Rear Disc Brakes... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet! And nice writeup, Steve.

Nope. But someone makes a weld-on bracket.

Ed

AA-MFG.com makes weld on brackets, put the caliper anywhere you want and they cost me around $12

Looks good Steve thanks, did you have to mill out the center of the rotor to fit over the axle end? I might be wrong but I think I remember you had some of those rotors already to go.

Howdy! Great thread. I picked up my brackets a while back, but I still need to snag the calipers. They are from about any 70's full size sedan, right?? I hope to slip in a fresh set of poly axle rods while I am in there. John

Manually adjustable proportioning valve mounted and plumbed....
prop01.jpg
prop02.jpg
prop03.jpg

Poser, what booster was used on this conversion??...also are those rotors and calipers Monte Carlo???..I'm assuming I can stop by autozone or napa and get them....thanks...just getting prepared a rear disc brake conversion...R

Pardon my ignert qweshun, but are you having these conversion kits made up and are selling them?

Looks good Steve thanks, did you have to mill out the center of the rotor to fit over the axle end? I might be wrong but I think I remember you had some of those rotors already to go.

Thank you. Yes, the centers of the rotors are opened up to 4.20 on my Lathe.

I do have rotors that have the centers machined out and ready to go.

Howdy! Great thread. I picked up my brackets a while back, but I still need to snag the calipers. They are from about any 70's full size sedan, right?? I hope to slip in a fresh set of poly axle rods while I am in there. John

Calipers are not from a full-size Chevrolet; they are the smaller caliper, or commonly referred to as the ‘metric’ caliper, found on the 80’s Monte Carlo. There are many threads in the F A Q <---- this is a link with the part numbers for the caliper and other pieces you will need to do this conversion.

Poser, what booster was used on this conversion??...also are those rotors and calipers Monte Carlo???..I'm assuming I can stop by autozone or napa and get them....thanks...just getting prepared a rear disc brake conversion...R

It is a drum brake booster, with a disc brake master cylinder on it.

The calipers are from a Monte Carlo, but the rotors are from a GM pickup. Again, there are parts lists in the many threads in the FAQ and Tech Links.

:beer:

Pardon my ignert qweshun, but are you having these conversion kits made up and are selling them?

No ignorant questions Brain man.....

I sell caliper brackets, and machined and ready to go rotors. I can also supply other little pieces if folks need them; Tombstone mounting tabs, brake hoses, brake hose clips, etc.

I do not sell a ‘kit’ as there are variables with this, just like anything having to do with a custom modification to any vehicle, and as soon as I would put together a kit, someone would not want one or more pieces in the kit, and I would be right back to where I am now, just selling caliper brackets and rotors. :)

i almost have your 40 set up mounted to my 60 axle steve :D
some 3/4" spacers and some welding.

this makes the 40 that much closer to being on the trail.

e brake question

Poser, What is your solution to a disk conversion for a bj 42 with the e- brake on the rear drums?? I want to replace my drums when the brakes need new shoes and still keep my stock e brake handle . Thanks Tim

Poser, What is your solution to a disk conversion for a bj 42 with the e- brake on the rear drums??

I do not have one, as I do not make caliper brackets for the later-model axle.

Poser how much for the items below???..this would fit great on my rear axle conversion...thanks...Roger
If your thinking of getting the brackets and rotors from Poser...
DO IT!! Every thing comes clean and ready to bolt on, with supplied bolts!. Here is mine when it first arrived.

brake_brackets.jpg

Hi, do you have rear brackets to 1980-84` FJ40?...

Regards.

I'm happy to take this opportunity to put in a plug for Poser. I bought the brackets and the rotors for the rear, and I also bought some outer axles for the front. I am happy with my purchases. Poser has been, and continues to be, a big help to me as I work through my disc conversion.

Keeping it tech, I am concerned about getting the correct rear calipers. Can someone please post up the part number for the calipers that fit the Poser brackets? I saw them somewhere once, but I can't find them.

Edit: I found it. Part numbers (A1 Cardone) 18-4071 and 18-4072.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom