Rear brake cylinder installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Can someone confirm I'm an idiot?

I'm putting new brake wheel cylinders on my 75' RHD FJ45.

I bled the hell outa these things and still can't get em' to work properly. Went to adjust the rears again and noticed both adjusters were on the bottom. See picture...

Can someone confirm that one adjuster should be on the top and one on the bottom? I'm 99.9% sure that's my issue at this point. If so what a dumb mistake...

If I did in fact install the brake wheel cylinders incorrectly (both adjusters on the bottom rather than one on the bottom one on the top) does it matter if the adjuster towards the front of the truck is on the top or bottom? And likewise does it matter if the adjuster towards the back of the truck is on the top or bottom or do they just have to be diagonal from each other?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8710.JPG

Last edited:
HA! Yes I'm married and yes you ask either her or one of my boys and the consensus is usually that I'm an idiot

Coolermans site is great, can't believe I forgot I to look there. I definitely F'd up a couple things... back to the old drawing board. Looks like I know what I'll be doing after Easter dinner!

98% of us around here are. The other 2% are trying to drag us to the finish line!

And now I have to check my rear brake installation from the 90s...

if you line up your adjuster collar with the adjusting hole in the backing plate, you can't go wrong.

My backing plates have adjusting holes on both top and bottom. Not sure if that's because the 45 is originally from NZ or not. I'd have to crawl under my 40 and take a look to see if it's different on N.A. models.

Well sorted out the brakes tonight... finally! New brake wheel cylinders all the way around as well as a new brake master cylinder. Thanks to your guys help and the direction to @Coolerman website detailing drum brake installation everything is sorted. I really should replace the shoes as well but at a smidge over 2 bills for fronts and backs it's gonna wait.

I know this picture is of a different wheel (front VS rear) but at least it shows the correct orientation of the wheel cylinders, brake shoes and the springs. Once again thank you @Coolerman!

I also included a picture of bench bleeding the new brake master. Never bench bled a brake master before but figured might not hurt since I couldn't sort the brakes out. Honestly however I think what made the difference was literally adjusting the wheel cylinders until I could not turn the tire by hand then backing off the cylinders 3 clicks.

Well there you go ladies and germs, thanks very much.

IMG_8711.JPG

IMG_8714.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom