Rear Wheel Bearing Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After pulling my rear axles on my 1974 FJ40 I can not figure out on how to replace the actual bearings. There appears to be a race holding the bearing in place but after doing some research it would appear that this is not a removable race and is built into the axle housing. Also, with the kit I ordered from SOR to complete this job, the bearings didn't come with races. How in the hell do you get the bearings out of the axle housing? Am I wrong and this is actually a race? If so any tips on how to get the race out (it is really really in there)? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

That collar presses on to retain bearing, you will need a press or a machine shop trip. IIRC you reuse the collars.

IIRC, it is not a race, but a stop for the bearing. You either need a long enough slide hammer to pull the old bearings out, or if take out the 3rd member you can drive them out from the opposite side with a long rod. Don't forget to put new oil seals in while you're there.

For the outer bearing race, it is pressed into the housing. You can get it out with a slide hammer or a puller, but the EZ way to get it out is to weld a bead on the inside of the race and when it cools ant the welded metal shrinks, the race will fall out.

I would do the slide hammer option first--unless you are a really accomplished welder, you risk damaging the race seating area. Another option is ice cubes in the race and heat on the seating area--you might even be able to use a CO2 fire extinguisher to cool the race enough to get it to fall out(dry ice in the race might work too)--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom