Rear bumper design/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What does everyone think about this possible tail light/quarter guard? A bit mad max, but I think it fits. Maybe even incorporate some kind of storage solution into that quarter panel space??

TP3.jpg

TP2.jpg

TP1.jpg

Mad Max are not, that looks awesome!

My only concern would be the height of the extra side protection and that it anchors to a long flat piece. Seems like a bump on the top corner would push in fairly easily. Keep in mind this comes from someone who isn't skilled enought to grind your welds.

Nice bumper! Just a thought, have you thought of "ramping" the sides down to the main bumper so it's a little less "boxy" looking? (See line on picture below) Not sure, but just thinking it might fit the lines of the cruiser a little better. Don't get me wrong though, it already looks awesome.

BTW, how do you like your YETI cooler? I've been thinking of getting one but not sure if they are really worth the $$$ or not...
rear bumper.jpg

Quarter panel bars have never been my cup of tea, but then again, I don't do stuff that serious to need them.

Your design of them does flow and fit well with the rest of the bumper though.

The slope cut on the corner is an interesting idea, not sure I have seen one like that.

What does everyone think about this possible tail light/quarter guard? A bit mad max, but I think it fits. Maybe even incorporate some kind of storage solution into that quarter panel space??

TP3.jpg

TP2.jpg

TP1.jpg

Cosmetically I like it, functionally I dont think your applying strength in the areas you ll need it most.

If you end up using them to protect the vehicle, it will most likely be used to help slide around an obstacle like a branch, tree or rock. The force will want to push the bar towards the body obviously and having the plate near the tail light in the direction it is in you wont be getting strength in the way you need it most. Though it is hard to do with the limited space you have.

Ultimately it looks good, but Im suspect of its ability to perform as protection, too much leverage on a long piece of metal.

Maybe add a second lower bar and attach it again near the corner.

If your not planning on banging into rocks and large trees for whatever type of wheeling you do then its probably good. Hard to tell with the top end work of body armour and then big michelins how you plan to use it.

:cheers:

The quarter guard is a good idea. I could have used them a few times. The rear quarters are kinda vulnerable in the tight trees.

MYSHERPA said:
Nice bumper! Just a thought, have you thought of "ramping" the sides down to the main bumper so it's a little less "boxy" looking? (See line on picture below) Not sure, but just thinking it might fit the lines of the cruiser a little better. Don't get me wrong though, it already looks awesome.

BTW, how do you like your YETI cooler? I've been thinking of getting one but not sure if they are really worth the $$$ or not...

I have had that YETI cooler for several years and it is GREAT! YES it's really worth the $$$..

Build NOT Bought

I go to say that is one sweet bumper!!!!! You guy's better take your vitamins,stay healthy please, don't you dare get sick :hillbilly: in the last few months got some new tires for my 96 LC winch ready BFG"S 33-ARB deluxe bumper and my INTI is coming an a few days...so yeah I'll be saving my pennies.Also the auxiliary fuel tank...it sounds like music to my ears.WOW here it goes backwards too WOW.Seriously guys Awesome craftsmanship :clap:

UMMAGUMMA said:
I go to say that is one sweet bumper!!!!! You guy's better take your vitamins,stay healthy please, don't you dare get sick :hillbilly: in the last few months got some new tires for my 96 LC winch ready BFG"S 33-ARB deluxe bumper and my INTI is coming an a few days...so yeah I'll be saving my pennies.Also the auxiliary fuel tank...it sounds like music to my ears.WOW here it goes backwards too WOW.Seriously guys Awesome craftsmanship :clap:

Thanks!!

YES it's pretty exciting, there are lots of cool things in the works at the moment. Stay tuned!

Wow I was feeling good about my rear bumper project till I saw this. Great job.

While daydreaming at work I had a thought.

There are getting to be lots of options / versions / suggestions. I want some combination of them on my truck, and we'll work on that.

Would it be easier and cheaper to have one single design of the basic bumper shell for just being wide enough to look good on a cruiser with fender flares and still not being too wide for flareless rigs that you could then option out the side hoops, plain sides, quarter panel bars, whatever you think of next onto?

Having your own shop it may not matter as much for production costs, but might make it easier to build the same base each time.

While daydreaming at work I had a thought.

There are getting to be lots of options / versions / suggestions. I want some combination of them on my truck, and we'll work on that.

Would it be easier and cheaper to have one single design of the basic bumper shell for just being wide enough to look good on a cruiser with fender flares and still not being too wide for flareless rigs that you could then option out the side hoops, plain sides, quarter panel bars, whatever you think of next onto?

Having your own shop it may not matter as much for production costs, but might make it easier to build the same base each time.

The final design is still somewhat up in the air, I suppose. The bumper will probably continue to evolve throughout the builds. At least until I lock myself out of the model... :D

Different widths are easy enough to do, and I think there is enough difference between a fender-flared 80 and a flareless 80 to warrant different widths. ARB makes a front bumper just for the flare-less 80's for the same reason.

So far, the biggest hurdle in this build is waiting on hardware! Soon as that starts flowing in, we'll be making more progress.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Our goal here is to make something unique/fuctional, and at the absolute highest quality. MANY many hours have been spent so far, trying to achieve that goal.

This bumper is really just the beginning. We've got a lot more unique ideas that are being worked on behind the scenes.

Yeah, I figure a lot of the issues go away when you are working for yourself with the blank steel.

Didn't know that about the ARB, I have a normal ARB on the front without flares, and it does protrude out a bit. I thought about adding little bars from the existing lower bar curved back/in to the rear of the wing just to fill in the space and make it a little different.

I think there are several anxious folks watching this.

Yet another option that you probably have already thought of is to swap out the signal lights for aux reverse lights, especially for any bumper without arms.

tim.korn.99 said:
This bumper is really just the beginning. We've got a lot more unique ideas that are being worked on behind the scenes.

How about a high clearance, minimalistic, unobtrusive front bumper with an internal winch mount, two d ring tabs, for a flare less PP80, that incorporates drier protection? (the latter, the least important, since I'm not opposed to relocating).

I'll be the guinea pig. Paying guinea pig, at that.

Then, simply because I'd love to keep the business local and keep the overall, inherent fabrication style consistent, under carriage protection (diffs, tcase, elocker, shock mounts) and sliders.

Oh, and a sunroof delete kit.

Wow, very nice design and awesome welding work you guys! I will be keeping my eyes on your progress as I move closer to pulling the trigger on a rear bumper.

With all the s*** products nowadays from overseas that doesn't last, it's great to see people who can dream, design, and fabricate a top notch quality product at home. I wish you guys all the best :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom