Rear tray for my rusty '86 pickup (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If they have belts, I'm sure it's fine. I'm mean I had a 40 and I used to take my bros all the time in the jump seats. Same thing no?

Started cleaning tha chassis. Took te tank off. Surprised to see nice solid metal beneath the thin layer of surface rust. A couple coats of chassis saver will do this thing some proper justice. Couple pics.
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG

And slowly making progress. All the small parts I take off the truck I media blast and give them a fresh coat of paint. This was rusty beyond belief, you can tell from the dimples is the metal.

IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG

Also, the front section of the chassis has rubber plugs on and it looks as though it's a little better preserved than the rear section is. Will post some pics of that as well.

Ultimately, I think this is what I want. A light camping rig with a RTT and military canvas on the back tray. Will be used for local camping in and around the Catskills.

IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG

Some test paint. This will be a "looks good from 10'away, rattle can job".
IMG_0870.JPG

Looks good from afar, but its just a rattle can job. I however, like it!!!

Nice work! I love to see people cleaning up trucks like that.

u give me a couple more days and you shall see this beaut in half it's prime again, ha!

I'm not even touching those, I think I went overboard with this. All I wanted was to clean the chassis and paint it to protect it. I have now finished coating the interior of it and will do the chassis saver over the weekend. After that she's going right back on the road. I just need to clean and paint the tank and the skid plates and then reinstall the tray which will also need cleaning and painting. Crap, there's still lots to do.

Bring on the updates.

Fuel tank is surprisingly clean. The fuel pickup pipes were corroded. They need to be replaced, that explains my leak. Otherwise, the inside is like new.
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG

Fuel pickup, broken tubes. The sender is reusable, will media blast and paint. Trying to source a new fuel pickup.
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG

Fuel pickup on the way thanks to @beno
Fella is a lifesaver.
Magnetic paint arriving Wednesday. I can see this being put back together by the weekend. All I have to do is paint chassis and skid plates plus tank then wait a day and the reassemble. Phew, finally!

Some frame progress. I will thin out some of the chassis saver and spray the hard to reach areas with a spray bottle. Everything turned out ok so far. One coat took 4 hrs to apply!! Wtf!
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom