Rear Disc Brakes... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did it on my fronts on the 45 many years ago, but don’t remember the Dorman PN I ended up with.

For years I’ve had people tell me about doing Google searches on MUD, but it sounded too techy for me. Yesterday I noticed in the Advanced Search feature that Google search is now an option! I typed in “longer wheel studs” and got 10 pages of hits! Really cool. 😉

Finishing up my resto and my factory wheel studs are very short with this conversion and factory steelies. Anyone switch out wheel studs??

This was a while ago for me too but my resto spreadsheet says I used NOE 6411620.

I think that’s a Napa part number but maybe you can cross reference it? In either case I’m running FJ60 knuckles/hubs, and Steelies, and they are perfect.

Google search pulls up M12x1.5x37mm stud for Toyota/Lexus so sounds like it should potentially work?

Hello Steve. I tried sending you a PM but it wouldn’t let me. (Perhaps I haven’t posted enough times as a new member for that privilege yet?) I also tried calling the phone # on your website. I am interested in purchasing your brackets and rotors for the rear conversion. Can you reach out to me please. Thank you so much!

My truck is a ‘78 and came with the rear disc conversion using Monte Carlo calipers. The calipers are mounted on rear, but the pads stick off the outside of the rotors just a bit, maybe 1/2”. Do I have the wrong rotors? does anyone have year/make/model or part number for the correct rotors to use?

My truck is a ‘78 and came with the rear disc conversion using Monte Carlo calipers. The calipers are mounted on rear, but the pads stick off the outside of the rotors just a bit, maybe 1/2”. Do I have the wrong rotors? does anyone have year/make/model or part number for the correct rotors to use?
Can you post some pictures to show what is happening? My first thought is the mounting brackets are not correct. Mine is like that, cheap knock off brackets that were not well designed. Mine allow the pads to stick out about 1/8th inch beyond the rotors.

Can you post some pictures to show what is happening? My first thought is the mounting brackets are not correct. Mine is like that, cheap knock off brackets that were not well designed. Mine allow the pads to stick out about 1/8th inch beyond the rotors.
Here you go. The brackets have a little play in them as well.

A8F38949-BD03-42B1-AEC4-9F63A0C02AAF.jpeg

E8340D3C-766E-4215-B0C1-1337112ADA36.jpeg

DE1D5590-9FB3-4577-82F6-8274C15C1406.jpeg

And yea definitely not a 1/2”. Mine prob closer to 1/8” or maybe 1/4”.

That is just what mine does. Sits kind of far out from the rotor hat. Notice how much space there is from the rotor to the caliper pins. I tried putting a pad against the rotor and touching the hat and it went all the way to the edge of the rotor. It's a tight fit to begin with. I gave up messing with mine, wasn't worth the effort.

ok cool thanks. Good to hear someone else had this issue and know that it's not a big deal. I do realize these are back brakes, and not fronts, so less important. It'll just wear the pads unevenly, but that's ok. I do wonder though if someone makes newer adapter brackets that fit better. These were probably put on 15+ years ago when these kits were first developed.

Is it ok/ normal for the brake line to be rubbing against the axle? I am installing a kit and I'm having a hard time installing the brake lines. I feel like they shouldn't be touching the axle. (I stole this picture from someone else's post).
View attachment 3015711
I would say definitely not. There are wire wraps that came go around the hose for protection.

Use a die grinder or similar to remove the ridge next to the fitting. That will allow you to rotate the fitting out and clear the axle. I rotated mine 90 degrees, but you might not need to go that far.

View attachment 3016095

^^^ This is the correct answer! You definitely don't want it rubbing the axle. The protective wrap will only protect for so long before it wears through, and brake parts aren't something I want any risk of abrasion on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom