Rear hatch lock cylinder fell in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi! I'm a regular on Mud, but I don't come to this group very often. I got my daughter a 99 4runner a few years ago and it's been great. This weekend she put the key in the hatch lock and it just fell into the door. It's not rusted out. The hatch window also doesn't go up and down. Any tips as I tear into it?

Well, there's your problem! For anyone else, make sure you have a few body mount retainers n hand. This plastic is old and brittle. There's one bolt that holds the plastic on.
1487439736688-884173697.jpg

I'll just clean that up with a Dremel and replace with some quicksteel.

As for the window, any tips on what to grease or what kind of lube to use? I'm guessing it's just dry.

It's like singing in church after the music stopped in here!

The quick steel looks like it's going to work. That whole plastic piece is brittle and busted up. I think the next step is to replace that whole thing and try again. The door lever is a little sketchy too. You have to squeeze it instead of just lifting it because the plastic is broken. I wonder if there's a more rugged solution for that panel?

For the window I applied fluid film in the runs and on anything that looked like it had friction. It goes up and down much faster now. But using the dash button is a no go. The relay just clicks. I think it needs a new rear window relay.

A picture of the inside of the hatch for reference.

20170218_132452.jpg

I just bought my son a 2000 limited. Same problem with the key cylinder. We also have an issue with the rear hatch latch not latching. We took it all apart and sprayed everything down with WD40 and Penetrating oil. Doing that we noticed the actual disc with a tooth that is moved by the cable seems bent. Does anyone have a picture of what this should look like in order to operate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom