either (which is why the bias is different), etc.

There's no reason not to check them all, every other oil change, or any other interval you like which reminds you to check them regularly. There's no magic to the service intervals. The designers calculate wear based on service life assumptions (mileage, driving style, etc.) and recommend inspections at (usually) 1/4 and 1/2 life.

Don't quote me on this but I believe the interval is 30k on the rear wheel bearings. For reference, I have packed mine once since i've had it and I've put about 80k miles on it (165k total). When I took it apart, the seals had failed and the bearings were basically running in 90w gear lube. That being said, the bearings and races were fine. I cleaned everything and repacked the bearings. It's been fine since.

I guess this isn't as big of a job as the front end. I'll just put it on my list since I don't know when it was done last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom